Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJ Trek and The Laurentian System

Options
  • 18-01-2011 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

Ok, i know that it was suggested that most of Star Fleet was in the Laurentian system after the Klingons were defeated in their engagement with the Narada, but was it ever actually confirmed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

gatecrash wrote: »
    Ok, i know that it was suggested that most of Star Fleet was in the Laurentian system after the Klingons were defeated in their engagement with the Narada, but was it ever actually confirmed?

Did they not say it repeatedly on-screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Did they not say it repeatedly on-screen?

Nope, just said the main part of the fleet was there, but not why

Nope, just said the main part of the fleet was there, but not why

Ah I get ya

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

According to Memory Alpha...
    The comic book Star Trek: Nero suggests the Laurentian system is the location of Rura Penthe, and the Federation responded to a Klingon distress call after Nero destroyed 47 Klingon warbirds.

Kiith wrote: »
    According to Memory Alpha...

would that be regarded as canon?

• Advertisement

would that be regarded as canon?

I imagine that many people would not regard the entrire movie as canon:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

The Enterprise was originally planning to go all the way to the Laurentian system to rendezvous with the bulk of the fleet before going all the way back to Earth to tackle the Narada.

Would it not have made more sense for the fleet to high-tail it back to Earth and for the Enterprise to intercept and join up with them en route?

Vulcan destroyed. Earth about to be annihilated . No biggie.

Clearly they had bigger fish to fry in the Laurentian system.

Goldstein wrote: »
    The Enterprise was originally planning to go all the way to the Laurentian system to rendezvous with the bulk of the fleet before going all the way back to Earth to tackle the Narada.

Would it not have made more sense for the fleet to high-tail it back to Earth and for the Enterprise to intercept and join up with them en route?

Vulcan destroyed. Earth about to be annihilated . No biggie.

Clearly they had bigger fish to fry in the Laurentian system.

Spock had given Earth up, as a lost cause, at that stage.
    I took from that action that the main fleet could not get back to Earth before the Narada. As could explain why they did not arrive before the Enterprise did her actions

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they were probably all out there getting extra chrome, gigantic breweries and bulgy nacelles fitted in readiness for the next film :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

... gigantic breweries ...:rolleyes:

I thinks that's where NASA has been going wrong all these years.......

• Advertisement

they were probably all out there getting extra chrome, gigantic breweries and bulgy nacelles fitted in readiness for the next film :rolleyes:

All 4 of them I assume? :D

47:52
    "Diver auxilliary power from port nacelles to forward shields"

Um, port nacelles....................................?

That's how inept the writing was.

All 4 of them I assume? :D
    or 1, 2, 3... :D

Um, port nacelles....................................?

That's how inept the writing was.

port nacelle/s came up frequently enough over the years

or 1, 2, 3... :D

port nacelle/s came up frequently enough over the years

Don't get me wrong, I've no quarrel with port nacelle.

However unless you're booting around in a constellation or prometheus class or something similar:
    lCFPn.jpgZUfWG.jpg

Port nacelles in the case of the Enterprise is just stupid.

Ahh the Prometheus (VOY:Message in a Bottle)...that was cool.

Don't get me wrong, I've no quarrel with port nacelle.

However unless you're booting around in a constellation or prometheus class or something similar:

true, I'm sure the reference was port nacelle, but was there not some reference or other to the fact that the Ent D has port nacelles as technically each nacelle has two set of coils?
    Maybe that was something else though :confused::o

It was always the port nacelle too causing the trouble, getting fired upon or exploding. Starboard ones never seemed to give any trouble

true, I'm sure the reference was port nacelle, but was there not some reference or other to the fact that the Ent D has port nacelles as technically each nacelle has two set of coils?

It was always the port nacelle too causing the trouble, getting fired upon or exploding. Starboard ones never seemed to give any trouble

Cause and Effect...

Didn't the Bozeman collide with the Starboard nacelle(s) of the Ent-D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cause and Effect...

Didn't the Bozeman collide with the Starboard nacelle(s) of the Ent-D
    They use "port" more often than "starboard" as its simple easier to say. Also the bozeman hit the starboard nacelle.

They use "port" more often than "starboard" as its simple easier to say. Also the bozeman hit the starboard nacelle.

Yes, in other words!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

"affirmative" you mean ;)

"affirmative" you mean ;)

Indeed, (number one)

ALL HANDS ABANDON SHIP!! REPEAT ALL HANDS ABAN...

fazeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

BOOM!

I wouldn't argue with anyone who called that the best ep ever.

Are you watching too much trek when you're out driving and something unexpected happens, instead of brakes, you think: Decompress main shuttle bay, the explosive force may blow us clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

In answer to the Laurentian System/fleet/Earth/Enterprise conundrum...

The majority of the fleet were out at the system, however I don't believe that it was related to the 47 Klingon ships being destroyed. uhura mentioned it in passing (!) to her Orion buddy (whilst "mouth-breather" Kirk lurked under the bed). This in turn led Kirk to mention it again on the bridge of the Enterprise, fighting to get his point across. Uhura backed him up,which clearly implied Pike was unaware of the incident---which, in old Trek, would be sacrilege. Why would old Uhura keep such a serious event secret from the Fleet? Anyways...

As to the whole goto meet the fleet/goto Earth issue, the writers obviously had to have the Jason vs Goliath situation...I would propose that the squadron sent to Vulcan were the fastest ships, and all but one, the Enterprise, were destroyed. If she were to wait for the other (older? less advanced? slower?) ships to join her, they would take longer. PLUS Scotty managed to squeeze an extra warp factor out of her (warp 4) so she far outstripped her sister ships.

In fairness this film followed the rules of logic very loosely, but then again the most successful Treks did the same. II had a terraforming superweapon and a genetically enhanced supersoldier army that could control a vessel 300 years ahead of them. IV had time travel by slingshotting round a sun. VI insisted a moon could create a shockwave expansive enough to nearly decimate a vessel light-years away.

Despite what hardcore Trekkers may claim, the most successful Treks have been sci-fi. The more sci-factual films/episodes sucked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In fairness this film followed the rules of logic very loosely, but then again the most successful Treks did the same. II had a terraforming superweapon and a genetically enhanced supersoldier army that could control a vessel 300 years ahead of them. IV had time travel by slingshotting round a sun. VI insisted a moon could create a shockwave expansive enough to nearly decimate a vessel light-years away.

1 had Starships. 2 had Starships. 3 had Starships. 4 had Starships. 5 had Starships. 6 had Starships. 7 had Starships. 8 had Starships. 9 had Starships. 10 had Starships. 11 had Starships.

They all loosely follow the rules of logic :P

Advertisement