Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of 200sqm passive house

Options
  • 18-01-2011 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

i only found out about passive houses recently.

ive read enough about them to know that i want one.
    It seems to me that to build a house which is not passive is a wasted opportunity.....

i read that in germany, a passive house typically only costs 5 or 6% more than a non passive house
    can i get one in ireland for 5 or 6% more than a conventional build ?

i know from talking to local building contractors that they have no experience in building to this standard.

Whats a good strategy to get a good value passive house in Ireland ?

im thinking (although im not sure if this is a good idea) about researching German or Swedish factory built houses which are designed passive....I would have to deal with the logistics of importing it here, and also who would build it.

I saw Grand Designs where an English couple bought a HUF house and it was erected by a team of Germans, it wasn't passive.........I'd be thinking about doing something similar, although HUF (if they do passive) would be out of my budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

MungoMan wrote: »
    i only found out about passive houses recently.

ive read enough about them to know that i want one.
    It seems to me that to build a house which is not passive is a wasted opportunity.....

i read that in germany, a passive house typically only costs 5 or 6% more than a non passive house
    can i get one in ireland for 5 or 6% more than a conventional build ?

i know from talking to local building contractors that they have no experience in building to this standard.

Whats a good strategy to get a good value passive house in Ireland ?

im thinking (although im not sure if this is a good idea) about researching German or Swedish factory built houses which are designed passive....I would have to deal with the logistics of importing it here, and also who would build it.

I saw Grand Designs where an English couple bought a HUF house and it was erected by a team of Germans, it wasn't passive.........I'd be thinking about doing something similar, although HUF (if they do passive) would be out of my budget.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm afraid 5% wont' go anywhere near the extra cost of passive - more like 20%. In Germany a 'std' house costs a lot more than here anyway, that's why the difference would be smaller.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This article may interest you

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Companies working on international scale don't need help with logistics.
    They offer it as part of their service.

Compare like with like, looking at the 'std.' Irish home and comparing it with a PH is far off the line. Compare a curragh with a cruise liner.

........i know from talking to local building contractors that they have no experience in building to this standard.

...you've hit the nail on the head with the former point. You do not want to be the training ground for someone - if they themselves don't understand what you're trying to achieve, well.........ymmv and all that.

....the latter point I'd say this: the best built system in the world, is useless if the assembly of it on site isn't to the same standard, and preferably by the actual manufacturer, not sub-contractor's. I'm quite sure German's and Swedes will quote you to do so, but it will come back to price.

The other thing I'd say too, is that the phrase 'Passive House' is beginning to slip into the vernacular like 'Hoover' ...........and whilst those of who build may know it's a building with 'x' performance/properties, many aspiring home-builders think it's something else. Example: we built a lovely house for a lady, and she fitted GSHP, Solar, MHRV. Then, add 1 x open fire and 1 x stove :) The lady had turf to burn, and she wasn't not having it in the house ! The kicker was the back door, though. A half-door :D What the MHRV etc will make of it, and how it'll affect things on those days when it's open is.......interesting ! :p Like I said: it's what the lady wanted.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question but if you get someone to design your house who knows what they are doing and then get contractors who have built passive housese before and there are a few of them then you may be able to get the price differential down to around 10%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

Take a look at www.scanhome.ie

They have offices near Loughrea, in Galway and seem pretty good. They have information on passive homes and prices to be expected.

They even provide tips on helping to make a standard home more passive.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

OP I'm getting a passive extension built on my 1920s dublin house - its about 70% complete. The rest of house is being rennovated "close" to passive levels. The builder has years of experience of this type of work and new builds. I'll PM you their details. Your welcome to come take a look "on site" (I hate that term - its my house!), if you feel like it..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

does anyone know how many buildings in Ireland already built to passivhaus certificates? not eco passive, or equivalent, but to the proper passivhaus cert in Germany.

as Galway tt says, it will become like hoover, jeep etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

bruschi wrote: »
    does anyone know how many buildings in Ireland already built to passivhaus certificates? not eco passive, or equivalent, but to the proper passivhaus cert in Germany.

