Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skellig Island

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

With places like this in Ireland, why bother going anywhere else.

I came across this web movie of Kerry and the islands and I must say they look really great.

I wonder how well these places are marketed abroad.

Has anyone been there there ?

20100525_225815_00001.png

http://www.ratsass.tv/?e=1234&i=395&a=100&z=10562&y=8031

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Agreed. Its an absolutely incredible place and tho think the monks lived there as long as they did.

I suppose like anywhere, there are a few places in Ireland that are way overhyped and a few that don't get nearly enough attention. I'd put the Skelligs in that camp. Also Slieve League in Donegal. And the Burren (that is the Burren proper, not the coastal towns of Clare).

The only other thing I'd say about them: the one time I did visit there I thought the trail up was absolutely treacherous; I'd go as far as say it is reckless of the tourist authorities to let tourists up and down the trail in the state it was then in, thats about 8 years ago now. in addition, the private operator who brought us out gave us massive heavy rain gear for the boat out and no life jacket.....mad stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dooneenboy

I was there two years ago, still the same. It was the week an American got
    Killed. My fear of heights was overcome by fascination. Top spot.

Other trecherous journeys include the sky road in Clifden in the middle of the Tourist season, molls gap, Sally gap.

Glendalough is also beautiful, the
    Monks seemed to have a good eye for the likes of this back then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Gonna go this Summer, headed out west beyond Dingle last Summer on a day trip with some buddies, was stunned by the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 in_dublin

I read what Bill had to say about Slieve League being under rated.

I never heard of it --so I went searching for it and found it on that video site -- its in South West Donegal.

The cliffs are called Bun Gloss.

Have I not being listening to Board Failte - or is Bill the only one who knows of this secret place ?

The movie is at
    20100815_214104_00001.png

I will add it to the Donegal thread and see if they know of it up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Some people know about it - I was in a B&B once in Ardara, there was German guy who had stayed in the B&B for two weeks and went down every day to Slieve League taking photos.:)

here's another hidden gem: Ahenny High Crosses......two ancient high crosses more than a thousand years old, much like monasterboice, sitting in a field that no-one ever visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 in_dublin

Hi Bill

Where are these Ahenny High Crosses ?

I also see that there are cliffs in Kerry that no one knows about.

They are simply called the Kerry Cliffs

I found them while looking at Skellig video

Here are some moving postcards

20100526_082911_00001.png
    http://www.ratsass.tv?=1234&i=395&a=100&z=10560

They arent as impressive as Bun Glas but not bad either.

Advertisement