Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sham, scan, shaft

Options
  • 18-01-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Tuam, Milltown and Dunmore.
    Does anyone have background info on these nicknames?
    Is sham a derogatory term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

biko wrote: »

Every where but Tuam, sham seems to be a derogatory term. I have no idea how it came about though!

I remember the first time I heard that Galway City kids were using the word sham in the vein that some people would use knacker, I was shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

what about "scobie"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

biko wrote: »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sham&page=2

A respected member of the community in the urban district of Tuam, County Galway, Ireland. Often confused with the terms chav and knacker

There's also a facebook page on it
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tuam-Slang-Are-ya-wide-Sham/313518517294

I don't know about its origins but i do know its used in certain parts of Limerick city too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

'Sham', as well as a lot of Tuam Slang originates in the Gammon and Cant dialects of Irish travellers.

While Tuam natives call each other 'shams' as a friendly term, Travellers see themselves as the true 'shams', and would see non-travellers in Tuam as 'buffers'. However, non-travellers in Tuam (shams) refer to people from outside Tuam in rural areas as 'buffers'.

I once overheard a posh city lad telling his friends he got chased by a group of shams last night. The image in my head of a load of Tuam lads chasing a Galway boy raised a chuckle....though obviously he meant something else.

Also, I mistakingly said 'Sorry, sham' (as I would so often in Tuam), to someone in Galway City who I bumped into, and they were extremely offended, and asked me whether I was from Westside or Castlepark...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 skylock

Sham Just means friend,just like the English use the word mate,it is not unique to Travellers.Sham is just a Tuam word,in A thenry some people use the word Horse.All Tuam people are seen as shams,and Travellers whom i know use it as the british would use mate.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

skylock wrote: »
    Sham Just means friend,just like the English use the word mate,it is not unique to Travellers.Sham is just a Tuam word,in A thenry some people use the word Horse.All Tuam people are seen as shams,and Travellers whom i know use it as the british would use mate.:confused:

I didn't say it was unique to Travellers, I said it originated with Travellers and now most people in Tuam use it in one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 skylock

I do know about seven Years ago a brother of Frankie Fallon had an article in the Tuam Herald stating that the word came from a film they did see at the Odeon Cinema Tuam.He stated that as far as i recollect that they were the first to use the word in Tuam.I think it would be worth researching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Hhmmm I would have been of the impression in general countryside folk are scans although it originated in Milltown and townies are Shams.

Oh actually Buffs, we were buffs in Secondary School. :rolleyes::D ie: any other country-side folk not from Milltown. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

bagels wrote: »
    what about "scobie"?

I think "Scobie" is a townie slagh term. First heard it in the east side of town - Ballybane/Mervue area.

Ya scobie as in you fool. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

a sham is a shamrock rovers supporter some where along the way it became an offensive term(probaly cause most shamrock supportes are a bit rough around the edge if you know what i mean:D)
    a scobie is a slang term for a subaru
    never knew it was a term to describe someone till i went on boards
    never heard of shaft

• Advertisement
Advertisement