Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Alarm Problem

Options
  • 18-01-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys
    I know there has been a lot written on this, I've gone through most of the threads on it. Im wondering can anyone give me a definitive ans to my question.
    I have a HKC alarm, i wanted to get it serviced and got an engineer in to do so. The engineer code was changed by my original installer, a DYI guy from Castleknock. This guy refuses to give me the engineer code so we tried to reset the alarm following the ways suggested on this forum: going into the panel, removing the power and cables etc, but it remains 'Engineer locked'.
    Question - do i have no choice but to get my original and far more expensive engineer back to service it? Or is tehre any other way around this to remove the engineer lock?
    Any help appreciated - i really dont want to get this gangster back and pay through the nose, if i have to ill be watchin over his shoulder to get that bloody engineer code; )
    Thanks a lot
    John

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How long ago was this DIY job done?
    If it's not that long ago you could threaten to report him to the PSA if he's not licenced.
    Otherwise shop around for another reputable company who could change the code for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if its engineer locked then there is no way around it, not that i know of anyway. one option is to try and get your hands on a second hand pcb, or buy a new panel and just switch out the board. this is exspensive and ye need to know what your doin to attempt it.
    you could go online to the psa website and see if the installer is listed as licenced. if not then like koolkid says a phonecall might loosen his tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gozzers08

ok cheers guys, just had a look and to my suprise he is registered with the PSA, certainly didnt seem the type when he did the work 3 years ago. I think ill hold tight on the service and only get him as a last resort and then insist on getting the code from him, as at the moment it seems there is no way round it bar replacing the alarm to a big cost. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You still have the option of using any other licenced installation company.
    Most would be willing to unlock and service it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

gozzers08 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I know there has been a lot written on this, I've gone through most of the threads on it. Im wondering can anyone give me a definitive ans to my question.
    I have a HKC alarm, i wanted to get it serviced and got an engineer in to do so. The engineer code was changed by my original installer, a DYI guy from Castleknock. This guy refuses to give me the engineer code so we tried to reset the alarm following the ways suggested on this forum: going into the panel, removing the power and cables etc, but it remains 'Engineer locked'.
    Question - do i have no choice but to get my original and far more expensive engineer back to service it? Or is tehre any other way around this to remove the engineer lock?
    Any help appreciated - i really dont want to get this gangster back and pay through the nose, if i have to ill be watchin over his shoulder to get that bloody engineer code; )
    Thanks a lot
    John

Hi John,

If the panel is engineer locked there is no way you could unlock the panel. Any alarm engineer would be able to do this for you. You are not locked into having to stick with the same installer regardless of who installed the alarm.

There is also a user walk test on your alarm you could use. If you enter 0#3 on the keypad. Walk test all your sensors them enter your user code to stop the walk test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement