Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The things I do for a finishers T-Shirt...

• 17-01-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Got back running today after a lay off of around 2weeks, which followed a very poor few weeks running during the Christmas period, I had exams, a tooth ache, Christmas itself and holidays in London...there was also the small issue of the snow causing havoc with the running plan.

Recently, I made an excel sheet of the year and outlined a few target races and training plan start dates etc.
    The 1st target race is Ballycotton '10, and although I will be nowhere near the shape I wanted to be in for this race, I'll still be after a top 100 T-Shirt.
    Following that, I'll race Mallow '10, Kilnaboy '10, Emer Casey 10k and a Half marathon in Canada in June....all this before the start of my training for DCM '11, which falls on my 30th birthday this year, so could potentially be a good memorable race!

I did post something along the lines of the following goals in the new year goals thread:
    10m sub60
    half sub80
    marathon sub2:46

I guess, I'll know after the 10mile spring series about the sub60, and each of the other goals are pretty much directly related to that so hopefully I can stay injury free for this and it might just go well.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

For now my current fitness is "back to square one"

17th Jan:
    5m, 42:35mins @8:31m/m avHR158

I should see this becoming easier, but it will take around a week before the HR will come down and the pace can be picked up, I'm prob still not 100% after the recent injury, but my running is on grass so for now it feels fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

seanynova wrote: »
    For now my current fitness is "back to square one"

17th Jan:
    5m, 42:35mins @8:31m/m avHR158

I should see this becoming easier, but it will take around a week before the HR will come down and the pace can be picked up, I'm prob still not 100% after the recent injury, but my running is on grass so for now it feels fine.

Hey seany, great to see you back. A couple of weeks and you'll be feeling a lot better. All those miles last year are still in the bank so to speak, and for a young fella like you in your 20's, sure sub 60 will be no bother ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Nice one Sean. Those missed couple of weeks won’t make any odds in the grand scheme of things. Tis a pity about the injury but you’re on the mend, which is great. I’d say its heavy going right now….but you know in two weeks you’ll be loving it. Anyway, best of luck with everything and this time, I’ll meet ya at the start line at DCM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck with the training Seany...i will be following your progress,your targets are very similar to mine.
    With my current injury hampering me,Sub 60 at Dungarvan might not happen,its nice to have Mallow to fall back on late March...sub 80 is another one for 2011 but 2:46 for the full is possibly a bridge to far for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Best of luck with the goals Seany, sub 2 46 is a savage and ballsey target. Fair play to ya!

• Advertisement

more of the same today, pace was a little faster, HR was a little higher....will step it up a bit tomorrow and do maybe 5 or 6miles all below 8:00m/m, maybe aiming for av pace of 7:40-7:50m/m and see how i get on.

in response to the above comments, thanks for the encouragement. the targets are ambitious, if i fail at the first one then, ill just have to reassess the next goal and so on...but before christmas when i had most of phase 2 completed i was running well....thing is now i dont have time to do all 3 phases again so ill be starting with phase 3 next week on the basis of 2 Q sessions and a long run per week....for injury prevention im dropping the 3rd Q session. not ideal as im dropping the repition phase but plenty of interval and tempo runs in this phase though.

ended up running a lot faster than planned today, i just got into a stride and kept going, i slowed a bit towards the end due to fatigue but mainly on purpose as one of the miles was 6:47m/m. ok, i was tiring towards the end but it will make a big difference when i plan on running miles around 7:50-8:00m/m more frequently. strides will help also i reckon.
    this week, is kind of "get back into it week" so not doing anything specific...as of yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Are you using plan A or the elite plan seany? What marathon are you targeting?

tunguska wrote: »
    Are you using plan A or the elite plan seany? What marathon are you targeting?

not going to race a marathon until DCM, it falls on my birthday so hoping it will be a good one! as for which plan ill use, im not sure....depends on the shape im in...but leaning towards a time based elite plan.

speaking of which, what pace do you run the 40 & 50min tempo runs? do you adjust down the pace by the 15ish seconds as recemmended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

not going to race a marathon until DCM, it falls on my birthday so hoping it will be a good one! as for which plan ill use, im not sure....depends on the shape im in...but leaning towards a time based elite plan.

speaking of which, what pace do you run the 40 & 50min tempo runs? do you adjust down the pace by the 15ish seconds as recemmended?

You should be in great nick by the time DCM rolls around, providing you look after yourself and follow JDs plan to the letter.

I do the Treshold runs at the adjusted pace. I did one last Thursday and it was 45 mins at 6:08/mile. Thats my current T-pace adjusted by 14secs. But Im only back into it so that should be a lot better in 3weeks time.

• Advertisement

i think ill have to go to plan B!

forget about the Dungarvan 10', and esp Ballycotton '10 top100 T-Shirt...i may still race some from the spring 10m series but none of the series will be goal races and may only be tempo runs of 40ish mins....i think ill need to give the leg a few more weeks rest, and after a week odd will only run easy (not like the 'easy' run yesterday!)

its now 21.5 weeks to the half marathon i was targetting in Canada, if i rest up for now and start the quality phases 18weeks out, i should be in good shape for that race, and more importantly, starting the marathon plan in good shape

ive ditched the crutches....back moving without any pain or stiffness....did a small session in the gym yesterday, was moving at 7:10min/lap and i did 400m (1 lap) on the tredmill, did a little X trainer, maybe 2-3mins, did some light stretching after that and a 10min bike ride, Level 1 & 60-70rpm....

today wasnt feeling any ill effects of yesterdays movement so tomorrow ill try a walk/run, 1min on, 1min off....but ill see how it goes. might do a few mins on the bike also before hand or aqua jog.

im afraid to start running again cos if the pain comes back i could be looking at another 2weeks out and i really cant afford it - if so, i might as well scrap the yearly plans!!

Edit: just realised the title of this log doesnt reflect anything about the log anymore - was origionally hoping for a ballycotton 10 top 100 finishers T shirt, at this stage ballyc will be a LSR for me id say

did a walk/run session on the tredmill today, after a 5min walk warm-up @4km/hr ish, i started alternating jogging/walking of 1min intervals, jogging pace was around 7-7.5km/hr and walking again was around 4km/hr & a 5min warm-down following.
    after this exercise, i did some light stretching.

finished this over an hour ago now and put some ice on it as a precaution, but no ill effects at the mo - might be too early to tell though....will do the same tomorrow if all is well, if not ill be looking at another week or so out of action and a visit to the doctors.

woke up this morning and was feeling a little uneasy about going back into training, im basically sh*tting myself about getting injured again....so called the doc and made an appointment for this afternoon, he is a sports doc so happy enough to go see him - after a few bends, twists and pokes around the injured leg etc, i got the all clear...so went to the track to do:

2.8m, 31:00mins @11:04m/m avHR138

intervals were 7x 2mins with 1min recovery....did a 5min walk warm-up

then 7x 2min Easy(maxHR):
    9:38(151)/8:48(158)/8:31(169)/8:14(173)/8:25(171)/8:05(174)/8:23(178)

and a 5min walking warm-down

was windy and cold enough, felt it even more when taking my 1min walking breaks...
    feel ok after them, sitting on an ice pack now though.

hard to see all thisbeing traslated into a 2:46 marathon, when you look at the HR values for the 2min intervals at 8:XXm/m pace....lol

saw TNO at the track also, think he was doing intervals himself but only saw him warming up....hope they were ok for ya - was windy out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Must be a relief to be back Seany,you have all year to meet all your targets.
    Hope it progresses nicely for you.

welcome back seany, before you know it those 7 x 2mins will be equaling 7 x 600m+

cheers lads, not so sure im back yet...still dont feel 100% about the injury(prob mostly in the head), but ill see what happens...

did another interval session today, with 1min walk breaks:
    3.07m, 33:01mins @10:45m/m avHR139

5min walk warm-up
    6x 3min Splits(maxHR):
    8:31(151)/8:19(169)/8:28(168)/8:28(167)/8:18(169)/8:26(171)
    5min walk warm-down

you can prob see the trend, tomorrow it will be 5x 4mins, and somehow build it up to a 3-4m run on sunday without breaks.

another interval session

3.37m, 33:00mins @9:48m/m avHR148

5x 4min Splits(maxHR):
    8:25(172)/7:57(170)/8:11(170)/7:50(172)/8:22(171)

glute is a little worse now, it has been a little sore all week but more of a general pain, but i feel im only one hard session away from it being totally goosed again...doc is away till tomorrow so ill run then and see if its worse and if so ill go back to him....no point going back unless its sore so he can diagnose it properly.

another interval session

3.37m, 33:00mins @9:48m/m avHR148

5x 4min Splits(maxHR):
    8:25(172)/7:57(170)/8:11(170)/7:50(172)/8:22(171)

glute is a little worse now, it has been a little sore all week but more of a general pain, but i feel im only one hard session away from it being totally goosed again...doc is away till tomorrow so ill run then and see if its worse and if so ill go back to him....no point going back unless its sore so he can diagnose it properly.

Hi Seany,
    Been not in the least bit qualified to offer any medical advice, I will anyway :D

I know you probably think your starting back into it slowly, but it is all relative. Rather that going out every day and increasing the duration of your reps, if the glute is acting up, it may be an idea to take a day off, or else just do a few miles really easy.
    I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, but as I'm sure you know, better to take a couple of days off now if needed, rather than been forced to take a couple of weeks off down the road.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Hi Seany,
    Been not in the least bit qualified to offer any medical advice, I will anyway :D

I know you probably think your starting back into it slowly, but it is all relative. Rather that going out every day and increasing the duration of your reps, if the glute is acting up, it may be an idea to take a day off, or else just do a few miles really easy.
    I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, but as I'm sure you know, better to take a couple of days off now if needed, rather than been forced to take a couple of weeks off down the road.

noted, but i cant really go much slower than i have been this week with only 10-20mins of running per day(1.25-2.5m) - but i was thinking about if i should take a day off or not but im not sure that would even help like.

no pain last week, as soon as i start back running there is a slight pain but not sore, can walk, sit, lift my legs etc without any trouble, but in the back of my mind i know if i do say a 7-7:30m/m id be in trouble....think the prob needs to be properly diagnosed and the only way to do that is go back to the doc with symtoms so when it pokes me in X, ill should AHHH! and if he twists my leg Y, ill say OUCH!...

• Advertisement

aM i alRIght?

went back to the doctor with similar symptoms as before but not as severe, (a reflection of the easy pace/low mileage i guess) but im just not happy that i cant shake the injury....so after more pokes, twists and pressure manouvers of the glute/hamstring....i turned over on the exam bed, lay on my back and the doc pushed down on my inner side on my guad, near the groin area, basically the pelvis region....and there was substantial tenderness on the right side....so have been orderd to go for an MRI scan, or otherwise face 8weeks on the sideline with suspected stress fracture....im opting for the MRI....this injury is costing me a fortune, physios, docs, scans....what a disaster....hopefully will be seen to shortly though.

time to do some reading on steess fracture injuries :(

Advertisement