Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Krav Magna @ self-defence.ie

• 18-01-2011 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Krav Magna @ self-defence.ie Does any one know if this club is any good , its located in Bridgefoot street Dublin 8
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭lorsric

Hi
    Don't know if you started with the krav maga, but check out - krav maga ireland - new courses - 2 day and 12 week courses coming up in Dublin.
    I did krav maga with Patrick before, and can recommend him.

He promotes self defence element, and not the macho side of things -yes you can defend yourself, but it is not another activity for the adreneline junkie par sey.

Contact Patrick through his website - krav maga ireland, he's sound and he will help you get started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

katy39 wrote: »
    Krav Magna @ self-defence.ie Does any one know if this club is any good , its located in Bridgefoot street Dublin 8
    thanks

Were they on TV3 recently?

This quite possible - although I don't get to watch much TV during the daytime.

Next Course Dates
    2 Day Course Dublin May 7/8
    12 Week Course Dublin May 16

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To book your place simply call Patrick on 087 2390398 or send a mail to [EMAIL="pcumiskey@KravMagaIreland.com%C2%A0"]pcumiskey@KravMagaIreland.com[/EMAIL]

--
    Got this email recently from Patrick (only reason I'm not doing it, is I do volunteer work on Mondays)

[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Damo W wrote: »
    Were they on TV3 recently?

Last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ziodro

You have to decide if you want to do krav maga for self-defence or for fitness.Don't attend any 2day courses or any other bull****.
    If it is for self-defence and real fighting skills I would recomend Krav Maga Group.
    In three or four months you can do a great progress with this guys.But you have to be ready for hard work.
    Below link to their web
    www.kravmagagroup.ie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKR1UYLUBk&feature=feedwll

• Advertisement

I initially began by doing a 2 day course with Krav Maga Ireland, and afterwards, my confidence and certainty I could protect myself was set.

The first thing I learnt from Patrick at Krav Maga Ireland, was if you see a risk, or think something is going to happen, turn and run. He is straight talking, and instills a real sense of confidence in people participating in his courses.

While I agree that Krav Maga is both excellent for self defence and fitness, I think that saying 2 day courses are not good is silly. Tell that to someone who has done a 2 day course, and found the basics have saved them from a dangerous situation.

If you are looking to get fit and build stamina, krav maga is fantastic. The warm up alone is a challenge, but rather than feeling out of your depth, by the 3rd week, you are more capable, and keeping up with the pressups and sit ups.

I found that learning to get out of certain holds, and protect myself was great, and Patrick gives all of the students equal attention and time, so if you are finding you are slower to execute a move, he will work one to one, and ensure you get it.

No doubt other schools and groups that teach krav maga are good and have merit, but I would rather stick with Krav Maga Ireland and Patrick, as it has proven to be the best fitness/self defence course I have ever done.

lorsric wrote: »
    While I agree that Krav Maga is both excellent for self defence and fitness, I think that saying 2 day courses are not good is silly. Tell that to someone who has done a 2 day course, and found the basics have saved them from a dangerous situation.

Whats the basics, like telling someone to run away from a dangerous situation?.

How much (€€€) does that two day course cost?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I initially began by doing a 2 day course with Krav Maga Ireland, and afterwards, my confidence and certainty I could protect myself was set. .

sounds like your new found confidense could get you in trouble cause after 2 day you know zero and will get beat down!

If someone gets into a scrap after 2 days and been saved by anything it's more than likely it was there in the 1st place.

on top of that who ever said they where saved after doing a 2 day course, bar the instructors!
    Whats the basics, like telling someone to run away from a dangerous situation?.

How much (€€€) does that two day course cost?.

Good questions, Krav maga is all about $£ and euro's!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I never said that I only did the 2 day course, if you noted my previous comments.

Obviously that's not the very first thing you learn, but in fairness, as a 5'4" female, if I was to have anyone come near me, I would be an idiot to stick around.

The cynicism is quite unbelievable. Not everything has to be that way. I think most of the people who do the 2 day courses, gain something, and to diminish that is sad. Many of the people I know, started with a 2 day , then did the 12 week courses, and kept doing them.

Getting beat down and into fights is not something a person seeks out, but after doing the course, you gain confidence to hold yourself in a more certain way.

Not everything in life is about money, and as someone who is not working at present and has been on limited income over the years (was a student when doing KM), I think in life you choose how to spend your money. Is it better to go out clubbing 1-2 times a week, spending on average €50-€70 a night, or to do something that improves your overall health and frame of mind.

Also, you pay for what you get, so price should not be the determining factor for everything.

So how much does the two day course cost?.

I'm only asking so don't get all defensive about it.

There is nothing on the Krav Maga, Ireland website about costs.

Also, whats covered in the two day basics?.

• Advertisement

Ha, that's funny use of words.

I don't know how much, go onto kravmagaireland website and email Patrick for most upto date prices.

Also, the curriculum for the courses is best to contact him too. I wouldn't want to give any information that was inaccurate. And lord help me if I gave the wrong name for a move :-)

I don't know how much, go onto kravmagaireland website and email Patrick for most upto date prices.

You must have an idea how much you spent on the two day course.
    Also, the curriculum for the courses is best to contact him too.

Since your the one who recommended this group I don't think its unreasonable to ask you some questions & expect an answer.
    I wouldn't want to give any information that was inaccurate. And lord help me if I gave the wrong name for a move :-)

We don't get anal about terminology here, what I'd call 'Ouchi Gari' someone else would call a 'Judo trip'.

you surely know how much you payed for the 2 day courses, an estimate would be cool even..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dermotg1

Hi Lorsric, Sounds to me like your promoting his business for him... Has he promised to make you into a instructor too??

I guess it was about €120 or so for the 2 day, but couldn't be sure, was a while ago.

As for cost, I don't pay attention to how much I spend on things I enjoy, if I want to do something, I simply do it, so am probably worst person to ask about costs :-)

The two day course, learn to block, hit, gouge out eyes, sweeps, stand properly to hold positions, and other things, if I could remember, I'd have photographic memory.

dermotg1 wrote: »
    Hi Lorsric, Sounds to me like your promoting his business for him... Has he promised to make you into a instructor too??

My God, you couldn't be further from the truth. If you knew me, you'd know that when I find someone or something that works, my praise comes without a price.

Also, to become an instructor, as anyone is aware, you have to do the grafting and get there on your own merit.

For example - I could tell you how absolutely amazing Paul Burke in the Gaeity School of Acting is at Stage Combat. One of the most entertaining and precise tutors.

I am not driven by money, so simply share my opinions.

dermotg1 wrote: »

Why, is it a promise he made you?.

I guess it was about €120 or so for the 2 day, but couldn't be sure, was a while ago.

€120 for two days of anyone's time isn't too much to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just to answer the question about cost.

From a marketing email last month, I'm on the mailing list

Yes, like many gyms or courses, the cost was never 395, there is always an offer. Nobody falls for this but many still use it for marketing
    Our full course fee is normally 395 but when you book now, the course fee is just 195 and you get

- Core Krav Maga Self Defence Course

- 12 Free fitness classes (with 12 week course)

- Online access to 24 videos of the training course

- 'Science and Psychology of Self Defence' Guide

You can do the classes over 12 weeks or package them into two days if you wish. Same cost

Why, is it a promise he made you?.

My God, there's that cynicism again. Patrick as a person has far too much integrity to try ploys like that.

If other places do that, that's their problem.

As for the cost, as I mentioned, I was gauging on memory, and given the number of courses in different things i have done, dont remember exact figures.

As I said before, you want to know the details, contact kravmagaireland directly for any information, get it straight from them.

• Advertisement

My God, there's that cynicism again. Patrick as a person has far too much integrity to try ploys like that.

If other places do that, that's their problem.

As for the cost, as I mentioned, I was gauging on memory, and given the number of courses in different things i have done, dont remember exact figures.

As I said before, you want to know the details, contact kravmagaireland directly for any information, get it straight from them.

Stop being so damned defensive and thin skinned in this forum - Thats the reserve of the BJJ guys :P

But seriously - drop the attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Back when I taught self defence, there was an in depth diatribe about situational awareness, spotting danger signs, identifying likely ambush sites how to tell when a person is preparing an attack, verbal disarms etc. We used to call it 'the speech'. I haven't heard anything better in any of the Krav Maga I studied, read or watched.
    The speech, cost 7 bucks and took about 20 minutes. And to be honest, if self preservation is a priority, you're unlikely to forget any of it as it's all simple stuff, no machismo or mysticism.

