Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android UCD WIFI

Options
  • 17-01-2011 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Has anyone managed to get their android phone working on UCD wifi. My samsung galaxy europa has proxy settings but will not connect even when I input the correct proxy data ( the port number and address)
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I have the same problem. I can't get to the proxy settings though. Don't want to have to root my phone... yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

seems all the newer samsungs have proxy settings but mine have no effect. I have rooted my phone but can't find any roms that will work with the galazy europa!!

CyanogenMod looks pretty good. AFAIK it works on most, if not all Android phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

i have an Lg but cant seem to get it working either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

the CyanogenMod doesn't have full support for my specific samsung model, guess I'll have to wait until version 6 comes out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I wasn't aware of any rom that supports proxy servers. I'll have to look into it again.

(Desire on Miui_au)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If its any conciliation (Or bragging right) iOS has problems with UCD's proxy's

ironclaw wrote: »
    If its any conciliation (Or bragging right) iOS has problems with UCD's proxy's
    The thing is, I managed to get loads of people's iPhones on to WaveLAN with no hassle but I can't get my HTC on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Ruski wrote: »
    The thing is, I managed to get loads of people's iPhones on to WaveLAN with no hassle but I can't get my HTC on it.

It just takes ages to connect, which defeats the purpose entirely. I use 3G now. It used work instantly but thanks to iOS messing with the way it decides if connected, its rubbish now IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000
    Android 2.1-update1 from Vodafone Ireland.

Known Issues:
    Proxy – does not support automatic proxy configuration and a hard coded proxy if configured is common to all wireless networks therefore will only work in UCD. (Needs to be removed to use WLAN in other locations)

Settings / Wireless and network / Wi-Fi settings / advanced /
    Proxy = proxy.ucd.ie
    Port = 8585 or 8484

Also individual apps may or may not use the proxy even when configured.

Default e-mail app (Email)
    TLS to SMTP server will not work with smtp.ucd.ie bug documented here : http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2309

App assumes that your user name is your email address i.e. UserID@ucd.ie not first.secondname@ucd.ie and this cannot be configured, mail will send OK but attempts to reply fail.

The free App K-9 Mail is a work around for both of these issues:
    Settings for both are the same i.e. username and password UCDConnect credentials.

Incoming Server: “studentimap.ucd.ie” port “993” Security “SSL”, Auth type “Plain”
    Outgoing Server:”studentsmtp.ucd.ie” port “587” Security “TLS always” Auth type “Plain”

Eduroam config.
    Using WaveLAN Network(or other) brows to:
    http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/wirelessandlaptopsinucd/name,48772,en.html

click on the link to CA Certificate (In table opposite Mac OSX)

Enter the certificate name in the pop up box “cacert.crt” click OK

Enter the password for the certificate store if prompted (This password is specific to the device and configured by the user / owner)

From the Home page on the Phone:

Applications / Settings / Wireless and Networks / Wi-Fi Settings /

Click on eduroam

EAP Method, click on \/ and select TTLS

Phase 2 authentication, click on \/ and select PAP

CA certificate, enter “cacert.vrt”

Client certificate leave as N/A

Identification = UCD Connect “username@ucd.ie” click next

Anonymous identification = “ucd.ie” click next

Wireless password = UCD Connect password click next

Click connect

NB: All entry items in “text” should be entered without the inverted commas.

NBB: The @ucd.ie after the username is what is known as the eduroam realm and is necessary to use the eduroam service in institutes other than UCD which provide an eduroam service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Nice one, i couldn't get eduroam to work this semester (new rom) and all i needed was to download the cert. Didn't have to do that on the olf rom for some reason

Advertisement