I believe there are 6 certified now. There are many under construction with the aim of certification, including my own.

I may change my tune once we're occupying the house, but as it stands I would tell anyone who isn't able to afford to pay for the very best experience to run as fast as you can away from it.

My brother in law has a 3250sq ft house. In PH terms the design is a disaster, 400 sq foot feature window facing north for example! He has 90 m2 of bog standard double glazing which was installed for 24k. I have 60m2 of PH certified windows costing 48k! It was occupied in Feb last year. It's a TF building 200mm of cellulose insulation in the walls, 400mm cellulose in a cold attic. Good materials were bought for airtightness, they were installed by himself but money ran out so he never did a pressure test i.e. it may be very airtight, it may not. Bog standard foundation detail with all the cold bridges. 9 ft ceiling in 70% of the house, 12 ft ceiling in the rest. Basic HRV set up. 2 tanks of oil since Feb and the house is always very comfortable, I've visited it quite a few times as I'm interested in this.

I said to the missus on several occasions since both famillies started their builds that one of us was going to be very sorry. Right now it's looking highly likely to be us i.e. the savings on heating etc. may simply not be there.

I based my decision to go passiv on my experiences in appallingly built estate homes. A well built with traditional details home may well perform to an acceptable level.

A person I've grown to know very well is due to move into his close to certified home in April. He is of the same opinion, run a mile!

However, I truly hope to be wrong in time as I'd hate to feel that all the money was wasted. Be pragmatic and be careful about getting swept along with the enthusiasm of people promoting PH.

sas wrote: »
    I believe there are 6 certified now. There are many under construction with the aim of certification, including my own.

I may change my tune once we're occupying the house, but as it stands I would tell anyone who isn't able to afford to pay for the very best experience to run as fast as you can away from it.

My brother in law has a 3250sq ft house. In PH terms the design is a disaster, 400 sq foot feature window facing north for example! He has 90 m2 of bog standard double glazing which was installed for 24k. I have 60m2 of PH certified windows costing 48k! It was occupied in Feb last year. It's a TF building 200mm of cellulose insulation in the walls, 400mm cellulose in a cold attic. Good materials were bought for airtightness, they were installed by himself but money ran out so he never did a pressure test i.e. it may be very airtight, it may not. Bog standard foundation detail with all the cold bridges. 9 ft ceiling in 70% of the house, 12 ft ceiling in the rest. Basic HRV set up. 2 tanks of oil since Feb and the house is always very comfortable, I've visited it quite a few times as I'm interested in this.

I said to the missus on several occasions since both famillies started their builds that one of us was going to be very sorry. Right now it's looking highly likely to be us i.e. the savings on heating etc. may simply not be there.

I based my decision to go passiv on my experiences in appallingly built estate homes. A well built with traditional details home may well perform to an acceptable level.

A person I've grown to know very well is due to move into his close to certified home in April. He is of the same opinion, run a mile!

However, I truly hope to be wrong in time as I'd hate to feel that all the money was wasted. Be pragmatic and be careful about getting swept along with the enthusiasm of people promoting PH.

in regards to cost, do you know what yours getting the cert will come in at? is it direct labour or have you contracted it? its good that someone can point out the OP's figures of an extra 5% being wrong, which I expect to be way more than 5% on a standard build.

there is a lot of hype about passivhaus, and I've seen one project which is way way overbudget and it shouldnt be, just because of it. the returns from it just dont seem to be worth the extra outlay

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    in regards to cost, do you know what yours getting the cert will come in at? is it direct labour or have you contracted it? its good that someone can point out the OP's figures of an extra 5% being wrong, which I expect to be way more than 5% on a standard build.

there is a lot of hype about passivhaus, and I've seen one project which is way way overbudget and it shouldnt be, just because of it. the returns from it just dont seem to be worth the extra outlay

About 1100 per m2 to builders finish. Direct labour! In order to go direct labour I've had to run the build at a crawl. The last thing I need is to have 3 trades on site simultaneously for 3 days in winter when I'm in work. I could walk in a saturday morning and find all sorts of mistakes, very genuine but still expensive mistakes. If we hold to schedule the house will have taken 2 years start to finish.

