Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install a new SSD

Options
  • 18-01-2011 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hey, all i built my new system a few months ago and didnt want to get a SSD back then as they where very expensive. I was wondering about installing the SSD in my pc, well really just want to know about installing windows on it any idea how i go about this as i have it installed on the storage drive of my pc atm. should i just remove the storage drive and install win 7 on the SSD and then when its booted up and then reinstall the storage drive and set that to the slave drive and leave the SSD as the boot drive? Suggestions welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've tried this. I took an image of my C drive with Acronis and tried to ghost it over to the SSD. It didn't work, instead just gave blue screens as Windows didn't recognise the SSD and had no driver for it. Ended up doing a re-install where Windows detects the hardware its installing to.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Yeah you should install windows 7 as per normal on the SSD. Just think of the SSD as a super fast sata drive... there is no master and slave.
    But yeah, if you want to format your storage drive, make sure you've got everything you need off it first.
    If you're not going to do that, windows will pickup that there is an operating system on it and offer to boot from it every start up. You can fix that quite easily tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Correct me if im wrong but will windows try and spin up the storage drive on bootup even ifs there is no operating system on it thus slowing down the boot sequence?

This happens on my external USB drive on startup and shut down and slows up the boot considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 its.my.escape

Saadyst wrote: »
    Yeah you should install windows 7 as per normal on the SSD. Just think of the SSD as a super fast sata drive... there is no master and slave.
    But yeah, if you want to format your storage drive, make sure you've got everything you need off it first.
    If you're not going to do that, windows will pickup that there is an operating system on it and offer to boot from it every start up. You can fix that quite easily tho.

What i want to do is use my SSD as boot drive and gaming drive and other drive as storage drive, can i just make my SSD the main drive and leave the OS on the slave drive, i say slave drive but yeah its just a storage drive that use for movies and crap :P all its got on it atm is like few games and lots and lots of movies dont plan on formatting it cause my ext hd is full atm.

What im really wondering is do i just remove the normal storage drive and just hook up the SSD and run the win 7 installer disk on that and then when booted into windows and have all updated drivers and stuff installed just add the storage drive in and set pc to boot from SSD would that work? or will i need to format the storage drive to remove win 7 form it for it to work?

What i want to do is use my SSD as boot drive and gaming drive and other drive as storage drive, can i just make my SSD the main drive and leave the OS on the slave drive, i say slave drive but yeah its just a storage drive that use for movies and crap :P all its got on it atm is like few games and lots and lots of movies dont plan on formatting it cause my ext hd is full atm.

What im really wondering is do i just remove the normal storage drive and just hook up the SSD and run the win 7 installer disk on that and then when booted into windows and have all updated drivers and stuff installed just add the storage drive in and set pc to boot from SSD would that work? or will i need to format the storage drive to remove win 7 form it for it to work?

Not sure what you mean in your first paragraph, but in your second paragraph, you are spot on, that's probably the simplest way to do it.

You don't need to remove windows 7 from your storage drive - when you add that drive back in, you can set an option in System Properties to just boot the OS on the SSD, and ignore the one one your storage. The files and everything else will all be there.

• Advertisement

Correct me if im wrong but will windows try and spin up the storage drive on bootup even ifs there is no operating system on it thus slowing down the boot sequence?

This happens on my external USB drive on startup and shut down and slows up the boot considerably.

You are right, but that wont take more than a second at most. If all the files being loaded are on the SSD, all the operating system wants to know is what hardware is present. It won't perform any other function but to load the driver - which again, since it's all on the SSD, should take microseconds or less.

I'd suspect there is probably a difference between the way a USB drive is recognised by the system, and activates itself, compared to an internal drive, which is the cause of the problem for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 its.my.escape

Saadyst wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean in your first paragraph, but in your second paragraph, you are spot on, that's probably the simplest way to do it.

You don't need to remove windows 7 from your storage drive - when you add that drive back in, you can set an option in System Properties to just boot the OS on the SSD, and ignore the one one your storage. The files and everything else will all be there.

Cool thanks for the info :)

Advertisement