Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Architect needed or not?

• 18-01-2011 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

We're planning a modest extension to our house/kitchen. Not sure if we should use an architect or not. It should be reasonably straightforward but may require re-routing of an external drain as I don't fancy having this drain covered by the new floor. What do you people here think...should we employ an architect or not? Any idea what fees would amount to for a 12ft. by 12 ft. extension?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

An architectural technician/technologist or building surveyor or engineer could also do the job.

My advise is to engage a professional, its often the small projects that can end up causing the most grief and problems for homeowners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fees would depend on what level of service you are after.

Planning premission drawing and application
    Construction drawings only
    Construction drawings and supervision of work
    Planning app, construction drawings and supervision of work

Basically the 4 levels there. Cheapest to most expensive.
    Planning is dependany on if its required or not. Then you need to decide if you want him to supervise or not. Off the top of my head fees will prob start at 500 euro and run to a few thousand,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Small point.

Some local Authorities will insist existing drains are re-routed around the extension and Architect's or Engineer's drawings showing proposals submitted.

years ago you could just build over them using lintels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Small point.

Some local Authorities will insist existing drains are re-routed around the extension and Architect's or Engineer's drawings showing proposals submitted.

years ago you could just build over them using lintels.
    I might be missing something, but the OP wants to re-route, whats the issue?

Advertisement