About 110 per m2 to builders finish. Direct labour! In order to go direct labour I've had to run the build at a crawl. The last thing I need is to have 3 trades on site simultaneously for 3 days in winter when I'm in work. I could walk in a saturday morning and find all sorts of mistakes, very genuine but still expensive mistakes. If we hold to schedule the house will have taken 2 years start to finish.

I'm assuming thats feet, or else a zero is missing, otherwise I'm going to build a passivhaus in the morning! :pac:

thats not bad though in fairness, although very time consuming. fair play to you for going for it anyway, I know I wouldnt have had the time or money or drive to try achieve something like that. hard to get those certs with all the paperwork required, but at least it will be a unique type build.

the thing I dont get is the 'passive houses' being marketed, but yet there are so few actually certified, with your assumption of 6 in the whole country. I had thought it was as low as that, if not lower alright, just showing that it is far from common and hard to get contractors locally of any sort with good experience in it.

II may change my tune once we're occupying the house, but as it stands I would tell anyone who isn't able to afford to pay for the very best experience to run as fast as you can away from it.

Hi sas - sorry to hear about your experience, but I do think you're right. In this market, I think the middle ground is not a bad place to be. And middle, to me, is the 35 - 48kW mark. YMMV and all that.

If I may, below is the text if an email conversation on the subject, which I'm pasting in below. It's not 'certified' science, just an attempt at common sense reasoning, and it's not a dig at PH, but it's an attempt to open up the debate on what's achievable, within given means. Even watching Duncan on TV last night, where he was talking to the pensioner burning 'smokey' coal - and wondering why, the pensioner said he couldn't afford the smokeless stuff. So we have to live within our means......

Anyway, a copy'n'paste extract (modified), as follows:

I suppose the issue of what’s ‘passive’ and what’s not is the issue. It’s kind of like the word ‘Hoover’ has worked it’s way into the vernacular. A lot of people say ‘passive’, but what they really mean is ‘efficient’.

Attached is a ‘typical’ energy costs sheet, showing 4 specifications of houses, and using a 148 sq m footprint ......select fuel, and you get an idea of annual heating costs. Fwiw, the house baseline (88.5kW) is based on an actual BER report for a real life, masonry house, so it’s a realistic figure. The 48kW house is based on an actual .....house that also has a certified BER. And of course we have he PH value of 15kW as we know.

In the example shown, a ‘true’ PH house will cost very little: € 184 p.a.

The 48kW house .....and so the energy bill there is € 589 p.a.

So, €589 - €184= €405, p.a. in fuel savings.

All good :)

Caveat on the next bit: it assumes many things.

Say, a ‘true’ PH house costs 10% more, to build (anecdotally it can be more).....then using a basic of €1100/sq m, very approximately, a PH house will cost an extra € 16,280 to build. So, dividing the €16280 extra build cost by the €405 p.a. annual fuel savings, means the ‘true’ PH house will recoup the cost in…………40 years. Let’s say fuel bills go mad, and it takes less………say 30 years. Or 20. Either way.......it's long........

Another factor of course, is that the extra build cost of €16,280 has to come from somewhere, and if it’s the bank, than you’ll find (using the AIB online mortgage calculator today……)…that it actually cost’s you €21,840 extra over the life of the mortgage. That’s an extra €5560 in interest alone. Once again, divide by our friend, the annual fuel saving of €405, and you find……that’s another 13.7 years, just to cover the interest……….

You can amend those sums to be whatever you want, but (fundamental) differences will remain, and you need to think about those.

Does this mean you shouldn’t build a true PH house ? No, certainly not, as true PH (can) bring other benefits in terms of comfort, health, etc., and yes, no bills is very, very attractive. It just means to make sure the eyes are open before you start. If after all that deliberation, it 'stacks up', then yes, build a PH.

