Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begonia seedlings

Options
  • 18-01-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Has anyone grown begonias from seeds? I have a few hundred semperflorens seedlings up for a few days now, coming on nicely. This morning I noticed that some seed leaves are changing colour to a reddy brown. I know some full grown leaves can be this colour but seed leaves? Is there a problem or is this normal? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

redser7 wrote: »
    Has anyone grown begonias from seeds? I have a few hundred semperflorens seedlings up for a few days now, coming on nicely. This morning I noticed that some seed leaves are changing colour to a reddy brown. I know some full grown leaves can be this colour but seed leaves? Is there a problem or is this normal? Thanks!

You will have a mix of "bronze" and green in begonia seed mixes ,,,depending on the "purity" of the parent plants....and the first true leaf should show some hint to the colour it will be...
    You have several hundred begonia seedlings? must of cost a bomb... found most seed suppliers very expensive for begonias & Impatiens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks Jezko. After a couple of days they are still coming on and looking good so I guess this is natural. The bronze colour is getting deeper. I just always thought seed leaves were green before true leaves show their true colour so to speak.

Sorry these are not semperflorens, they are Thompson & Morgan Options Mixed - 750 seeds for 3.09 in Mr Middleton. I must have done something right to get such a good result with these :-) The s. have done nothing for me yet.

Advertisement