Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats food science and health like as a course?Please Help!!!

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

okay so i asked in the info about courses thread and have searched but cant find any info on here. What are the hours like?,is it interesting?,is it mostly biology,is the chemistry hard cause i dont do that subject.the only science subject i do is ag science and like the biology bit in it.Do you learn about what foods are good for you and different vitamins and stuff or is how food is made i like the sound of both.Also is it mostly girls that do this course? (weird question i know lol)
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I started Food Science and Heath just last semester, Very heavy on the science end for the first couple of years then you start to move into the Food Eng and Food Production side of things,

There is a probably 70/30 split with Females to Males, most of the guys on the course are interested in the Health aspect nutrition and sports nutrition.

The course covers a lot of difference modules, I went back as a mature student had not done any formal study for 20 years so if you are coming out of school you should have no problems catching up on the basics of Chemistry Biology and Physics and there are many support options if you need them like extra tutorials, Science Learning Center etc.

There are so many career opportunities available with this degree both here and abroad. I'm just sorry that I won't be able to do my co op in some far flung country like the younger ones can. Oh to be 18 again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fitz1011

Agent_99 wrote: »
    I started Food Science and Heath just last semester, Very heavy on the science end for the first couple of years then you start to move into the Food Eng and Food Production side of things,

There is a probably 70/30 split with Females to Males, most of the guys on the course are interested in the Health aspect nutrition and sports nutrition.

The course covers a lot of difference modules, I went back as a mature student had not done any formal study for 20 years so if you are coming out of school you should have no problems catching up on the basics of Chemistry Biology and Physics and there are many support options if you need them like extra tutorials, Science Learning Center etc.

There are so many career opportunities available with this degree both here and abroad. I'm just sorry that I won't be able to do my co op in some far flung country like the younger ones can. Oh to be 18 again. :)
    thank you so muchbiggrin.gif one more question though is it much more chemistry than biology and is the chemistry all in relation to food?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

There is a lot of Chemistry and Biology including Microbiology, Health and Food and Human physiology. It's a good science degree all depends on what career path you are interested in, if you want to work in any of the food related businesses, Nutrition or even Pharma you can't go far wrong. As far as UL is concerned it is a brilliant university for Education and Social activities. Campus is great and the Staff and Students are very helpful and friendly.

Advertisement