Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big news !!

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey everybody , I just heard today that a Wavehouse type development is being opened in ireland this year check it out , It look class about time we got something decent !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmUhyAK36c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

dimbledee wrote: »
    Hey everybody , I just heard today that a Wavehouse type development is being opened in ireland this year check it out , It look class about time we got something decent !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmUhyAK36c

Where did you hear it? I heard a rumor last year about something like that but it turned out to be bogus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dimbledee

Wopp wrote: »
    Where did you hear it? I heard a rumor last year about something like that but it turned out to be bogus...

From a good source , I think they are planning to pre launch in the next month or so, its going to be a fairly large project by the looks of it , planned opening for end of summer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

There is no market for that in Ireland, we already have some of the best waves in the world that we can surf for FREE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

there is a flow wave in the national aquatic center

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Can you imagine what that would be like over here? Funderland with water. Bring a stab vest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Doubt it, where is it proposed?

Flash d , its true there are great waves here , I think this is meant to compliment that not take over from it , but there are times when you can go weeks on end with out a decent surf ! the flowrider is also geared towards beginners you want to start in a controlled enviroment as well as surfers you want to build up boardskill or escpape the elements .@ Ted as mentioned before It is not the SAME in the nac , the Flowrider cant be surfed in the National aquatic centre it was an old flowrider put in about ten years ago , because you cant stand up on a board its really just a powerful slide I suppose, Waveloch the company that make Flowrider have developed the technogoly in the last 10 years and the Flowrider is totally different now and there is defo none in Ireland I have been looking for ever ! I think the whole Wavehouse surrounding the machine thing is really cool .. from what I heard its been done properly and I dont need think any Stab vests will be required !

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Dimbledee it sounds like you have all the info on this and just letting it out in small pieces. Give us the full low down!

Are you involved in the development of this?! ;)

The one on the youtube vid is located outside with lovely hot weather and babes in bikinis... Have I missed the latest climate change predictions or is it to be indoors in a big warehouse located just outside Donnybrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

CRenegade wrote: »
    in a big warehouse located just outside Donnybrook?

I'm happy with that. Keep it far away from me thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

I think I am just getting old or maybe its just me but does that video and the wavehouse idea not sybolise all thats wrong with the world.

• Advertisement

No its not in donnybrook .. Is there something planned for that area ? The proposed is a indoor facility with all the same elements as the wavehouse in the video but the dynamic will be creating an indoor beach enviroment , all the inclusions will fit around the Irish/European market as opposed to the American models .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

No its not in donnybrook .. Is there something planned for that area ?

Sorry nothing planned for there that I know of, I was just slightly taking the piss.

So where is this one planned for then - surely must be Dublin region?

Oh I see :) No its not in Dublin its in the South of the country .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw

Was anybody else reminded of this???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Big news my hole, sounds like the Lahich "surf" center being reanounced. That video shows a bar with flow rider, if they have one standing wave that max two people can surf at a time with 50+ waiting, that yoke would use tons of energy and would cost a bom to run so they'd be charging a bom and making money of the side things like burgers and chip + drinks (can't see them haveing a drinkds license).

It's a world away from surfing a reef with a few friends in the west and sharing the craic.

PS OP why have you plastered this in three forums and it's the only thing you've ever posted? Do tell

PS OP why have you plastered this in three forums and it's the only thing you've ever posted? Do tell

Quite simple really, he doesn't want to pay for actual market research, so he just throws his hair brained idea up here to gauge reactions.

No point in putting forward logical arguments against it, as this ridiculous notion will never go ahead.

I would eat my own booties if he actually managed to get investment capital for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Perfect climate for it, 1mln eur well spent if you ask me.
    Presume this is going to the sunny south east?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Is this da same lad who proposed a chair lift out back idea a few months back:eek:

In a world were the average salary has dropped over 6000, its going to be a hard sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

Quite simple really, he doesn't want to pay for actual market research, so he just throws his hair brained idea up here to gauge reactions.
    Exactly. This is ridiculous veiled market research. Ban this fool

In answer to Space hooper this is a free board yes ? I am entitled to put what I want where I want how many times I want , Im pretty sure of that .Unless you have bought up the website , the comments in your reply shows you pretty much know emmm .................nothing, the price point on the flowrider is like 20 euro for an hour ride the other elements that are included in a model like wavehouse are retail that arent already in the country and food chains that arent in the country so its an alternative ... I reckon that alone is a good thing let alone the outside interest its draws with competitions etc the machine practically runs itself its pumps a holding of water around so operating costs are realtively low, and I am not throwing ideas up for market research ,,, the project is two years in development I pretty sure market research has been done at this stage :rolleyes: Its nice to see that there are soooo many positive people in the island of Ireland , good on ye guys :) I think people are going to like it and it will extend through different areas of interest like functions , student, boardsport enthuaists etc, the whole point of the Flow rider is it is a actual sport 'Flow boarding' that brings the tricks of skating , the look of surfing and the style of snow boarding so it pretty broad !

• Advertisement

€20 an hour?? are you having a laugh???

Please dont start with the whole bull**** 'no positive people here' nonsense.. Bertie Ahern was the most positive ****er going, look at the country now.

There's a big difference between being positive and being rather silly.

I think this thread should be closed....

I think its a great project , but each to there own , I think alot of people will support it and enjoy it , but obviously with everything there is always going to be people that it just simply just doesnt float there boat ... In fairness unluckyforsome what the hell does Bertie Ahern have to do with anything .. surely anything that is providing an alternative and creating jobs and attracting outside investment or any investment for that matter is good news especially in the curent climate ... I could not understand the rational behind thinking it is not .. some people just enjoy being a WHINGE I guess , but in general I think people will be delighted to have a facility like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

...attracting outside investment...

Could you expand on this bit please?

generally these projects have a following by international boardsport companies or any company trying to hit a young demographic they tend to anchor at these type of developments,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Jomob wrote: »
    Exactly. This is ridiculous veiled market research. Ban this fool

Please don't use personally abusive language towards other forum users. "Attack the post, not the poster".
    the comments in your reply shows you pretty much know emmm .................nothing

Same goes for you.
    I think this thread should be closed....

I agree. I think we can safely say that the majority of forum users are not enamoured with this idea. dimbledee, don't start another thread on this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement