Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Vaccinators

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Any tips or hints appreciated.

Subcutaneous injections are the easiest of all injections to do. I was always told, lift up a scruff of skin from the back of the neck using your left hand (if your right handed like me), it should look like a little tent, hold the needle and syringe in your right hand, you hold it by the very top of the needle/bottom of the syringe so you can feel the little pop it makes when it goes in and you have better control over it, you stick the needle into the door of the tent at about a 15 degree angle, you'l feel the little pop it makes as it goes in. Pull back on the plunger first and air should come out, if blood comes out (very rare but you should always check) you've hit a blood vessel and should re-try until you don't hit a vessel, just air should come out. Then you just inject the vaccine, pull the whole lot out and give it a good rub afterwards. Don't rub the area with a swab before you inject as it can affect the vaccine. And try not to stick yourself! :D

Get someone to hold the dog while your doing it as well, it never usually hurts but some dogs are wimps and literally scream the place down as if your killing them (cavaliers usually :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Okay, I worked briefly in vets and the practice I worked in would routinely give out POM for use in livestock and horses if they were confident the person knew what they were doing, personally don't agree with this as I've seen people make horrible messes trying to vaccinate horses. The same practice would point blank refuse to hand over any small animal POM or a perscription for it without seeing the animal or regular consultation for those with ongoing conditions that they are medicated for. Who you are or what experience you have of injecting livestock is irrelevant to them in the case of small animals. Surely it's illegal for a pharmacy to hand out POM over the counter? I'm pretty sure they'd be taking a huge risk by doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I know this is an old thread. But recently my son's pet had a large litter. I'm comfortable giving vaccine injections and have done so in past. But looks like the rules have changed with selling vaccines over the counter and now can only get vet to do this or get a prescription. I want to give these vaccine's myself most cost effective way possible for pups that are most likely going to be given away. I checked online and I can purchase vaccines from US without prescription. But don't fancy this, as don't know if this is legal, cost of courier makes it expensive (ish), needs to get here in 2 days for live vaccine, probable vat charge on entry.
    Is there an online website within Europe where I can get vaccines without prescription? Is there other types of vaccine that don't need a freezer pack & 2 day travel time to reduce postage costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know this is an old thread. But recently my son's pet had a large litter. I'm comfortable giving vaccine injections and have done so in past. But looks like the rules have changed with selling vaccines over the counter and now can only get vet to do this or get a prescription. I want to give these vaccine's myself most cost effective way possible for pups that are most likely going to be given away. I checked online and I can purchase vaccines from US without prescription. But don't fancy this, as don't know if this is legal, cost of courier makes it expensive (ish), needs to get here in 2 days for live vaccine, probable vat charge on entry.
    Is there an online website within Europe where I can get vaccines without prescription? Is there other types of vaccine that don't need a freezer pack & 2 day travel time to reduce postage costs?

Honestly you really should bring those pups to the vet to get done as they will need to be vet checked anyway before going to their new home.

If you are near the Dublin area, Brian Jones out in Coldwinters, Finglas will do a good price if you have a few to vaccinate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Vaccinating pups with no previous health check is seriously unwise.
    As this thread is ancient, I'm closing it now. If you want to discuss this further, please start a new thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement