Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accessing radio stations when ports blocked in hotel?

• 18-01-2011 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm staying in a hotel at the moment that seems to block nearly all ports. I can access the web after a web-based login, and Skype also seems to work.

Nearly everything else doesn't. Radio, Mail, FTP etc... Just wondering what ways there are around that?

I have a VPN service I'm signed up to, but that doesn't seem to work.

Anyone know if there's a way to tunnel through HTTP or something similar. I'd like to be able to listen to internet radio, and also access FTP.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

p wrote: »
    I'd like to be able to listen to internet radio, and also access FTP.

What about the other poor sods guests you're sharing limited bandwidth with? You want to listen to Internet radio and download some files in a hotel room? Get yourself a 3G subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

coylemj wrote: »
    What about the other poor sods guests you're sharing limited bandwidth with? You want to listen to Internet radio and download some files in a hotel room? Get yourself a 3G subscription.
    Woah - careful you don't fall over with all the assumptions you're jumping to.

1. This is a commercial business, and I'm paying a premium for internet access.
    2. I'm here for work, and require FTP to upload files for a web design project.
    3. Even if neither of those were true, listening to internet radio or checking your email are not unusual enough that they should be blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

OP

In this day and age, hotels should be offering decent bandwidth via QOS to their clients. Listening to radio and transferring files is a totally normal and reasonable practice. Complain to the hotel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask at reception. Those ports may be closed for a reason.
    Perhaps they will open them.

Or stay late at the office instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keywal

If the hotel offered full internet access to all guests, it would be a crap connection.

Ports are blocked to prevent you from doing what your trying to do!

most large companies now dont even try to reply on a hotels internet. they give their employees other means to do their work... saves on down time..:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement