Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged double for flights- Advise please

Options
  • 17-01-2011 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Charged double for flights- Advise please
    Hi Looking for some advise.
    I am bringing my family to the canaries in two weeks. I tried to book Ryanair last Monday night but just after I pressed "confirm" the screen froze and after a few mins a pop up box poped up saying there was an issue and if I didnt receive an email confirmation in 10 mins I needed to book again.

I checked my Email and my bank on line to check had the money gone through it had not. Tried again and the same thing happened. Decided to wait until next evening incase there was an issue with their website.

Next evening the flights had gone up so It was cheaper to go on Aerlingus. Booked Aerlingus. Everything was fine until I got an email confirmation this morning from Ryanair.

So I have paid for two sets of tickets. Cost 1300 each airline approx.

Rang Both Aerlines to explain but neither will do any thing. Will write letter to Ryanair but based on past experiences dont think they will be too sympathetic.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Contact your bank. Tell them that the transaction with Ryanair wasn't finalised. They should be able to stop payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The bank should also be able to return the funds within a day or two. Tell them you were relying on the money for paying bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Hi Thanks for replies.

Unfortunately tried that all ready. Banks say there is nothing they can do unless Ryanair refund it.

I put it up for sale on Done deal, hopefully might get back some of the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tell your credit card company you want to file a chargeback for the Ryanair transaction. Did the booking email come through btw?

I got an email titled "Ryanair Travel Advisory for Confirmed Reservation..."
    six days after i Tried to book it.

The bank wasnt helpful at all.
    Can you explain charge back to me.
    Would they not agreement from Ryanair for that aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

sea12 wrote: »
    I got an email titled "Ryanair Travel Advisory for Confirmed Reservation..."
    six days after i Tried to book it.

The bank wasnt helpful at all.
    Can you explain charge back to me.
    Would they not agreement from Ryanair for that aswell?

Who you with? I would threaten to leave if they are not offering you any protection. Usually works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chargeback

Thanks Ras ta.

Its BOI. I rang back again after your info and the girl told me to send in the complaint to their resolution Dept.
    She seemed reasonably confident that I might get it back.

I put it up on done deal. got an offer of 600 for the tickets. Not sure whether to take it or not. I would hate to be left with nothing at the end and owing €1300.

What would ye do?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I would not sell the flights on. I would pursue the course of seeking a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.danindudlin

I accidentally double booked myself on the same flight before (went back in to book for someone else and entered my own details!) - Ryanair actually rang me to ask why I was on the same flight twice and when I told them what happened, they put the money back on my card . . . this was a couple of years ago :)

Did have a friend who did the same thing as you a few months ago except it was for 5k worth of flights with Aer Lingus. After much fighting, she did get her money back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It might be worth hanging on to the Ryanair tickets as well if this current Aer Lingus cabin crew strike escalates. :p

On a serious note it might be worth going through your history folder and printing out any screen shots of error pages that would have showed up when you were originally booking with Ryanair. Sometimes your history deletes itself automatically by default so you would want to be quick.

I booked to Barcelona last week with Ryanair and the exact same thing happened except except I caught it on time. I think they might be doing this intentionally to catch people out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It might be worth hanging on to the Ryanair tickets as well if this current Aer Lingus cabin crew strike escalates. :p

On a serious note it might be worth going through your history folder and printing out any screen shots of error pages that would have showed up when you were originally booking with Ryanair. Sometimes your history deletes itself automatically by default so you would want to be quick.

I booked to Barcelona last week with Ryanair and the exact same thing happened except except I caught it on time. I think they might be doing this intentionally to catch people out.

Probably to pay for their Spanish court-case involving the boarding-pass printing charge issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Probably to pay for their Spanish court-case involving the boarding-pass printing charge issue.
    LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The error is a dynamic page so it will not be in your history.

Yep was thinking that to myself this evening listening to the news,

Going to go through bank to try get money back.

Thanks for all the replies. I will let you know how I get on.

Good News!!!!!

A belated update. I went on the Aerlingus flight which was a hired in Ryanair plane to rub salt in the wounds. However at least I had a good holiday.

Then last week I received a Letter from Ryanair 2 months later saying that They were sympathetic to my plight but all I could do was change the names for a fee of €150.

However Today I received an email from Ryanair saying they had received a letter from my bank (the very same letter I sent to them) and they apologised and were returning the money.

I checked my bank on line and see the money has been refunded to my credit card, not once but Twice.

Presume its a mistake but at least I have my money back.

Many Thanks for the advise above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

sea12 wrote: »
    Good News!!!!!

A belated update. I went on the Aerlingus flight which was a hired in Ryanair plane to rub salt in the wounds. However at least I had a good holiday.

Then last week I received a Letter from Ryanair 2 months later saying that They were sympathetic to my plight but all I could do was change the names for a fee of €150.

However Today I received an email from Ryanair saying they had received a letter from my bank (the very same letter I sent to them) and they apologised and were returning the money.

I checked my bank on line and see the money has been refunded to my credit card, not once but Twice.

Presume its a mistake but at least I have my money back.

Many Thanks for the advise above.

Good to hear!

If they accidentally refunded you twice take it out and let them know the best you can do is change the name of who lodged the money for a small fee of 150 quid :P

(Thats a joke before someone pulls me up on it!)

Advertisement