Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given

• 18-01-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭

Have there been any developments on Given leaving Eastlands in the January transfer window?

During late August it looked like he was desperate to get away to secure first team football.

I hope he hasn't got comfy, it really is a test of character for the likes of himself and Keane, do they wanna play or stay on huge wages and sit on the bench?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Mancini won't let him go until he has a replacement in place or at least on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

And he's is not going to sell to their Champions League rivals. I'd say he would be tempted with a move back to Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If i were him i'd move abroad. Somewhere nice and warm and experience a different league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Winston Bogarde Syndrome probaly kicking in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

City superthread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

the alternative to the superthread system is probably total anarchy but i find it a bit boring and probably miss out on a lot of good posts by not wading through the superthreads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Mancini won't let him go until he has a replacement in place or at least on the way.

I thought City were allowed to steal keepers from other teams if something happens to the 12 they already have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

he'd look good behind nesta and thiago silva...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Seaneh wrote: »
    he'd look good behind nesta and thiago silva...

Gay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I thought City were allowed to steal keepers from other teams if something happens to the 12 they already have?

Yeah. That's the way they roll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is there no Man City thread? or failing that a January transfer gossip thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    City superthread.
    kryogen wrote: »
    Is there no Man City thread? or failing that a January transfer gossip thread?

No doubt you hit the report button right?

Shay won't be going anywhere until a replacement is signed, and we are apparently looking at one in the shape of Kieran Westwood. Outside Hart and Given the goalkeeping corp is very limited in terms of quality so no surprises that Given hasn't moved yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Doesn't he have something in his contract saying he can leave if he doesn't play 10% of the games and at the moment he is 12% I think, he really needs to get out of that place, it's doing him no good.

Xavi i didnt feel the need to report it, not like the lad meant any harm, just pointing out to him for future reference that there are places designated for questions such as his, no need for a new thread

kryogen wrote: »
    Xavi i didnt feel the need to report it, not like the lad meant any harm, just pointing out to him for future reference that there are places designated for questions such as his, no need for a new thread

To be fair you could have worded it a bit nicer, especially if as you say it was a genuine oversight. Infractions get handed out all over the shop for backseat modding these days and your own post would probably be considered one of those. Hit report and it avoids that whole mess :)

(Now watch this post get done for it :pac:)

lol your previous one had elements of Back Seat Modding also mate :)

yeah it wasnt meant to sound overly nasty, but i see after reading back that it does look worse then it sounded in my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

Given really needs to get out of there. Even after Hart's howler last week there is not chance of Given getting a look in. I think since Hart is now the England No. 1 Mancini is too afraid to drop him due to the pressure he would face from the media over there to select him. Given needs to go and its a shame the situation he finds himself in. Also, it looks like City wont do business with there fellow CL contenders which is also a shame for Shay as I think he would definitely be first choice if he signed for the Gunners or for Spurs. So if he wants to stay in the Prem it gonna be a midtable club at best for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

From a national team point of view I'd like to see Given move to get regular football, much like Robbie Keane. Looking at the premiership table from 6th place down and there are some really good keepers there who would be hard to oust from a first team place should he move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

DH2K9 wrote: »
    And he's is not going to sell to their Champions League rivals. I'd say he would be tempted with a move back to Newcastle.

He'll not get a look in. Harper is our number one choice now and Krul is fighting for a place. Not a chance he'll be coming back to us.

That_Guy wrote: »
    He'll not get a look in. Harper is our number one choice now and Krul is fighting for a place. Not a chance he'll be coming back to us.
    Well I think he is better than Harper tbh but don't think Newcastle need him as Harper is capable and Krul is decent too, however I think Forster will be the long term Newcastle No. 1.

I think Given is better than most keepers in the league. I don't think he would oust Van Der Sar, Cech, Hart (as we know) but I think he is probably better than most after that have. although there is plenty of decent keepers around so clubs don't need to move for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mancini's atititude has been pretty appalling in my opinion.

Given isn't a number two, as soon as Roberto decided he was going to go with Hart (as good as he turned out to be, I can't help think England's world cup failings in this department might have held influence for his initial decision) he should have let Given know in good time.

Well I think he is better than Harper tbh but don't think Newcastle need him as Harper is capable and Krul is decent too, however I think Forster will be the long term Newcastle No. 1.

I think Given is better than most keepers in the league. I don't think he would oust Van Der Sar, Cech, Hart (as we know) but I think he is probably better than most after that have. although there is plenty of decent keepers around so clubs don't need to move for him.

To be fair to Harper, he has been understudy to Given for years. Anyway, I don't really wanna derail the thread with off topic chat.

Could see Given maybe go to Villa myself.

That_Guy wrote: »
    To be fair to Harper, he has been understudy to Given for years. Anyway, I don't really wanna derail the thread with off topic chat.

Could see Given maybe go to Villa myself.
    Yeah fair enough and Harper deserves his chance.

Villa you think? Not sure if they need him with Friedel there but could be a longer term solution as Friedel is getting on.

Yeah fair enough and Harper deserves his chance.

Villa you think? Not sure if they need him with Friedel there but could be a longer term solution as Friedel is getting on.

I'm only guessing wildly as it would appear that Houllier has been given a good bit of cash to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

noodler wrote: »

Given isn't a number two, as soon as Roberto decided he was going to go with Hart (as good as he turned out to be, I can't help think England's world cup failings in this department might have held influence for his initial decision) he should have let Given know in good time.

Given signed the contract - i doubt it said he would be first choice. He is being paid very well by City.

I have no sympathy for any player who signed for City and expected to be first choice in the long term - Given, RSC, SWP etc, they all jumped on the money train and were replaced quickly enough as was always going to happen.

Given signed the contract - i doubt it said he would be first choice. He is being paid very well by City.

I have no sympathy for any player who signed for City and expected to be first choice in the long term - Given, RSC, SWP etc, they all jumped on the money train and were replaced quickly enough as was always going to happen.
    I don't think Given went there for the money. He is loyal to Newcastle for a long time and I think he wanted to be in contention for trophies. He didn't do anything wrong to warrant being dropped so I think that is a bit unfair to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

As far as I can see the PL teams are sorted as follows for keepers:

Arsenal - Szcheczny seems to be the long-term no.1 for Wenger so can't see him signing anybody.
    Aston Villa - Friedel coming to end of his time so a possibility. Think they'll strengthen elsewhere this window though as not a priority.
    Birmingham/Blackburn/Bolton/Everton/Fulham/Newcastle/Stoke/Sunderland - keeper not a priority as settled first choice
    Blackpool/West Brom/Wigan/Wolves - wage ceiling/wouldn't go
    Chelsea - Cech
    Liverpool - Reina
    Man Utd - VDS at the moment and just signed a new keeper so no chance this window
    Spurs - maybe but Harry seems to like Gomes now (despite inconsistency) and don't think keeper is a priority
    West Ham - could afford his wages and new keeper would help them but would he really want end up playing with a team of turkeys like he was at Newcastle.

So really all I see as possibilities are Villa, West Ham or maybe Spurs. The option of Leicester would be mad as he's too good for Championship level.

Would he move abroad? Italy perhaps? Options are pretty light I fear so expect to see him on the bench at City until the end of season unfortunately :(

Given had to leave Newcastle and it was the only option available at the time.

Despite a relatively strong first season he has been ousted - that decision has turned out to be great for the club but a little more understanding wouldn't go amiss. How or why City are having such a hard time finding a backup keeper is beyond me.

Love to see him go abroad myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

From City's point of view, why would they not want a high-quality backup keeper, which I'm sure is what they see Given as. They don't want to end up having to panic buy/loan/recall a keeper if their first choice gets injured and I doubt they care about their number 2's feelings given that he signed a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All these people moaning about a thread about Shay Given should get a life. The guy is an Irish legend with over 100 caps for his country. He has been the most consistent top class Irish footballer since Roy Keane and its only natural that people would care about him.

