Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i still covered if car is sold?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

So I recently sold my car and have only sent out the log book for the change of ownership. I am moving to america in 2 weeks and my insurance is due in march. I wish to let my insurance run out so i get the full years no claims bonus out of it for when i return next year.

My question is "is my old car still insured so that I have driving of other cars 3rd party" even tho theres been a change of ownership on the car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

You no longer have a financial interest in the car on the policy. Don't know how that would affect a claim you would need to check... Probably cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The person who bought the car won't be able to insure it if there's already a policy insuring the car (afaik) - in which case they'll start asking questions.

Get yourself a cheap banger and swap the insurance to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

The person who bought the car won't be able to insure it if there's already a policy insuring the car (afaik) - in which case they'll start asking questions.

Get yourself a cheap banger and swap the insurance to that

Yes they can get insurance .. Just call your insurance company to see what they say or just leave it and let it run out. Claims can't be processed on a car that you don't own so if someone tried to claim it would be a waste of time as you have evidence that the car is no longer in your possession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The subject matter of the policy is the car you sold, so you cannot avail of the policy benefits such as driving of other cars. Personally, I'd let the policy run down to collect the extra year's bonus.

The new owner can insure it for themselves, no bother

Advertisement