Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€41 for line rental with eircom ?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Can this be true ? For line rental alone ? My uncle is paying this and im sure he is being Screwed

Anyone help please, Got to be a way around this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Line rental is only about €26. He has probably signed up to a talk package. I assume you read his bill for a breakdown of that €41...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

eircom Talktime Anytime @ €40.99
    Unlimited local and national calls, anytime day or night!*

5% off calls to all Irish mobile operators and 10% off calls to International mobiles anytime

10c a minute calls to Britain & US plus 20% off all other
    international calls to landlines

Package includes monthly line rental.

I'll try not to cause any offence but people generally complain without researching the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

I have read the bill, no talk time packages signed up, Line rental is €41 alone, bill is 80 euros for very few calls, he rents the phone but no other costs ie. Broadband etc, definately a rip off, rang eircom and they told me thats just the cost !!! Very unhelpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As far as I can recall (now on a bundle) line rental is €25.38 incl VAT per month or €50.76 per 2 month bill. I can't see were €41 comes from. I can't agree that it's a rip off just because you think it too dear; and Eircom will probably only discuss the bill with the registered customer. There are plenty of bundles available, and other suppliers too, if your uncle is paying too much by your estimation.

Contact Eircom and ask a general question on charges (without reference to your Uncles bill) and see what you should expect on the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Chances are he has had this phone line for donkey's years and they never reduced the line rental costs.

Same thing happened in my parents they had a bill for over 100 euro with massive line rental and even a charge to rent the phone !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Looking at a recent bill right now...

Line rental charges for period 25 Nov 10 to 24 Jan 11 = €41.92 per each two-month bill. This is probably what your uncle is seeing but if he adds on VAT @ 21% it comes to €50.72 for two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So he's not being screwed and there is no rip off and Eircom were right to tell the OP that that's what it costs. No issue therefore. Maybe an apology may be due for making Eircom out to be anything but aboveboard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Chances are he has had this phone line for donkey's years and they never reduced the line rental costs.

Line rental is standard across the board with eircom and always has been, doesn't matter if your a customer 50 years or 1, its still the exact same price.

Renting a telephone handset itself is a different thing to line rental, if your parents did that its not Eircom's fault....if people are too lazy or whatever to go off and buy there own telephone then they can rent one from Eircom, I believe eircom still offer this service.

Its not Eircom's job to tell a customer who rents a telephone handsets, "Hey why are you renting from us?, just go to Argos and buy your own telephone"
    :rolleyes:

Its likely and as already pointed out that the person in question is subscribed to a bundled package, this includes line rental as well as calls for a certain price and/or free destinations. Alternatively its line rental for a two month period.

People are very quick to assume that eircom is somehow ripping them off, sure I'll agree PSTN (telephone line) line rental is high in Ireland but before people claim a company is ripping them off by charging them extra its a good idea to actually read the bill first and perhaps even look at the eircom website or even call Eircom on their freephone number.

Advertisement