Of course, if you don’t change your car once, for just one ‘cycle’, in your lifetime, you’ll recoup all the extra cost anyway !!,

Er, discuss ? :confused: (confused? I think I am !! :D )

Look at it this way: with a B1 rating achievable for €750 sq m, I think it's good value. In a 100 sq m 3-bed semi-, that'd be approx €460 p.a. in fuel. What do ye think ?

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »

Er, discuss ? :confused: (confused? I think I am !! :D )

Look at it this way: with a B1 rating achievable for €750 sq m, I think it's good value. In a 100 sq m 3-bed semi-, that'd be approx €460 p.a. in fuel. What do ye think ?

I get what you are saying on it all, and would definitley agree. for the extra cost in building such a house, I dont think the long term savings are worth it.

in similar circumstances, I was asked why I was putting in geothermal and UFH at expense of rads and oil, and it was probably a difference of €10k to do this. but I would value this more essential, and not even in recouping the savings in bills down the road, but just knowing that there is no dependancy on oil when we dont know how that will be in 20 years time.

it is extremley hard to get a1 rated houses in Ireland, and the cost in pushing them up that extra grade point or 2 is massive in respect to the difference in ratings.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Hi sas - sorry to hear about your experience, but I do think you're right. In this market, I think the middle ground is not a bad place to be. And middle, to me, is the 35 - 48kW mark. YMMV and all that.

We're grand. I should say that as it stands the extra build cost isn't going to cripple us fortunately.
    Plus I do love the windows I've ordered, they are effectively a beautiful piece of furniture.
    I've enjoyed alot of the experience too. Met some really great people in the trades e.g. I was genuinely sorry the day my block layer picked up his mixer. Great guy, no fuss, good work.

I set 1 flag in the ground when I started this and that was that I would be honest with my experience. If I regret it I will state that. I will state what I would do differently. That way at least someone else can take what I've learned and decide for themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I set 1 flag in the ground when I started this and that was that I would be honest with my experience. If I regret it I will state that. I will state what I would do differently. That way at least someone else can take what I've learned and decide for themselves.

Quite an admirable trait, so easy to join a punch drunk wagon that justifies every personal decision even when not the best, thus perpetuating further potential 'mistakes'.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

You aim to get certification.......I'm just trying to understand a few things.

Did you start out with a passive design using the PHPP software ?

Would I be correct in saying that if you build your house exactly according to spec, and the workmanship, airtightness is to the level required, you are certain to get certification...... what factors would deny you certification (if you started out with a passive design) ?

You went direct labour....did the guys you employed have knowledge and experience of building a certified passive house ? Did they have to build to a level of detail better than they usually do ?

Did you start out with a passive design using the PHPP software ?

We designed a box of a house with the basic principles of a passive house in mind. The design was then validated in the PHPP that if a certain specification is used, the house would indeed satisfy the PHPP and could obtain certification. Assumptions were made at this stage however that are as yet to be validated.
    Would I be correct in saying that if you build your house exactly according to spec, and the workmanship, airtightness is to the level required, you are certain to get certification...... what factors would deny you certification (if you started out with a passive design) ?

This is my understanding.
    You went direct labour....did the guys you employed have knowledge and experience of building a certified passive house ? Did they have to build to a level of detail better than they usually do ?

The only people involved or to be involved in my home that had any PH experience are the external insulation contractor, the window supplier and the airtightness installer that I will use.

The detailing is being handled by myself. I've spent 4 years to date on forums trying to develop the knowledge. It's a constant struggle and the primary reason that I said to "run a mile". I've depended on the architect tech. so much to bounce ideas off. I've obtained advice on forums from people too which has directly contributed to my home. My home was designed to be easy to build and it's still been a challenge.

The level of detail relative to typical sites varies by build spec.

My home is regular block on the flat with external insulation.

