Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tracers

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

hi all. does anyone know where i can get .22lr tracer rounds? seen them online but cant seem to find them here:confused: any help would be great! thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you can't get them here, well unless you have a restricted licence for a .22lr "restricted licence means you can also have restricted ammo "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

jay.b wrote: »
    hi all. does anyone know where i can get .22lr tracer rounds? seen them online but cant seem to find them here:confused: any help would be great! thanks.

There also a fire hazard so i doubt that ranges will let you use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

didnt no ya could get them for a 22lr, they are some crack on a night shoot with a gpmg:D

what possable use could ya have for tracer rounds with a 22lr? or any rifle for hunting in ireland for that matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

We had a few boxes of RWS tracers at home a few years ago. They were quite old, my father bought them back in the day. Never actually saw them for sale anywhere myself.

They were fun to shoot - great seeing the path of the round through the scope. I think if you tried to use them on a range nowadays they'd have a fit.

leupold90 wrote: »
    We had a few boxes of RWS tracers at home a few years ago. They were quite old, my father bought them back in the day. Never actually saw them for sale anywhere myself.

They were fun to shoot - great seeing the path of the round through the scope. I think if you tried to use them on a range nowadays they'd have a fit.

My uncle told me that back in the day too it was posible to get shotgun tracer rounds !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

what possable use could ya have for tracer rounds with a 22lr? or any rifle for hunting in ireland for that matter??

Pfhh who needs a use, the child in me really wants a box to play with now.

maglite wrote: »
    Pfhh who needs a use, the child in me really wants a box to play with now.

If only that was a reason :P

the best you can do is youtube it and watch others have fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Yep had the shotgun tracer shells too. They were marketed as a training aid for clay shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzByAU2X42M

apart from the fun, i think they would be a great learning tool:D im just starting out shooting, and being able to see the bullet would be of great benefit.the second vid has tracers at the end. btw what they are doing is very irresponsible and i would never do anything like that:p:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vjLBBBz-o&NR=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

i dont know if they would be any extra advantage to learn with maybe to see the power in the round to see how straight it goes but its where it lands i think is more important

they are a fire house ye if your firing them into trees but dont think they would be great hunting as most lads have ammo that they stick with

on a range why would they have a fit it doesnt make it any more dangerous when your hitting targets with some for of bank behind them to catch the round

• Advertisement

i dont know if they would be any extra advantage to learn with maybe to see the power in the round to see how straight it goes but its where it lands i think is more important

they are a fire house ye if your firing them into trees but dont think they would be great hunting as most lads have ammo that they stick with

on a range why would they have a fit it doesnt make it any more dangerous when your hitting targets with some for of bank behind them to catch the round

Well what people forget is that firearms can be fun as long as safety is followed. Tracers would be just that as well as a good way to watch fall of shot etc. and while this thread is for .22s it would be great to have them for 12g to see how a choke performes.

I wouldnt expect them to be a great hunting round either. On ranges, banks eventually get covered in grass and drying dry spells they can catch fire. I know on some ranges there littered with old paper targets so that wont help either.

imo tracers have no place in civilian shooting, they are for directing fire in military situations. if anyone has ever fired them they would have seen them richochet when they hit rocks or stones and shoot into the air loosing very little speed:eek: it is fun to watch but not safe outside a huge range. granted they were 7.62 rounds but im sure 22 tracers would be similar

imo tracers have no place in civilian shooting, they are for directing fire in military situations. if anyone has ever fired them they would have seen them richochet when they hit rocks or stones and shoot into the air loosing very little speed:eek: it is fun to watch but not safe outside a huge range. granted they were 7.62 rounds but im sure 22 tracers would be similar

Perhaps tracers for rifles yes, but shotguns I couldnt agree with you on that.

.... and sorry to burst your bubble there but its not just tracer rounds that ricochet, only that you dont see them do it !

Also from a military application, in (as you mentioned) a light machine gun roll (as thats all the army have in 7.62) its generally fired at the side of a hill. There is no back stop as such (the hill being the backstop) and it isnt needed because of the vast area that is the glen of Imaal. With LMGs and HMG shoots they pic a feature and fire on it (waterfalls, trees etc) so hittin something like hard rocks that will cause a is a higher probability.

Moreso, to sit in the butts of a rifle or LMG shoot you will hear rounds ricochet al over the place.

Thats a completely different contrast to shooting on a civilian range where there is a soft backshop and doesnt see a fraction of the use as a military range.

oh i no and i agree with ya lad on everything ya said. iv been in the butts in the curragh durin shoots, flak jacket and helmet and the odd ricochethittin the ground around your feet:eek: yeah i shot them up the glen and that was into the side of lugnaquilla usin a lmg, full o rocks! iv only used one civilian range so wouldnt know much about them ya no.

dont have a shotgun so ill have to take your word for it!, but like you said for seeing how chokes work ect could be good for learning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I saw a .5BMG being fired off a ford f350 in Wicla on a November evening back in 2008.

Very fancy
    http://img24.imageshack.us/i/superdutysrvfordf350.jpg/

It was just approaching Dusk

(that pic was taken at another time)

ive never heard of any one going to especailly fire the lmg up the glen

noramaly fire the hmg from cemetry hill or else down on the anti tank range for battle innoculation

tack nice pic looks like a special group of lads had you any thin to do with that shoot or were you just lucky enough to see it

we didnt go up just to shoot the lmg, it was a week long camp to fire the .5 and 25 pounders and we did a late evening shoot with gpmg and lmg.

I reckagnise them jeeps too, id say that was a good shoot to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

noramaly fire the hmg from cemetry hill or else down on the anti tank range for battle innoculation

tack nice pic looks like a special group of lads had you any thin to do with that shoot or were you just lucky enough to see it

Integrated right in! ;)

we didnt go up just to shoot the lmg, it was a week long camp to fire the .5 and 25 pounders and we did a late evening shoot with gpmg and lmg.

I reckagnise them jeeps too, id say that was a good shoot to watch!
    Integrated right in! ;)

Not wanting to be a pr!ck ...........or maybe I am :P:P:P:P

but this topic has gone off thread, perhaps were either better off starting our own thread in a military forum or continuing our conversation either PMing or via a PDFORRA meeting :P:P:P

we would need a chairman are you up for the job or we could give brian cowan a shout if your not around

• Advertisement

Integrated right in! ;)

been there done that worn the dryflow

got sick of it 2

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Integrated right in! ;)

If im thinking of the same people they do more than integrate (its the last thing they would do), PDF are nothing compared to them let alone the RDF:rolleyes:
    been there done that worn the dryflow

got sick of it 2

Again if its the same people im thinking of then i seriously doubt you were there as people belonging to that group know better than to say anything about it

Maybe ive got it all wrong though:confused:

IMO tracers have no part in civilian shooting/hunting, the have there purpose and thats military only same as (imo) fmj rounds

maybe you do have it wrong
    i didnt say anything about any group

groups people doubting maybe try not think as much

dont mean to be rude but seriosly it sounds to me some one is reading to much between the lines

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Nah mate, saturday night at that hour i blame one to many :o

Its hard to know what people are talking about when on the net at the best of times let alone after a few :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

hey i just wanted tracers for my cz 452!! ha ha:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

picture 3 in the link below shotgun tracers,but safer and wont start fires still dont know why anybody would want them ,surely the chem light there using would mean you would need a firly big cartridge to fit enough shot and the chem light!
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2011/01/shot-show-2011-day-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hondata92 wrote: »
    If im thinking of the same people they do more than integrate (its the last thing they would do), PDF are nothing compared to them let alone the RDF:rolleyes:

Again if its the same people im thinking of then i seriously doubt you were there as people belonging to that group know better than to say anything about it

Maybe ive got it all wrong though:confused:

IMO tracers have no part in civilian shooting/hunting, the have there purpose and thats military only same as (imo) fmj rounds

ya you have got it all wong:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Tracer shot shells?
    3008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

They look good, and I'd like a go off them.
    BUT.... I doubt any Irish dealer will bring them in because of price, and if they did, we'd be paying some price for em.

• Advertisement
Advertisement