City still have Stuart Taylor as a backup keeper too. He was injured when they signed Fulop on the emergency loan last season but providing he is fit now they have a backup.

Given had to leave Newcastle and it was the only option available at the time.

Despite a relatively strong first season he has been ousted - that decision has turned out to be great for the club but a little more understanding wouldn't go amiss. How or why City are having such a hard time finding a backup keeper is beyond me.

Why did he have to leave newcastle at the time? You mean from a career standpoint or something else?

From City's point of view, why would they not want a high-quality backup keeper, which I'm sure is what they see Given as. They don't want to end up having to panic buy/loan/recall a keeper if their first choice gets injured and I doubt they care about their number 2's feelings given that he signed a contract.

When you get two top class keepers in the same team, there's always gonna be unrest with the one who is constantly on the bench.

Given is too good too be a backup keeper to anyone. What other club has a keeper of Given's quality as their No. 2?

• Advertisement

Why did he have to leave newcastle at the time? You mean from a career standpoint or something else?

I don't know the full ins and outs of that particular transfer but imo it went one of two ways.

Either he wanted to challenge for trophies which he couldn't get with Newcastle or Ashley went above the manager and accepted a transfer from City.

I personally think the former myself.

Given is too good too be a backup keeper to anyone. What other club has a keeper of Given's quality as their No. 2?

Chelsea had Cudicini for years.

City don't really behave like other clubs. They have the attitude, for better or worse, that all their players should be of a high quality. Who knows, Hart could get injured and Given might end up playing the rest of the season - such is the way of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

While I agree that Given is too good to be a backup keeper, what other team have the money to pay a keeper of his quality to be no.2?!

Surely the same could be said for the likes of Adam Johnson not starting regularly, Santa Cruz, Adebayor and to a degree even Lescott. These guys could be deemed better than the majority of players in their positions in the PL but would not have gone to City had the money not been so good so it's hard to argue that City are obliged to play them. Just don't understand how people think there would ever be such a thing as loyalty at a new-money club like City.

I don't disagree but surely if you have a plyer you never use of Given's worth then you sell hm.

It is difficult to argue that he is needed when Hart plays FA cup games, all EPL games and even seems to get in for the Europa League lately.

That Taylor or someone else wouldn't be adequeate is a tough sell imo.

Yeah exactly. They were on the road to relegation, people couldn;t see a way back in the near future, the club was being run into the ground, defenders were not being bought and he had given them years of service.

• Advertisement

Chelsea had Cudicini for years.
    Cudicini is no Given in fairness and he moved on to find himself No. 2 to the error prone Gomes at Spurs.

GymJim wrote: »
    While I agree that Given is too good to be a backup keeper, what other team have the money to pay a keeper of his quality to be no.2?!

That is a reasonable point.

I wish his reputation abroad was stronger.

EDIT: Arsenal could still do with him imo - moot point if City refused to sell to them though.

I don't disagree but surely if you have a plyer you never use of Given's worth then you sell hm.

Why, when you don't need the few million he would net you?
    It is difficult to argue that he is needed when Hart plays FA cup games, all EPL games and even seems to get in for the Europa League lately.
    That is a little peculiar, to not make use of a squad but management and player both seem happy that he's fit enough to play all games and I think it's commendable for teams to use their best players and put their best effort into all competitions. Given himself would surely understand a goalkeeper's desire to play in every match he's available for.
    That Taylor or someone else wouldn't be adequeate is a tough sell imo.
    Adequate doesn't cut it in City's world. If I were them, I wouldn't really want a player who was perfectly happy to only play a few games a season; I'd want all my players to fight for the first team. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for a goalkeeper when the incumbent is playing well and not prone to injury but again the keepers behind him at Newcastle and Ireland will have known this same frustration.

That is a reasonable point.

I wish his reputation abroad was stronger.

EDIT: Arsenal could still do with him imo - moot point if City refused to sell to them though.

At Arsenal he would end up in exactly the same position.

Maybe start off as first choice, but would probably be on the bench from the start of next season with the young polish keeper whose name I cannot spell getting the first team spot.

Given is, imo, an over rated keeper by a lot on here. He isn't a bad keeper by any means, but he isn't the world class keeper some think him to be. He would be first choice for most of the premiership though

Why, when you don't need the few million he would net you?

Why keep him by the same token?

Adequate doesn't cut it in City's world. If I were them, I wouldn't really want a player who was perfectly happy to only play a few games a season; I'd want all my players to fight for the first team. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for a goalkeeper when the incumbent is playing well and not prone to injury but again the keepers behind him at Newcastle and Ireland will have known this same frustration.

I think 2 or 3 EL games a season and a Carling Cup outing can be handled by someone else.

Given was established and had a good pedigree by the time Harper was behind him at Newcastle.

Ireland example is a bad one as a second choice keeper can;t just switch nationality.
    At Arsenal he would end up in exactly the same position.Maybe start off as first choice, but would probably be on the bench from the start of next season with the young polish keeper whose name I cannot spell getting the first team spot.

Where your confidence for this statement comes from is beyond me but it certainly didn't come from the huge number of keepers who have come, gone and failed overall since Seaman left (Lehmann aside maybe).

Why keep him by the same token?

As cover in case of injury, same reason anyone has a replacement goalkeepr on the books.
    I think 2 or 3 EL games a season and a Carling Cup outing can be handled by someone else.

A lesser keeper might make the difference between 1 and 3 points in a PL game and cost them big time. They have a few dozen outfield players who are worth a fortune but never play, but they will be there if injuries occur and they will want those players to make the difference between winning and not winning. When you don't have any real budgetary framework, it makes sense to just buy the best you can. It's a bit like replacing DVDs you've already seen with Blu-Ray, just in case you feel the urge to watch them again. Well, maybe not much like that at all...
    Given was established and had a good pedigree by the time Harper was behind him at Newcastle.
    I guess Hart could have taken longer to establish himself but fortunately for him and City he hasn't.
    Ireland example is a bad one as a second choice keeper can;t just switch nationality.
    Yeah, international football is not really relevant here.

Mancini's attitude of wanting to have the best squad possible is appalling? Riiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    City superthread.

theres a what now? for all 2 of their fans here ? :p

its very strange not to see shay every week. hope he gets a new club soon

As cover in case of injury, same reason anyone has a replacement goalkeepr on the books.

Oh is that why people have reserve keepers?

A lesser keeper might make the difference between 1 and 3 points in a PL game and cost them big time. They have a few dozen outfield players who are worth a fortune but never play, but they will be there if injuries occur and they will want those players to make the difference between winning and not winning. When you don't have any real budgetary framework, it makes sense to just buy the best you can. It's a bit like replacing DVDs you've already seen with Blu-Ray, just in case you feel the urge to watch them again. Well, maybe not much like that at all...

The finances bit being true - you'd still hope as a football man Mancini would have a bit of time for Shay's situation.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mancini's attitude of wanting to have the best squad possible is appalling? Riiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have already outlined the reason why and it wasn't the reason you stated. Scroll back and don't roll your eyes at people - it makes you look ridiculous.

Where your confidence for this statement comes from is beyond me but it certainly didn't come from the huge number of keepers who have come, gone and failed overall since Seaman left (Lehmann aside maybe).

Confidence brought about by the fact it was the widely held opinion that it was exactly that plan that had arsenal in for Schwarzer in the summer and not Given or a younger keeper. The performances he put in at Brentford. The opinion of scouts and managers with regards to his potential.

• Advertisement
Advertisement