Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Crime Stats?

• 18-01-2011 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭

Mods: Not trolling here, genuine question for a college project

Looking for some stats on Limerick crime - not conjecture or opinion - stabbing in particular. A project on unfair bias in the media. I recall one article that contrasted a number of cities inc. Cork, Limerick, London etc. but can't source it

I really don't want this to mutate into something else, but if anyone knows where I can get crime statistics can you point me in the right direction please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

leakyboots wrote: »
    Mods: Not trolling here, genuine question for a college project

Looking for some stats on Limerick crime - not conjecture or opinion - stabbing in particular. A project on unfair bias in the media. I recall one article that contrasted a number of cities inc. Cork, Limerick, London etc. but can't source it

I really don't want this to mutate into something else, but if anyone knows where I can get crime statistics can you point me in the right direction please

The Central Statistics Office would be a good place to start, try cso.ie.

This the same Leaky from Mfans? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It might also be worth noting that when stats are thrown about in the media, they quote the population figures for limerick city, ie those living within the city boundary but they also quote the figures for the Limerick Garda division, which covers parts of Clare, and the whole of county Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

foinse wrote: »
    It might also be worth noting that when stats are thrown about in the media, they quote the population figures for limerick city, ie those living within the city boundary but they also quote the figures for the Limerick Garda division, which covers parts of Clare, and the whole of county Limerick.

Thanks Foinse, that's the kind of stuff I'm after, very interesting. How to "prove" the media does this is another matter.

CiaranMT - one and the same;) Cheers for that, don't know how I didn't think of them - some great stats in there in relation to crime in Limerick and Dublin.

Anyway, for what it's worth - I've lived in a number of cities on 3 different continents and I feel safer in Limerick than most of them, Tralee included!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

leakyboots wrote: »
    Thanks Foinse, that's the kind of stuff I'm after, very interesting. How to "prove" the media does this is another matter.

CiaranMT - one and the same;) Cheers for that, don't know how I didn't think of them - some great stats in there in relation to crime in Limerick and Dublin.

Anyway, for what it's worth - I've lived in a number of cities on 3 different continents and I feel safer in Limerick than most of them, Tralee included!

You might recognise a Charco on there from time to time ;)

In relation to how the media twist info, the TV3 programme which labelled Limerick the murder capital of Europe a while back was a good example. Per capita, it had the highest numbers of murders, so TV3 could use that line, even if places like London, Paris, etc would have multiples of the number of killings Limerick had.

Or at least, that's how I remember it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Went to a debate in UL a couple of year's back on the very topic, Limerick's perception in the media. Cllr Diarmuid Scully was one of the speakers and he rubbished some article I think it had been in the Oirish Daily Mail or one of those imports that played out the whole Murder Capital of Europe line, he had loads of figures to back it up, it might be worth getting in touch with him:
    Cllr. Diarmuid Scully, FG

Dscully@cllr.limerickcity.ie
    Address:
    19, Lynwood Park, Limerick.

On The Panel last Thursday night they were joking that Limerick had taken over from Glasgow as the European murder capital, don't think you should be using what's said on The Panel as the best source of raw data mind you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement