Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed with PC

• 17-01-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Hi I had major problems with infections on my pc such as security tool and many other bugs and wouldn’t let me online or
    display any pages etc...
    I went on various forums for advice and when i though i had one infection fixed a new bug popped up one after the other and just was a nightmare...

i decided to do a fresh install and so formatted the harddrive and immediately installed combofix but when i run it it says
    that root has been found on my pc... when i let it complete and do a scan again its still says root is on my pc..
    I thought the fresh install would kill everything....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

A fresh install (assuming you formatted the partition before installling) should clean everything alright except maybe MBR (Master Boot Record) viruses. What version of Windows are you running? You can clean the MBR (in the Recovery Console type 'fdisk /mbr') and then reinstall again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

im on xp pro, i did format entire drive but soon as i run scan it keeps coming back with rootkill infection, etc

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Download malwarebytes from this pc, or another. Transfer (if needed) to your infected pc and run a full scan after installing it.

If you don't have antivirus software, try comodo internet security, or kapersky and install / run those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

you can also try "Spybot search and Destroy"...very handy tool.

kincaid wrote: »
    im on xp pro, i did format entire drive but soon as i run scan it keeps coming back with rootkill infection, etc

Clean the MBR (in the Recovery Console type 'fdisk /mbr') first and THEN reinstall again.

Formatting partitions does not affect the MBR so if there's a virus in the MBR then reinstalling Windows will not help unless you clean the MBR first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

thanks but dont understand (new to all this) can you please explain exactly how i start off in doing this

kincaid wrote: »
    thanks but dont understand (new to all this) can you please explain exactly how i start off in doing this

Have a read through this to learn about the Recovery Console. What you're trying to do is get to the command prompt in the Recovery Console so that you can then run the 'fdisk /mbr' command.

Advertisement