As regards techniques, no matter how good a technique is or looks, the only way that its ever going to work in a real situation, is continual training. Even if you mastered it, you're ability to use will diminish over time, without practise.

I'm not saying Krav Maga is a money making racket that preys on the fears of people who unfortunately just don't know any better, and is less effective than regular training in any combat sport, (or am I?) but I would defeinitely say it is downright dangerous to be realising someone onto the street after a weekend, letting them think they can look after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Back when I taught self defence, there was an in depth diatribe about situational awareness, spotting danger signs, identifying likely ambush sites how to tell when a person is preparing an attack, verbal disarms etc. We used to call it 'the speech'. I haven't heard anything better in any of the Krav Maga I studied, read or watched.
    The speech, cost 7 bucks and took about 20 minutes. And to be honest, if self preservation is a priority, you're unlikely to forget any of it as it's all simple stuff, no machismo or mysticism.

As regards techniques, no matter how good a technique is or looks, the only way that its ever going to work in a real situation, is continual training. Even if you mastered it, you're ability to use will diminish over time, without practise.

I'm not saying Krav Maga is a money making racket that preys on the fears of people who unfortunately just don't know any better, and is less effective than regular training in any combat sport, (or am I?) but I would defeinitely say it is downright dangerous to be realising someone onto the street after a weekend, letting them think they can look after themselves.

Well said. After 6 years of a self defense based ju jitsu system, I wouldn't be "at ease" (for lack of better words) in a street situation. And I fight people who are bigger than me all the time, full-contact.

Stop being so damned defensive and thin skinned in this forum - Thats the reserve of the BJJ guys :P

But seriously - drop the attitude.

I don't have an attitude at all , simply saying things as I see them, and no idea what a BBJ guy is, so kind of a pointless comment to make.

I imagine some of the posters on here are KM trainers, and don't like that I am being kind about someone else's business, which is a bit silly really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I imagine some of the posters on here are KM trainers, and don't like that I am being kind about someone else's business, which is a bit silly really.
    Are you suggesting some kind of shadyness here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

The two day course, learn to block, hit, gouge out eyes, sweeps, stand properly to hold positions, and other things, if I could remember, I'd have photographic memory.

Lorsric, have you ever tried any other Martial Arts / Self Defense? I can understand why you would be getting defensive if people are stating that what you have learnt is not of that much value to you.

Doing a 2 day course is going to help, but only for a few days. Then you will forget the techniques just as you posted above.

I went through at least 6 different techniques in BJJ (Brazillian JiuJitsu) on Thursday night and I could only recall 2 of them now, because I wrote them down and practised them again on Friday.

Honestly, its quite dangerous for people to attend a two day course and then think that after 2 weeks (I'm being very, very generous here) they will be able to summon up these techniques in a real life fight situation.
    €120 for two days of anyone's time isn't too much to ask.

Depends on what experience they have and what you expect to get from it.

I'd much rather spend an extra 10e and get a days training with the Nogueira Brothers, proven fighters & competitiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dermotg1

It is starting too look like that,,,, A lot of people on here promoting Patrick Cumiskey and his business,,, Touching very close to the rules of Boards.ie..
    How many of you so called instructors actually get paid ? or are you all like Lorsric and do volunteer work ? (its been like that for years unqualified instructors teaching classes)

People saying that a two day course is too short doesn't mean they are endorsing another krav maga group.

• Advertisement

I have NEVER trained anyone in KM, and have only ever been a participant and taken part in courses, which I have paid for in full.

I have done kickboxing, karate, fencing, zumba and kettlebell training over the years, and while I think KM is fantastic, if I was to find someone offering free classes in any discipline, of course I would attend.

As for advertising anyone's business, praising and giving compliments to someone, is not the same as telling people to use them and only them. People are free to do what they want, train with whoever they want, and if anyone is influenced by my comments, that's up to them.

Also, when you do any course for long enough, you develop a commradare with the other people, including the teachers. How many people hated a subject in school because the teacher wasn't nice? It is the same with anything, if the person teaching you isnt good, you won't find as much to like about it.

I imagine a logical person will realise that 2 days of learning anything is not going to make them a professional, but it will give them a good idication whether they want to continue to do an activity or not. I actually think it is a better idea to do a short course, rather than spend a load of money upfront for a longer course, and maybe drop out mid way.

I didn't realise naming an instructor was forbidden, as I have seen various threads where people have named people. Is it not allowed? Am fairly new to Boards, so maybe it is.

I didn't realise naming an instructor was forbidden, as I have seen various threads where people have named people. Is it not allowed? Am fairly new to Boards, so maybe it is.
    If you have any questions about the rules, the first place to look is the forum charter.

It states "Creating an account to simply advertise your club whether it be genuine or not, will result in your thread being deleted and you treated as a spammer". Now I know that you've said you have nothing to do with the club, but as far as I can see the only posts you've made have been to promote this club. It's going to make people wonder.

I imagine a logical person will realise that 2 days of learning anything is not going to make them a professional, but it will give them a good idication whether they want to continue to do an activity or not. I actually think it is a better idea to do a short course, rather than spend a load of money upfront for a longer course, and maybe drop out mid way.
    For the price of that short course, you could get nearly 2 months in a good MMA place, and MMA is very much on the more expensive end of the scale.

Never even considered the idea that I was in anyway spamming, as I was giving me opinions on something, not telling people to go.

As I have only experience from one place , that's the only one I can give opinion on. Has anyone got any other km place they think is good, inexpensive and located in Dublin?

More than willing and happy to try any groups or clubs, just find they are not located near me, live near Phoenix Park.

Great to hear you've done some other training as well :)

With regards the above, I would agree that an introductory course is a good idea for anything.

My issue with KM is it implies with a 2 day course you could handle yourself from against attacker in a phsyical confrontation. It puts people in the false sense of security and that in itself is an extremely dangerous position to be in.

This was stated by you at the start of the thread:
    I initially began by doing a 2 day course with Krav Maga Ireland, and afterwards, my confidence and certainty I could protect myself was set.

This is what is wrong with KM and it's two day money making rackets.

Anyone who thinks they can go from zero fighting experience to being able to handle themselves against a scumbag (read: those who go out of their way to start fights) who would have been in x amount of street fights in 2 days, is going to get their ass severely handed to them.

Naos, I said that my confidence and certainty I could protect myself was set, but I also did mention the idea of running ;-)

I agree that a short course is a taster, and if you learn one thing that could help, thats something.

I myself have used some KM moves to defend myself from unwanted fondle by a stranger on the street (Temple Bar, after closing, waiting for friends, drunken idiot decided I was fair game), but that was after over a year of training.

Naos, I said that my confidence and certainty I could protect myself was set, but I also did mention the idea of running ;-)

I know you said your certainty to protect yourself was set - that's my whole point & issue.

• Advertisement

Right here's my take on it.

I don't believe lorsric has any connection to her KM group other than that of a trainee who is loyal to her instructors - nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with promoting one's club/style here either - we all do it.

K.M. thread, I swear to good God sometimes I wish I could ban them. They're simply not worth the trouble they bring - but K.M. comes under the remit of this forum so we're stuck with them.

K.M. put simply the user's of this forum call a spade a spade & to the vast majority of our users K.M. is nothing but a money making racket.. I posted earlier that €120 for two days of anyone's time wasn't bad - and its not, I stand by that. What you get out of that €120 is your own business, its your money - spend it as you please.

I'm one of the few here who has actually trained in K.M. - In Israel, with the Israeli Defence Forces. And each and every member of the IDF I trained with had a background in either boxing, judo, M.T. or karate.. Not one trained in K.M. alone.

There's nothing magical about the IDF, when they want someone dead they don't mind sending in a helicopter gunship & hellfire missles to get the job done.

And if you seen their soldiers on the ground!.. Most are 18yr old conscripts who sh*t their pants in combat.

lorsric - I do think you have a very defensive attitude and your getting people's backs up with it.

If you enjoy your K.M. training - FANTASTIC, I'm delighted for you because thats what we're all promoting on this forum - an enjoyment of the various martial arts.. Sure what would be the point in training MMA (which is infinitely more effective) if you hate it?.

Lads, advertising & this forum..

Unlike most forum on boards.ie we've been given the nod to allow advertising, with strict conditions - without going into the detail of it, basically if it benefits the user's of this forum we can let it fly.. Just look at the club stickie thread - many just registered to advertise their clubs and fecked off again, but its cool because thats allowed.

Same goes for the various shops advertising martial arts supplies - it all benefits the forum, so attracts visitors to us.

I'm kinda rushed, but I think I covered all the points I wish to at the moment.

lorsric stick around, I know your getting a rough ride but that comes with K.M. here - and sure, won't it toughen you up :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I could substitute several popular fitness programs/trainers names in for 'K.M' in your post and it would read the exact same :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I don't know whether I'm going on a tangent here, but I don't think it would be deviating the thread any further than it already has:

Do any of the Krav Maga groups in Ireland have a good reputation? Would it be any use to any serious martial artists?

I only know of Aiden Carrol and Patrick Cumiskey's groups, and I just read about the kravmagagroup.ie one in this thread.

What I've noticed about Patrick Cumiskey is that he's constantly offering €400 courses (but if you act now it's half price!!!) I've never heard anyone with any real martial arts experience come back and say he's of any use. He claims he trains the Army Ranger Wing, but I'm not too sure about that, especially since some of the ARW lads I know are martial artists themselves.

Aiden Carroll offers regular classes, which makes him seem slightly more legit to me, but he pushes his own system, Hard Target, pretty hard.

I would love to train regularly in Krav Maga if it was the kind Jason Bourne uses to throw around the bad guys, but I'm really not sure it's worth the hype. Maybe it's just really badly established in Ireland and heavily commercialised in order to sell it to bored professionals with no martial arts experience.

Is there anywhere in Ireland that gives Krav Maga training that is on par with the Judo and German Ju-jutsu training I do? I highly, highly doubt it, but if there is I'd love to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Is there anywhere in Ireland that gives Krav Maga training that is on par with the Judo and German Ju-jutsu training I do? I highly, highly doubt it, but if there is I'd love to do it.

For it to replicate judo and jiu-jitsu you would have have to find a place where you are able to train around 3/ week and spar against a resisting opponent.Is there any place in Ireland that does that for Krav maga?I think it was kali that jason bourne did for those movies.But they were all choreographed fight scenes.

I teach the ARW Shaolin Kung Fu..Can you confirm or deny that I don't apart from anecdotal evidence?:D:DJust saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Do any of the Krav Maga groups in Ireland have a good reputation? Would it be any use to any serious martial artists?

Aiden Carroll offers regular classes, which makes him seem slightly more legit to me, but he pushes his own system, Hard Target, pretty hard.

Aidan Carroll is the real deal and an absolute gent too.

Much like Geoff Thompson, a good friend of his, he basically shows you what works and most important what doesn't work (i.e. much of the much-spouted nonsense that would get you killed if you used it in a real life self-defence situation).
    I would love to train regularly in Krav Maga if it was the kind Jason Bourne uses to throw around the bad guys, but I'm really not sure it's worth the hype.

Isn't this Eskrima? http://www.fightauthority.com/watch.php?ytv=7vSRWJ2oW0Q

If so, I'd highly recommend Wild Geese Martial Arts -> http://www.wildgeesema.com/eskrima.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Aidan Carroll is the real deal and an absolute gent too.

Much like Geoff Thompson, a good friend of his, he basically shows you what works and most important what doesn't work (i.e. much of the much-spouted nonsense that would get you killed if you used it in a real life self-defence situation).

Cheers for the info.

Isn't this Eskrima? http://www.fightauthority.com/watch.php?ytv=7vSRWJ2oW0Q

If so, I'd highly recommend Wild Geese Martial Arts -> http://www.wildgeesema.com/eskrima.html

I was speaking in jest really; I know about Wild Geese, I do Judo with Donal. Thanks for the info, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Geoff Thompson must be the friendliest guy in the world, I'd love to meet him. Literally everyone I meet who is involved in "self defence" training is "good friends with Geoff Thompson".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Literally everyone I meet who is involved in "self defence" training is "good friends with Geoff Thompson".

Really?! Along with Peter Consterdine,he's long been the most controversial figures on the British martial arts scene. Maybe things have changed over the last few years but I remember both of them facing a LOT of flak, especially from traditional martial artists, when they first started the British Combat Association. http://britishcombat.co.uk/

Aidan was trained by Geoff as a British Combat Association Self Defence Instructor. He does regular seminars along with other BCA instructors like Tony Somers and Jamie Clubb at his Hard Target facility in Dublin. You can find out about them at http://www.hardtargetselfdefence.com.

Guys Guys... Calm down!
    Everybody have a choice and can attand any martial art course so dont blame please to anybody that he/she chosen THIS or THOSE course.

