Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Important Goal

• 18-01-2011 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Whats your favourite goal that involves class and importance? Plenty of contenders but my personal favourite would be Gerrards strike from Mellors head against Oylimpikos....This goal wasnt bad either....On the final day of the 2000-2001 season, Barcelona hosted Valencia, needing a win to qualify for the Champions League at the expense of their opponents. Twice Rivaldo put Barcelona ahead with stunning strikes, and twice Valencia equalised. As the game entered its final minute, the home fans in the Nou Camp feared the worst. And then Rivaldo received a chipped pass from Frank de Boer on the edge of the area. With his back to goal, he chested the ball into the air and then unleashed an exquisite overhead bicycle kick which flew into the net.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jimmy glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Michael owen in the Manchester Derby September 2009 to win it 4-3. There are a lot of others aswell though like Paul Scholes screamer against barca in the CL semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No contest (apart from Glass) -

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nobody in our current first team even come close to this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

The first goal in this vid

it was 2-2 i think in a match that was at the arse end of the season, a must win for west ham to avoid relegation,the match seemed to be heading to a stalemate when parker done that,think it was his first goal all season too

• Advertisement

I don't think anything can ever top this:

Think about it. A goal needed and got, in the last minute of the last game of the league season, giving us our ninth the championship and also denying Liverpool the chance of a second double.

Wowsers. What Sky would pay for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Beckham's against Greece was fairly epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Whats your favourite goal that involves class and importance? Plenty of contenders but my personal favourite would be Gerrards strike from Mellors head against Oylimpikos....This goal wasnt bad either....On the final day of the 2000-2001 season, Barcelona hosted Valencia, needing a win to qualify for the Champions League at the expense of their opponents. Twice Rivaldo put Barcelona ahead with stunning strikes, and twice Valencia equalised. As the game entered its final minute, the home fans in the Nou Camp feared the worst. And then Rivaldo received a chipped pass from Frank de Boer on the edge of the area. With his back to goal, he chested the ball into the air and then unleashed an exquisite overhead bicycle kick which flew into the net.

I'd pick the West one over it, far better strike, and evened it up in added time.

But being a united fan, I'd probably go with Owens against City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But being a united fan, I'd probably go with Owens against City.

Not Solskjaer against Munich, no :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Des wrote: »

Class AND importance are the criteria. That was, while a massive goal, a tap-in really.

My vote would be the Zidane volley in the Champions' League Final 02:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm going with McLoughlin's goal for Ireland to ensure qualification for the 1994 World Cup. Still remember that game and all the jumping around I did when he scored! Beatiful strike from outside the box as well.

Edit: mixing up World Cups!

And for real class and importance I think Giggs' goal against Arsenal in the cup deserves a mention. Kept the hopes of the treble alive and beat the whole Arsenal defense to do so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I don't think anything can ever top this:

Think about it. A goal needed and got, in the last minute of the last game of the league season, giving us our ninth the championship and also denying Liverpool the chance of a second double.

Wowsers. What Sky would pay for that!

By far the most important, they had to win by 2 clear goals too and just got it with the last kick of the game.
    Helix wrote: »
    jimmy glass

Tis a pity they got relegated a few years later thanks to that fool Roddy
    I'm going with McLoughlin's goal for Ireland to ensure qualification for our very first World Cup. Still remember that game and all the jumping around I did when he scored! Beatiful strike from outside the box as well.

Ah, get your facts right, not sure if you heard but they qualified in 1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ah, get your facts right, not sure if you heard but they qualified in 1990

Jesus got mixed up and thought that was for 1990 for a minute! We did have Northern Ireland in our qualifying group for that one as well though so some excuse.

Still, great goal! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭BenK

I'll have to go with the Mark Hughes volley against Oldham in the last minute of the FA Cup semi-final in 1994 to earn a replay. I remember I could barely look at the tv as time was nearly up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srjQuOgnX5c&feature=related

Jesus got mixed up and thought that was for 1990 for a minute! We did have Northern Ireland in our qualifying group for that one as well though so some excuse.

Still, great goal! :D

Yea they played them in the 1990 qualifiers too and beat them 3-0 in Dublin in Oct, setting them up to go to Malta to seal the qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Massive goal at the time, debut for the first team, first goal, quality strike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Robbie Keane sticking away the peno in the last second against Spain in the World Cup 2002 was a big one for me. I've never been as happy to see a goal scored in my life! Especially since Harte missed one earlier. Just a pity we couldn't beat them in the peno shoot out after

Gerrard scoring the first goal in the Champion's League final in 2005 was pretty important too. It completely changed a game that they had no right to win at that stage

On a fantasy football level, Ashley Cole was an unlikely scorer 5 minutes from time in the last game of the season 2009 which meant I won my fantasy football league by 2 points. That was pretty epic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm going with McLoughlin's goal for Ireland to ensure qualification for the 1994 World Cup. Still remember that game and all the jumping around I did when he scored! Beatiful strike from outside the box as well.

Edit: mixing up World Cups!