Take the block layers job. No dpcs, no cills, no insulation and no wall ties. His job was easier than usual.

The plasterers only difference is that they must plaster to the floor and to the underside of the hollowcore concrete flooring I've used upstairs.

The roof was a slightly different story but the roofer was perfectly competent and did a great job.

The difference is that there are additional trades involved. For example, an external insulation contractor or an airtightness installer. You can do your own airtightness work but it's very time consuming and very monotonous. I may have to do some of this myself (budget restrictions) but I'm trying to avoid it.

There are certain things the electricians and plumbers can't do and they need to be clear on that but it's not wildly unusual what you need them to do.

You need good trades people, willing to accept that this is what is needed and that will follow instructions. A phrase I hear often is "Fair enough, if that's what needs to be done, that's what needs to be done". One evening my block layer wasn't able to contact me because I was in a work meeting. He had called because they were unsure as to where the hollowcore wrap was to go and had built it into a wall. They had guessed incorrectly. They had also contacted me and given me the chance to undo it before it set and no harm was done. If it had been the next morning, it would have been set and the membrane would have been damaged when I tried to get mortar etc. off it.

Also, don't do anything without clearing it with your certifier. I enjoy a great relationship with mine because he's come to understand that I lose sleep if something isn't done to the letter of the law.

I will ask, why do you want a PH?

If it's to save on your heating bills then I would suggest that the savings may not yet be there. If oil doubles in price every 10 years from here on then it's a different story.

If you see it as your "Everest" then more power to you. Do me a favour though, if you come across my body on the way up, could you tow it back down to the wife please so I can have a proper burial!

........ I've spent 4 years to date on forums trying to develop the knowledge. It's a constant struggle and the primary reason that I said to "run a mile".

Et tu, Brute ?

....sounds like my first house......that method really can suck the life out of you...........house no.2, though, I got 'A Man in a Van'. House done in 12 mths.

Thou livest and thou learnst, truly.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

If you see it as your "Everest" then more power to you. Do me a favour though, if you come across my body on the way up, could you tow it back down to the wife please so I can have a proper burial!

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

The detailing is being handled by myself. I've spent 4 years to date on forums trying to develop the knowledge. It's a constant struggle and the primary reason that I said to "run a mile". I've depended on the architect tech. so much to bounce ideas off. I've obtained advice on forums from people too which has directly contributed to my home. My home was designed to be easy to build and it's still been a challenge.

As a matter of interest SAS, did you have prior experience in any form with regard to building a house ?
    I'm trying to figure out how feasible it is for someone with no building experience to drive a passive house build.....getting information from websites and internet forums and some building professionals......

As a matter of interest SAS, did you have prior experience in any form with regard to building a house ?
    I'm trying to figure out how feasible it is for someone with no building experience to drive a passive house build.....getting information from websites and internet forums and some building professionals......

I had no building experience or knowledge whatsoever. Nor was there any in my immediate familly.

How will you tell the great advice from the nonsense? I've benefited hugely from the fact that one of my friends was dealing directly with the PHI and they were directly involved in his build. I managed to organize the same for myself. From what I've heard however, they no longer offer this service this due to the demands on their time so life just got alot more complicated.

What we're up against. 2 days ago one of our fella boardsies rang me to see if I'd made any progress on my hrv. 2 hours ago another ph self builder rang me about the same thing. None of us are having any joy on this one. I've yet to speak to an Irish company on the subject and believe they were competent. I want a PH certified unit. I want a duct layout designed for me. I want it installed and I want it commissioned. I can't get it. Very annoying I can tell you. This is part and parcel of my days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Am currently at roof level on a hopefully to be certified timber frame passive house. Reckon you are looking at 15% additional over a good quality build which is well insulated etc.... A lot of this cost is triple glazing, higher spec HRV, extra insulation etc.. There is some limited saving in slightly smaller boilers etc.... but is small money. Biggest issue I've found to date has been getting the right people for the job, the experience isnt out there yet