Krav Maga is basis on instinct and it is so good because you learn how to get sensitive and weak points of your opponent.

Two day cours is good as an introduction ONLY.
    By saying that 2day course is giving to you any real skills is IRRESPONSIBLE.
    2day course gives you an impression that you can fight.
    Regular classes gives you real knowledge, skills, and it shapes proper reactions in dengerous situation.

I agrre that progress in Krav Maga comes in short period. But any way to get real skills and train your body + instinctive reaction it takes 3 - 4 months.
    Compering to other systems it's really fast.
    I think that 2day course, if you have to pay 160 euro (sic!) is not worth of this money.
    In my opinion is better to take course based on regular classes because is much chipper and you have more lessons included in it.
    I'm sure that Krav Maga Group was giving free trial lesson (I think it is fer-play because you don't have to pay for something what you don't know even if it is ok for you.) and they teach real fighting skills.
    If you want spend your time on fitness: choose something else.
    If you want to be overcharged: take 2day course :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Really?! Along with Peter Consterdine,he's long been the most controversial figures on the British martial arts scene. Maybe things have changed over the last few years but I remember both of them facing a LOT of flak, especially from traditional martial artists, when they first started the British Combat Association. http://britishcombat.co.uk/

Aidan was trained by Geoff as a British Combat Association Self Defence Instructor. He does regular seminars along with other BCA instructors like Tony Somers and Jamie Clubb at his Hard Target facility in Dublin. You can find out about them at http://www.hardtargetselfdefence.com.

I think that one might have sailed over your head Paul :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Geoff Thompson must be the friendliest guy in the world, I'd love to meet him. Literally everyone I meet who is involved in "self defence" training is "good friends with Geoff Thompson".
    He's no friend of mine

because I've never met or communicated with him in any way, but I'm sure he is lovely like you said
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

ziodro wrote: »
    Guys Guys... Calm down!
    Everybody have a choice and can attand any martial art course so dont blame please to anybody that he/she chosen THIS or THOSE course.

Krav Maga is basis on instinct and it is so good because you learn how to get sensitive and weak points of your opponent.

Two day cours is good as an introduction ONLY.
    By saying that 2day course is giving to you any real skills is IRRESPONSIBLE.
    2day course gives you an impression that you can fight.
    Regular classes gives you real knowledge, skills, and it shapes proper reactions in dengerous situation.

I agrre that progress in Krav Maga comes in short period. But any way to get real skills and train your body + instinctive reaction it takes 3 - 4 months.
    Compering to other systems it's really fast.
    I think that 2day course, if you have to pay 160 euro (sic!) is not worth of this money.
    In my opinion is better to take course based on regular classes because is much chipper and you have more lessons included in it.
    I'm sure that Krav Maga Group was giving free trial lesson (I think it is fer-play because you don't have to pay for something what you don't know even if it is ok for you.) and they teach real fighting skills.
    If you want spend your time on fitness: choose something else.
    If you want to be overcharged: take 2day course :-)
    In the 3 - 4 months period to get real skills and train your body + instinctive reaction, is that against totaly resisting partners or guys 'attacking' with a pre agreed ' attack ' ?

HellsAngel wrote: »
    In the 3 - 4 months period to get real skills and train your body + instinctive reaction, is that against totaly resisting partners or guys 'attacking' with a pre agreed ' attack ' ?
    Let say... we have totaly aggressive attacker... let say he is 120kg so lets call him "120" and defender is 60kg, "call him 60". In normal ring sport fight "60" would be simly crashed by "120".
    In three, four months he can't gain extra 60kg to face him.

What "60" does to face "120"? He/she learns how to use weak points of the attacker. He/she learns how to use everyday items: keys, mobile phone, bag.
    For what? To scratch or stab a face, neck, ribcage, eye.
    "Kickboxing" skills are also included in program.
    For what: to kick an attackers groin form every possible angle.
    To kick his leg or knee in one particullar reson: BREAK IT!
    To punch his neck in one particullar reson: BREAK ADAM'S APPLE OR CAUSE WHIPLASH!

And a most important: They learn that there is NO LIMIT IN SELF-DEFENCE.
    SO don't think about the law consequences when you are under attack and don't think what will happend if you dameged your attacker.

Is it enough to face "120" in three, four monts?
    If you train on regular basis, yes it enough.

Ha Ha
    end of post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement