Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow park houses

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

I was amazed to see this http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=539428 .

39K for a three bedroom house!

I know the place went rapidly downhill over the years and I don't like even driving into some parts of it now (specifically the part that that house is in). But it really is amazing to see a house so cheap in an area that was one of the best estates in town 15 or so years ago.

Comments

One look at the streetmap images and you'll quickly realise that the price should be nearer to €39.95!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

One look at the streetmap images and you'll quickly realise that the price should be nearer to €39.95!

:pac: I just looked at it and the house next door look like they've just emptied the bins all over the front garden.

Really though. Had this area stayed the same as it was in the 90s or so those houses would be up around the 200K mark. IT's amazing how fast a place can go downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thats knackers for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Thats knackers for ya

2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yea, its gone pretty rough alright.

Sad really. Especially for those that couldnt afford or simply didnt want to sell up and move out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's very sad to see. When I was growing up, a lot of the kids I went to school with lived there. Good times! Now it looks like half of it could do with being levelled like St. Mels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Does Gary chink still have a shop there, anytime he'd see me he'd know what i wanted. Top class service! Or does Tom Conway still own half the place, the greedy bollíx.:p

Wasn't a bad place until the council made it into a ghetto.

baldbear wrote: »
    Does Gary chink still have a shop there, anytime he'd see me he'd know what i wanted. Top class service! Or does Tom Conway still own half the place, the greedy bollíx.:p

Wasn't a bad place until the council made it into a ghetto.

No as far as i know Gary is gone. The store is gone all together - huh, i forgot about that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

pretty sure the shop was getting fleeced every other day so they had enough of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sad, in the 80's there were plenty of good families in that area including three of my siblings, thankfully they moved out of the area years ago when it all started to go pear-shaped.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

the house next door has no roof and most of the houses are boared up and full of rubish not worth 40k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thats knackers for ya

Actually, from what I have seen its the students that have created a lot of the problems. Willow park is one big student accommodation complex, only without any supervision.

I would say they are the ones who emptied the bins around the lawn next door, not the knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

syklops wrote: »
    Actually, from what I have seen its the students that have created a lot of the problems. Willow park is one big student accommodation complex, only without any supervision.

I would say they are the ones who emptied the bins around the lawn next door, not the knackers.

I 100% disagree
    No student in their right mind would live beyond the front of the estate. Its scumbags, inbreds, and general wasters that were moved into the back that are the cause.

syklops wrote: »

Have to disagree too I'm afraid.

I was in AIT back in the 90's when willow was exclusively nearly all students.. it was messy alright compared to a residential area or estate, but there were no burnt out or boarded up houses, The further back into the estate you go the progressively worse it gets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have to agree with that last post, in the early 90's it became overrun with students, most of which were fine but there were some going's on in houses that even as a fellow student was simply disgusting, burning everything in the house (doors, furniture) thrashing other houses, general acting like a spoilt brat, Thornbury was where it started, then those bungalows and so on...'scummers' came after the fact and made the position irreversable

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Thats knackers for ya

They're not knackers, it's seriously all Roma gypsies that live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

They're not all Romas, plenty of foreign nationals down there, as the rent's cheap, but they're mostly hard working people (when there was work anyways), still people there that bought houses, although very few I think, plenty of "societies finest" relocated there by councils. So to say "it's all Roma gypsies" that live there, is completely wrong.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    plenty of "societies finest" relocated there by councils.
    I suspect that most of the problems there are caused by this group, rather than travellers/romas or any other "tarred with broad brush" group.

As it was, looking at the streetview images, the house that appeared to be occupied by "travellers" (wild guess based on their appearance) was one of the better kept ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Kinda Sad in a way , i Remember most of my school mates being from down there.

There was actually a time if you owned a house down there ya were worth a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

I remember seeing this house for sale at 100k. I bet they'd let it go for 25k

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

Kinda Sad in a way , i Remember most of my school mates being from down there.

There was actually a time if you owned a house down there ya were worth a few bob.

Nice post demanufactured, thank you, most of the old crew are well pissed off @ the way willow has turned out. Remember this was a bog so even back then there was corruption, i dont want to go there and remember this area of Willow was flooded a few years back by the very people that gave the planning permission for this area of Willow that should never have gone ahead ...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

I remember seeing this house for sale at 100k. I bet they'd let it go for 25k

When it was 100k there was a single picture (like now) but in the bottom corner you could see the edge of a car window. The photographer hadn't even gotten out of his/her car to take the pic. No obvious motion blur, so at least they had the decency to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

AhrSkidar wrote: »
    When it was 100k there was a single picture (like now) but in the bottom corner you could see the edge of a car window. The photographer hadn't even gotten out of his/her car to take the pic. No obvious motion blur, so at least they had the decency bravery/stupidity to stop.

Fixed that for ya :D

But yes very sad the way its all gone. Very nice neighbourhood in its day - everyone knew everyone. In many ways, the town has become a very annonymous place since the park went downhill. You can walk or drive down main streets without knowing anyone despite having grown up there.

Advertisement