Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin : Rochus Misch

• 18-01-2011 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭

I have two upcoming trips planned to visit Berlin and I was just wondering if Rochus Misch - the last surviving member of staff who worked in the Fuhrerbunker - still conducts weekend tours of the site where Hitler committed suicide.

I realise that Misch is an elderly man now but a friend of mine had the good fortune to attend one of his talks/tours three years ago and I was hoping that Herr Misch might still do same.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

http://europeforvisitors.com/berlin/articles/underground-berlin.htm

afaik the main man there is called "Dietmar Arnold", who has appeared with Rochus Misch on many relevant documentaries.

should be an interesting trip, take pics !! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

marcsignal wrote: »
    http://europeforvisitors.com/berlin/articles/underground-berlin.htm

afaik the main man there is called "Dietmar Arnold", who has appeared with Rochus Misch on many relevant documentaries.

should be an interesting trip, take pics !! :)

Thanks for the link.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There isn't really anything to see at the site of Hitler's bunker. All traces of the bunker have been obliterated and now it's just a littered grassy patch between an apartment block and a children's playground.
    I did The Third Reich walking tour when I was there.
    try www.neweuropetours.eu

There isn't really anything to see at the site of Hitler's bunker. All traces of the bunker have been obliterated and now it's just a littered grassy patch between an apartment block and a children's playground.
    I did The Third Reich walking tour when I was there.
    try www.neweuropetours.eu

Thanks.

I was aware that the bunker had been destroyed.

I suppose I am more interested in hearing the recollections of the last surviving member of staff who worked in the bunker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

In theory the bunker hasnt really been destroyed as the russians didnt make a great job of getting rid of it to be honest. What has been done has to try and avoid all possilbe entrance to it and thus when you do the tours all you see is the patch of grass behind the wooden sign on the plot. Did the sandermans tour myself while in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Read some where the other day that Misch has stopped doing the tours and autographs because of old age and failing health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

roundymac wrote: »
    Read some where the other day that Misch has stopped doing the tours and autographs because of old age and failing health.

That is correct. He will not be able to reply to letters any more so I am sure tours, at least with him as a guide, will be out of the question.

Thanks fellas.

Yes I read that Herr Misch due to his advanced years has now said that he cannot in future reply to all the mail that he receives from around the world.

I understand that Herr Misch had been receiving dozens of letters per week and had insisted on reply to each and every letter personally and even sent sign photos of himself with each reply!

Remarkable man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Preusse wrote: »
    That is correct. He will not be able to reply to letters any more so I am sure tours, at least with him as a guide, will be out of the question.
    LINK to a small article to confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Looking on amazon, he has written an account of his WWII experiences, but it only published in German.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/letzte-Zeuge-Hitlers-Telefonist-Leibw%C3%A4chter/dp/3492257356/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297628093&sr=1-1

Manach wrote: »
    Looking on amazon, he has written an account of his WWII experiences, but it only published in German.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/letzte-Zeuge-Hitlers-Telefonist-Leibw%C3%A4chter/dp/3492257356/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297628093&sr=1-1

His book has been published in french, german, portugese, spanish and italian.

But not in english which is a shame becuase I'd say that it would make for interesting reading.

Daily Express is reporting that Misch (93) is terminally ill.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/246754/The-last-survivor-of-Hitler-s-downfall-The-Fuhrer-s-bodyguard-gives-last-interview

Misch was one of the last soldiers to leave the Fuhrerbunker during the fall of Berlin in 1945.

I always found his interviews, and contributions to documentaries, really interesting. He must have had to keep all this stuff to himself for a long time after the war. I'm glad he had the chance to share his experiences with the world. From a historical perspective, the information he provided was gold.

sorry to learn of his illness.

Advertisement