Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled Visa - How Long?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Looking to hear from people specifically who have attained their visa recently. I am here in Oz over 4 months on a WHV. I am 28, qualified accountant (ACCA). I absolutely love the place and don't see myself going home anytime soon. I want to apply for the skilled visa asap as I have heard that you cannot get a bridging visa while waiting for it? How long has it taken people?

I have spoken to a irish people on bridging visas who would predominantly be in the building trade. How did they get one? I really don't want to have to do the 3 months regional work however if the worse comes to the worst I will do it. Thanks for reading.

Jockey

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

do the Regional work.

Suck it up and ditch whatever misgivings you have about Manual labour. it will look a LOT Better on your aplication if you do, and it gives you breathing space.

you dont need and cant Get a Bridging Visa till your current visa runs out, make tha aplication for the Skilled visa, then do the Farm work, by the end ofg year two you should either be sorted or lookin for a Bridging visa at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You are correct you won't be given a bridging visa (unless a company nominates you)

Ask your builder friends what visa they applied for - if they got sponsored (rather than a PR visa) then you get a bridging visa

It really depends on a number of factors for PR, mine took 3months, but I've been here 5 years and had 2 457's

Other people seems to take between 3-10months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

you dont need and cant Get a Bridging Visa till your current visa runs out, make tha aplication for the Skilled visa, then do the Farm work, by the end ofg year two you should either be sorted or lookin for a Bridging visa at that stage.

You can't go onto a bridging visa when you apply for a skilled visa unless you are willing to go to a regional area (487 regional state sponsorship visa). You need to either get sponsored by a company or get a nomination for employer Nominated Sponsorship to get a bridging visa. Most skilled visas apart from these are off-shore visas which means you need to be off-shore when they are granted. I've been on a bridging visa since last May so don't expect it to be a quick process!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

am a qualified accountant to (CPA) and am goin to apply for the skilled VISA too shortly, spent two years in OZ on WHV, i agree with the previous post, do the 3 months regional work, u won't regret it! mine was actually an enjoyable experience on a banana farm in north queensland but i assume you've heard the horror stories, regarding the visa itself i heard time scale can vary from 9 months to 3 years!! best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

sorrry to hijack the thread....

Hardybucks fan, i'm a qualified ACA and hope to head out to oz (prob sydney) in October. Is it tough to get an accounting job - NOT audit :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭HardyBuckFan

Legend100 wrote: »
    sorrry to hijack the thread....

Hardybucks fan, i'm a qualified ACA and hope to head out to oz (prob sydney) in October. Is it tough to get an accounting job - NOT audit :rolleyes:

na you should be fine, especially in sydney, unless things have changed a lot since i left, i was in the same position, wanted to avoid audit too, had enough of it in my practice days. just try to stick to a few agencies don't register with them all, best ones would be robert half, rober walters, michael page and GOW, avoid Hays!

Advertisement