Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to change from Eircom PW

• 18-01-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm looking for advise on changing from eircom phonewatch. I would still like a monitored system, but one which simply texts me and a few other numbers would be sufficient.

I will be cancelling the phoneline also as I'm moving to UPC for phone and broadband. However, having read a few posts here I'm concerned about the GSM monitoring option.

I live in the Dublin 18 area, in a relatively new 2 bed, ground floor apartment which was pre-wired for an alarm system. The system installed by eircom is a HKC SecureWatch 8/12 (manual also refers to 12/12, so not entirely sure!). It was installed in Jan 2008.

One thing which currently annoys me about this system is that the alarm will set, even if a window is open when leaving the house. In a previous rented apartment, we could not set the alarm unless everything was closed.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good system (if the current one is not up to much), a good installer, and a good price....although as it will be a one off installation fee with no annual monitoring charges, price is lower on the priority scale.

Thanks in advance!

Marty

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You won't be able to send texts from UPC line.
    You could use generic dialler with an independent message centre, but I'm not a fan of them.
    You could use the Astec Fusion with a voice dialler which will call the required numbers and play a recorded message.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

koolkid wrote: »
    You won't be able to send texts from UPC line.
    You could use generic dialler with an independent message centre, but I'm not a fan of them.
    You could use the Astec Fusion with a voice dialler which will call the required numbers and play a recorded message.

Thanks for your reply koolkid!

Given the fact that I won't have a fixed phoneline and I'm sceptical of a GSM solution, I'm obviously limiting the number of high quality systems I can go for.

1. Is the Astec Fusion considered to be a good quality alarm system by security experts?

2. Do you know any companies in Dublin that will install them?

3. How does the voice dialler call the required numbers and play a recorded message without fixed line or GSM?

4. If I include a GSM solution in the equation, can I get a better system?

Cheers!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

From a security point of view Astec Fusion is as good as any other system that conforms to EN 50131.
    The PSA register of licenced Installers will show you a list of installers in Dublin.
    There are also some Dublin installers listed in the sticky at the top of the forum.
    The voice dialler will work with a UPC phone line.
    A GSM dialler would give you more control with a SigNET or Securewave panel.
    You would have remote access with text commands into the panel.

From a security point of view Astec Fusion is as good as any other system that conforms to EN 50131.
    The PSA register of licenced Installers will show you a list of installers in Dublin.
    There are also some Dublin installers listed in the sticky at the top of the forum.
    The voice dialler will work with a UPC phone line.
    A GSM dialler would give you more control with a SigNET or Securewave panel.
    You would have remote access with text commands into the panel.

Thanks for all the info!! I'll bring GSM back into the mix and look into those 3 systems!

In that case my recommendation would be the SigNET.
    More features for the same price equals better value for money.

• Advertisement

In that case my recommendation would be the SigNET.
    More features for the same price equals better value for money.

Excellent, thanks for the recommendation. Any particular model or do they only have the one system?

The SigNET 100s is the standard with wireless included.
    The SigNET 220ip is the one with built in web server. It is about € 200 dearer.

The SigNET 100s is the standard with wireless included.
    The SigNET 220ip is the one with built in web server. It is about € 200 dearer.

Cheers koolkid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭altor

You could also do the same with a voice dialer connected to the HKC that is already installed.

MartyM wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I'm looking for advise on changing from eircom phonewatch. I would still like a monitored system, but one which simply texts me and a few other numbers would be sufficient.

I will be cancelling the phoneline also as I'm moving to UPC for phone and broadband. However, having read a few posts here I'm concerned about the GSM monitoring option.

I live in the Dublin 18 area, in a relatively new 2 bed, ground floor apartment which was pre-wired for an alarm system. The system installed by eircom is a HKC SecureWatch 8/12 (manual also refers to 12/12, so not entirely sure!). It was installed in Jan 2008.

One thing which currently annoys me about this system is that the alarm will set, even if a window is open when leaving the house. In a previous rented apartment, we could not set the alarm unless everything was closed.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good system (if the current one is not up to much), a good installer, and a good price....although as it will be a one off installation fee with no annual monitoring charges, price is lower on the priority scale.

Thanks in advance!

Marty

The cheapest option here would be to install a voice dialer on to the alarm and connect it to the UPC.
    Another option would be to install the HKC GSM for this alarm. It will give you remote access to the alarm plus if the alarm activates you will know what zone has activated. It will also give you the verified text if a pir is activated in the premises.

There is no need to change the panel to get any of this working.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    The cheapest option here would be to install a voice dialer on to the alarm and connect it to the UPC.
    Another option would be to install the HKC GSM for this alarm. It will give you remote access to the alarm plus if the alarm activates you will know what zone has activated. It will also give you the verified text if a pir is activated in the premises.

There is no need to change the panel to get any of this working.

Hi altor, thanks for the info!

Can you quantify what you mean by the cheapest option? Feel free to PM me, I'm only looking for ball-park figures comparing:

Installing new SigNET system Vs Installing a voice dialer / GSM for the current HKC SecureWatch 8/12 system

I'm open to installing a new system for a few reasons:

1. Comments from the experts on this site relating to the 8/12 are not great....general consensus is that it's out-dated.

2. The problem outlined in my original post regarding the ability to set the alarm while apt windows are still open, i.e. no warning.

Regarding Point 2, perhaps no system can overcome this problem. I think the engineer who installed the HKC said it was due to the pre-wiring of the apartment.....not very good by all accounts!

Thanks!

Marty

I think Altor is referring to installing a generic Voice Dialer triggered by output(s) on your existing panel. They work fine. I am not a big fan of them, but thats just my personal opinion.
    Regardless of what way your apartment is pre wired you would be able to split any looped windows into at least 3 separate zones.
    Your best bet is get a few company's out to actually take a look & advise on whats best for your place. As this is an apartment I would advise putting a battery backup power supply on your UPC router if using its phone line.
    Your electricity could easily be turned off from the main boards in the block.
    If a lot of cases these are accessible from the hallway at the entrance of the block.

MartyM wrote: »
    Hi altor, thanks for the info!

Can you quantify what you mean by the cheapest option? Feel free to PM me, I'm only looking for ball-park figures comparing:

Installing new SigNET system Vs Installing a voice dialer / GSM for the current HKC SecureWatch 8/12 system

I'm open to installing a new system for a few reasons:

1. Comments from the experts on this site relating to the 8/12 are not great....general consensus is that it's out-dated.

2. The problem outlined in my original post regarding the ability to set the alarm while apt windows are still open, i.e. no warning.

Regarding Point 2, perhaps no system can overcome this problem. I think the engineer who installed the HKC said it was due to the pre-wiring of the apartment.....not very good by all accounts!

Thanks!

Marty

Hi Marty,

Yes a standard voice dialer can be hooked up to the alarm. I will P.M. you details.

The HKC 8/12 conforms to the EN50131 standard, I would not install one now as the Secure Wave is the latest panel on the market. With regard to getting rid of the panel to install a newer panel I would not. There is nothing wrong with the 8/12 panel. PW use ID sensors on that system so in order to cover openings you would need contacts on the windows. Nothing major there regardless of how the cables where installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If you keep the HKC system get the installer to update the firmware to the latest version for you. This will get rid of all the bugs and changes from the last few years.

In this situation I would probably hold on to the panel and just add a text unit to it

Advertisement