Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiding SSID when using repeater?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks - this may be a dumb question, but I have to go to travel "down the coountry" to assist a charity with their WIFI. They have a center with free WIFI and OpenDNS for web filtering, but because of the number of children using the centre and web filtering is not 100%, they want to stop broadcasting the SSID so only those who know it can get access (the leaders). This part is easy, but the system they have uses a repeater - anyone know if hiding the SSID is all I need to do, or do I also need to do something with the repeater?

I just dont want to arrive down there and find I can only do half the job -thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

moving to wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I don't think the repeater would broadcast the SSID if the router wasn't, it should just do, as it's title says, repeat exactly whatever it receives.

I would also change the SSID and add encryption and a password if only the leaders are to be allowed to use the connection.

Just hiding the SSID does not prevent any device which has previously connected and saved the details, from reconnecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It may depend on the repeater. On the repeaters I have used, the SSID can be set a different name to the router SSID in which case it can be set to broadcast/not broadcast regardless of how the original SSID is set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Thanks for the replies. yes i will change the ssid but i have been asked to leave the network open

Advertisement