Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet for weight loss while training

• 17-01-2011 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi, I used to race a lot some years back but gave up after an injury. I have a new bike and gear etc and have been doing a few spins of late just to loose weight. For example, 50k is not a problem, I feel great after it but I would be starving and would take a lot to fill me!
    My question is, what kind of food should I be eating to loose weight? I know I need to fuel-up somewhat but weight loss is my main goal!
    Cheers in advance.
    PS, looking to loose 2 stone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Half portions of everything and no beer or biscuits works for me. The big advantage of this for me is that I can eat with the family and not feel or look as though I'm in denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

hey there, in the same boat as yourself but am now a stone down in weight. I also have the other hurdle of been gluten intolerent which can be annoying as hell sometimes. the main ways i have lost the weight is through set meal patterns and quantities of food. im mainly eating a high protein regular carb and low fat diet.
    a typical day for me would be:
    1/2 cup of porridge in the morning (1.5 cups of water added) with brown sugar or dried fruit and nuts
    lunch consists of a large baked potato with a heap of veg (i mean lots of veg) there is also a choice of erin condensed low fat soup
    dinner consists of chicken, stir fry veg and noodles/ brown rice/ buckwheat etc.

i dont eat anything after 7 at night but allow unlimited cups of tea
    hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

First off, welcome back to the bike.

I tend to be able to lose weight quite fast once I get back into training, the opposite is also true in that I can put on quite quickly as well.

I found last year, which was my most successful year for training/weightloss that just the fact that you are doing more exercise will of course make a big difference.

The problem with post ride eating is seen as a problem by many, but too be honest the reason your body is craving all that sweet food etc is that it has used up its stores and needs it replenised. The window of 2 hours (the sooner the better) after a ride is crucial as most of what you eat is used to replenise rather than just be stored.

I take the view that training is tough enough without making the rest of your day 'training' with your food. Avoid getting hungry, that is when you are most likely to go for your McD's or whatever. Eating small and often. I allow myself plenty of treats as I use that as a sort of motivation and a reward. Training is tough and having to come home and eat rice cakes doesn't seem worth it to me.

I always had cereal, mid morning fruit, lunch and pre ride snack (usually cereal or toast as that sat well in the stomach during a ride).

I did cut down on an extras, beer, crisps etc. Did allow myself to eat normally at the weekend, however it would normally be at a BBQ in the afternnon after I had done 50/100k in the morning so I justified it that way!!!

One other thing, you will hit plateau's, the weight just seems to get stuck or even sometimes seems to go back on. It's normal nothing to worry about.

I found site like dailyburn.com great for seeing exactly how much calories you are easting each day. Didn't go in religiously (especailly if I was pigging out) but it nice to see that you are getting your goals each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Ive found post ride binge eating difficult to stop myself due to feeling ive the excuse to indulge!
    Have found that rather than having snacks post rides I actually will prepare and eat a 'proper' meal. That and drinking a pint of water as soon as indoors has helped.
    A banana mid ride helps with keeping blood sugar constant also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Weight-Lean-Peak-Performance/dp/1934030511

Runner on the front but it covers cycling.

You are bound to be hungry post spin its about eating the right foods which are generally more filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

black coffee before spins and then breakfast on the road i.e from the back pocket after 2 hrs.

Advertisement