Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design

• 18-01-2011 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Would be an interesting career, wondering if anyone knows if much employment exists in the sector during this recession and where would be the best place to study it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

In Computer Science degrees you learn a bit about langues such as Java and C++ which are used in webdesign.

But honestly, webdesign is simple. It's very easy to learn these days and I don't think you'd be able to make a career for the next 40 years out of it. Already in America they're taught webdesign in High School, so I'd say in a few years every young person will be able to do it. Plus there's so much software to help you do it.

I did a 10-week evening course on webdesign and now I've been able to make a few websites. If you have the interest you can teach yourself it, just google tutorials or look up on YouTube. There's thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sahs1

Hey there! I would disagree...There are jobs out there but in website content management...its all very well designing and publishing a website its the content management and development that are giving small, medium businesses to corporations a headache...providing jobs for inhouse developers and content managers....! Paid well too I may add!!! :) Commercial sites are continuously growing as consumers grow confident in online buying! Go for it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

Start by teaching yourself basic Dreamweaver and Flash skills, they'll probably be easiest to get the hang of. If you have good computer skills and an interest in design, it will be no bother.

There are loads of part-time and longer courses in web design. Have a look on qualifax.ie and you should be able to get more details on specific courses.

Don't worry too much about job prospects. Loads of small businesses want some form of online presence, and larger companies with larger sites will always need people to maintain them.

Advertisement