Benchmarked your typical irish build done direct labour over the last 10 years etc...., it could more like 30-40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Passivhaus is being done now for convention build costs, it just needs to be clerverly designed and detailed. Comparing Passivhaus build with reg minimum is unfair as the components and workmanship are of very different quality. I think 8% is the average extra cost. In Germany only one in ten houses which aspire towards passive, will go for certification. You don't build passive solely because of energy costs. You do so because, it is a good approach to get a good quality building, which will perform as its designed. Air tests and site investigations make sure of this. It is also a building which will last. Conventional builds last 28 years, Passive should last 100 years. We'd pay double for a car marque which guarantees that extra quality of workmanship, why not pay 8% for a house.

I'm not that bothered with Certified passive, for most budgets 20-25kWh of space heat demand is appropriate to the budget and the shape. I've been involved with about 8 new build houses that aimed for passive and am only on my first certified passivhaus, which has just started on site. SAS has no doubt put a huge amount of research and hands on management into the build, but that time invested is for a purpose, it is to fix problems that are ignored in conventional building. This will result in a more comfortable building.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Conventional builds last 28 years
    Where on earth did you get this from?

Passive should last 100 years.
    And while we're on the topic of imaginary figures - where did you get this from?

I have to say Im far from impressed at the underlying agenda in most if not all of your posts in this forum.

Passivhaus is being done now for convention build costs, it just needs to be clerverly designed and detailed. Comparing Passivhaus build with reg minimum is unfair as the components and workmanship are of very different quality. I think 8% is the average extra cost. In Germany only one in ten houses which aspire towards passive, will go for certification. You don't build passive solely because of energy costs. You do so because, it is a good approach to get a good quality building, which will perform as its designed. Air tests and site investigations make sure of this. It is also a building which will last. Conventional builds last 28 years, Passive should last 100 years. We'd pay double for a car marque which guarantees that extra quality of workmanship, why not pay 8% for a house.

I'm not that bothered with Certified passive, for most budgets 20-25kWh of space heat demand is appropriate to the budget and the shape. I've been involved with about 8 new build houses that aimed for passive and am only on my first certified passivhaus, which has just started on site. SAS has no doubt put a huge amount of research and hands on management into the build, but that time invested is for a purpose, it is to fix problems that are ignored in conventional building. This will result in a more comfortable building.

OMG. No, really, OMG.

You should start reading people's post's on here. No one, no one, gets anything close to passive for only 'std' costs. To suggest you would, is, imho, misleading.

And, make up your mind: PH is either same-as-std, or 8% more. Which is it ? :confused:

Secondly - we're dealing with Passive........or are we ? SAS most certainly is, and what he's gone for. PH, means you can't go past the magic 15kW marker. If you do, it's not PH. 20-25 2kW is a mere......25-30% off.........so maybe that's how you're meeting the 8% cost barrier ? By being 'only' 25%-30% away from PH in the first place. Sure, we could all do that.......

As for design life of 'conventional' of 28 yrs - Ha! - what garbage. And that's before we get to the fact that PHI was only established in 1996 !!!

And comparing cars to houses is equally rubbish. We pay more for cars (compared to Germany) because of taxation - it has nothing to do with quality, one way or the other.

Ode To The Motorist

28 years and 100 years! Hillarious! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jesus my oul lad is going to have a fit when i tell him the bungalow he built 32 years ago is ready to come down now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mfceiling wrote: »
    Jesus my oul lad is going to have a fit when i tell him the bungalow he built 32 years ago is ready to come down now!!
    I think I'll move as my house was built in 1984. Just one more year left.

Im surprised that I got it insured at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Conventional builds last 28 years, Passive should last 100 years.

This is a point I was wondering about with passive house, and any energy efficient house really. The structure maybe standing, but will it still be passive ? Will the airtightness degrade as the glue on tape fails ? Likewise will the insulation still have the same U value ? Not to mention all the replacements that would be required, new HRV, new glazing to replace leached gasses etc.

Advertisement