One of my favourite goals of all time. Sticking it down Bigot Bingham's throat was just as sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I'll go with Zidanes goal in the CL Final. Doesnt come any bigger or better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Rivaldo for Barcelona Vs Valencia in 2001. Changed Barcas future massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Gotta love reeling in the years..In Alan McLoughlin's goal "the Republic does not surrender" :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

or

First one was the playoff final and probably saved us from becoming a team like Sheffield Wednesday or Coventry.
    2nd was probably the greatest robbery in football :D As far as I can remember, Arsenal had 30 shots that day and Rob Green was unbeatable. If we had lost that game, we would most likely have gone down. First team to win at the Emirates as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No contest (apart from Glass) -

I still remember sitting watching this match like it was last week. 89 minutes in, 2 goals down, I had resigned myself to another season 'down there'. Then it all changes. I have never been as ecstatic about a football game in my life, and it was nice to get one over a certain Mr Pulis too :) I still get butterfly's every time I re-watch that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

gimmick wrote: »
    Rivaldo for Barcelona Vs Valencia in 2001. Changed Barcas future massive.

EPIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Alan Kennedy 1982 v Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

Robbies goal past Kahn will always stand out for me. The quality of Quinns header and a good finish meaning qualification in our own hands.

Also for some reason i always remember keanes header from a damien duff cross for the 2-1 win away to Cyprus in the last campaign... Great goal and finally got the Cypriot monkey off our backs

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

I'll never forget this, I jumped up and kicked the wall in my living room out of sheer elation. Unfortunately it was a plaster wall and my foot went straight through it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet: Bergkamp vs Argentina France 98 to win the Quarter final in the 88th or 89th minute i think?
    One of the best goals ever scored and as for the importance? Just listen to the Dutch commentator :D

DENNNNISSSSSS BERRRRRRRGGGGGKAAAAAAAAMPPPMPMPMPPMPMMPP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

May 2003.
    Jesper Gronkjaer scoring the winner that ensured Chelsea qualified for Champions League, and thus a certain russian with a few quid in his back pocket would kick start a revolution in football.
    Probably the most important and era making goal ever, the effect can still be felt around the world.
    And it was a good goal too! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRFgyWziMJw

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/may/12/match.chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Nobody in our current first team even come close to this man.

class goal no doubt, but not really relevant. its just a winning goal in a game its not really important and in the grand scheme of things, arsenal didnt even come close to winning the league, despite that goal, united walked the league that year.

united point of view -

macheda v villa
    ronaldo v fulham
    ronaldo v porto (though united lost the final that year)

but for me, scholes v barcelona is the definition of class and importance.

from a non united point of view, as pointed out above, gerrards 2 goals v the greeks and west ham stand out as absolutely perfect for this thread, both were great goals and ended in something being achieved as a result.

beckham v greece another one, the rivaldo goal, and of course the Thomas goal v arsenal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sca7Zbsh_U

it announced us to the rest of the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sca7Zbsh_U

it announced us to the rest of the world

But that is hardly an important goal

It put Eire 1-0 up in a game that was ultimately a draw

I'd argue that Quinn's equalizer v Holland in 1990 was far more important as it assured progress to the next round.

And I'd argue that Houghton's v England a few days earlier that Whelan's v USSR was more of an announcement to the world

Like the old 'Iconic Photo's' thread people have started replacing 'important' goals with 'good' goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

beckham v greece another one, the rivaldo goal, and of course the Thomas goal v arsenal...

For Arsenal. Hate to be Particular but you did dismiss Henry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Giggs's goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup was great. If that hadn't gone in, I don't think United would have won either FA Cup or CL that year. Must have been a huge confidence boost.

Also, Alonso smashing in the penalty rebound in Istanbul. Not pretty, but that one penalty really encapsulated the emotions of the entire final itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Des wrote: »

I would have picked that one, obviously, but I didn't see the game live, unfortunately.

When Owen scored I went mad, screaming around my house, family thought I went mad or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another that comes to mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

One for insiders: Lars Ricken in May 1997. He was on the pitch for 17 seconds when he scored the 3:1 for for Borussia Dortmund against Juventus Turin in the 97' Championsleague Final :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Definately Archie Gemmill's for Scotland against Brazil -
    Trainspotting ;)

Dalglish 1978 Wembley

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VMBlZleXM
    I was literally feeling sick before this went in as we were 1 down, I couldn't have lasted another season in that horrible league. Without this, Leeds would be playing against Dag & Red this season :o

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Iniestaaaa!!!

Rivaldos bicycle kick against Valencia was the best goal I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Not a goal of class but surely of big importance:
    Mark Robbins v Forrest F.A Cup 1990.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/6943187/Sir-Alex-Fergusons-defining-moment-came-thanks-to-Mark-Robins-goal-20-years-ago.html

Video: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IE#/results?q=mark%20robbins%20v%20nottingham%20forest%201990

My personal favourites are Anfield '89 and Marc Overmars v united in old trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

May 2003.
    Jesper Gronkjaer scoring the winner that ensured Chelsea qualified for Champions League, and thus a certain russian with a few quid in his back pocket would kick start a revolution in football.
    Probably the most important and era making goal ever, the effect can still be felt around the world.
    And it was a good goal too! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRFgyWziMJw

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/may/12/match.chelsea
    It's actually unbelievable how important that goal turned out to be!

That was the last game of the season - Chelsea HAD to win. Anything else would've meant 5th place, and no Champions League - Which was vital to a club on the verge of administration at the time.
    In the run up to the game there were talks of Lampard,Terry and Hasselbaink having to be sold.

Abramovich came in about 3 weeks later, saving the club from administration. He chose Chelsea ahead of Spurs, purely because they were in the Champions League.

Chances are, without that goal, Chelsea would be a Championship club now at best. They were the next Leeds waiting to happen at the time.
    Since then they've won the League and FA Cup 3 times!

• Advertisement
Advertisement