Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to build school gym area/storeroom

• 17-01-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi I was wondering how much it would cost to build a basic storeroom on behind our school gym. On a tight budget we want to build on a room for a small gym area and additional storage. It could be built up against the existing gym wall and have a simple lean-to corregated iron roof. I was thinking a single block construction would be adequate. Dimension would be approx 12m x 6m. So materials and labour for 8 foot high wall, 2 6m sections and a 12m section at the back, and then the roof with clear perspex for light in places. Door to be broken into hall for entrance. Again all I need is an approx price to see if it is viable. Cheers if anyone can help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you are dreaming with the idea of single block/corregated roof. This is a school building with access off the school hall. It will surely have to meet the building regs in its entirety from standard of building to planning/fire certification.
    Gym area might also require extra high ceilings, changing areas & toilets to department standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

mickdw wrote: »
    I think you are dreaming with the idea of single block/corregated roof. This is a school building with access off the school hall. It will surely have to meet the building regs in its entirety from standard of building to planning/fire certification.
    Agreed, it's absolute nuts doing anything less.

If this is related to the SWS 2011 for which the deadline is the 21st, it will not be considered as it is an extension and it is increasing the floor area.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭liamolaighin

Maybe a temporary solution would be best so. Must look into prefabs etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If this is related to the SWS 2011 for which the deadline is the 21st, it will not be considered as it is an extension and it is increasing the floor area.

yes only extensions considered are for toilets where there is a genuine need. However if that was the case, Ive seen toilets plus additional accommodation then being constructed with any additional costs being met by school itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

mickdw wrote: »
    yes only extensions considered are for toilets where there is a genuine need. However if that was the case, Ive seen toilets plus additional accommodation then being constructed with any additional costs being met by school itself.

That's my reading of it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

for all the reasons above - and more - forget a single block wall.

Even the roof you describe would be both cold, condensate like mad, as well as having no security - you could put a shoe through it........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement