Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 860

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Just wondering does anyone else have any experience of this sat nav. Have had this set for over a year now, and while im pleased with it generally, it does seem to suffer from screen freezing or "crashing". It either has several bugs or one big one. Anyway recently i purchased the speed camera alerts for ireland, as it was only 23eu. Maybe im foolish but i am on the road a lot. however it is causing the unit to crash in certain locations which is annoying as i keep having to restart it. Is there any way of deleting the alerts off the unit? I have tried to download a second time but it makes no difference. The alerts are showing incorrect speeds anyway, and having contacted cyclops uk about this, they have replied saying they are aware of the problem and are currently trying to find a solution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I don't have that unit, but I had a Sony doing the same thing, a firmware update reduced the incidences of this.

If you unit is up to date and it's happening with this frequency, then contact tech support for a query. Garmin units suffer from several known faults ~ Garmin have a replacement policy of issuing a 'similar' unit [not the same unit] that is either new or factory refreshed.

They charge for this outside of warranty but on the big issues they do the work for free still.

Contact them for more info.

You Garmnin should show in in your explorer and your warnings will be there and likely to be a .gpl file in the POI folder.

You can move this file to your computer, taking exact notes, if it's something else you can move or copy it back. For this reason I try to install any of these to the SD card if it's an option. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

BTW a quick search on the Garmin site says it has a software update for this problem for several models. Have you applied this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fonzie01

Thanks for the replies. Yes i regularly plug it into the website and get regular updates for it. And it has the latest software version 4.70. Garmin did offer to take it back when it was in warranty, but i never got around to sending it, however i did read somewhere that this (now defunct) model does suffer from this. it does plenty of other odd stuff too. The voice will change for no reason. The fm transmitter might stop working (a reset cures this). The bluetooth would disconnect from the phone for no reason. I also had a sony, still have it somewhere. It had some plus points over the garmin, however i found it impossible to get updates for.

Advertisement