Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Blu Ray Drive Swap

• 17-01-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried the drive controller board from a KEM-410 (dual laser) blu ray drive on a KEM-400 (single laser) drive?

Reason I ask is Im getting my hands on an 80gb phat, with a broken laser, which uses the dual laser but I have a possibly working drive from a 60gb with the single laser from a previous failed repair attempt. The 80gb was the console in which they transitioned from single to dual laser so I guess what Im wondering if if they changed the controller board or if the changes were made on the drive itself. Probably a fairly difficult question to answer but Il throw it out there anyways.

Could save myself 40quid if I managed to get the drive from the 60gb working in the 80gb.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Redisle wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried the drive controller board from a KEM-410 (dual laser) blu ray drive on a KEM-400 (single laser) drive?

Reason I ask is Im getting my hands on an 80gb phat, with a broken laser, which uses the dual laser but I have a possibly working drive from a 60gb with the single laser from a previous failed repair attempt. The 80gb was the console in which they transitioned from single to dual laser so I guess what Im wondering if if they changed the controller board or if the changes were made on the drive itself. Probably a fairly difficult question to answer but Il throw it out there anyways.

Could save myself 40quid if I managed to get the drive from the 60gb working in the 80gb.

Not going to work. But if you're willing to swap I have the older working (supposedly) drive I could swap for 80gb console (of course I would add some cash).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Nah Il be keeping the 80gb! Buying it to get in on the upcoming cfw fun.

I have a 60gb in a cupboard from a previous failed repair, I was just hoping I would be able to use the drive from the 60gb in the 80gb as it might have a good laser in it. Controller boards being tied to the console the only way to do that would be to use the 80gb controller board (currently attached to a dual laser drive) on the 60gb drive (single laser drive).

It most likely won't work but I may try it anyway when I get the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Will not work due differences.I had one console once which have been modded,mean deck was drilled laser was installed somehow and few other things.I was in shock,anyway not work ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Defo wont work.

This link is helpful :
    http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

Advertisement