Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuchal translucency scan with nasal bone check

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi All,

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and already booked my NT scan at rotunda hospital.
    One of my friend working as a mid-wife in the UK is not fully happy with the scan rotunda is offering as there are more accurate scans available and I'm now trying to see if I can find it in Ireland.

The most accurate detection level is for a scan checking the nuchal translucency thickness, nasal bone, blood flow through the fetal heart and ductis venosus and fetal abnormality, along with the blood test.

I'm trying to find if any hospital / private screening company provide this test but haven't been lucky so far. I'm also trying NI in case. I know they provide those in London but don't really fancy the flight at the moment.

Did anyone heard of those test type before and might know if and where they are offered in Ireland? (around Dublin is better but willing to take the car)

Thanks a million for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Do you feel that you are of high risk of your baby having Downs Syndrome?

If not why not have the scan that you are booked for and if it shows to be normal, just be happy that you are having a healthy baby?

If it shows to be abnormal then maybe consider going further for a more detailled scan?

What blood test are you referring to?

Amniocentesis or CV Sampling will give you a definitive answer as to whether your baby has any chromosomal abnormalities. I think most of the Dublin Maternity Hospitals offer this but I don't know at what cost. There is also the risk of Miscarriage from both of these tests. I've never heard of you having a blood test to determine any abnormalities as the fetal blood and maternal blood never mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sabria

The blood test I'm refering to is the mother blood test which can be done at the same time as the nuchal scan. The blood test associated with the nuchal scan gives a better estimation.

I don't think I'm a high risk as below 35, but my friend is clearly insisting. I'm just lost and confuse I think to try to have a certain peace of mind after 2 previous MC.

Anyway, I just find one clinic offering the test I want in Belfast but it is extremely expensive I think (340£) for scan and blood test. Not sure I'll go that way anyway. For the ones who consider going that way, the website id www.3fivetwo.com. Obviously, I don't know how good they are, I just know they do the scan as mentioned in the first message.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Have you looked at Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock? They do a NT scan and blood test (though you have to bring your own bloods).

Hi NextSteps,
    I went to Ultrasound Dimensions in Blackrock for a Dating scan and ask about the nuchal scan. They are doing the same as in the rotunda hospital and Holles St as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Hi Sabria,

I had this scan done in the Rotunda when I was 11.5 weeks pregnant. It's a very detailed scan, takes apx 25-35 mins, they measure everything -back of head, thickness of neck, length, facial features etc and also take blood samples from you, to check protein levels.
    All the info is fed into a computer and you get a estimated guess of what your percentage of having a child with DS and other chromosone issues is.
    If your reading comes back low eg 1 in 3 etc, you can get an amniosythesis (sp?) to get an exact percentage.
    I'm just coming up to 27 weeks now, so dont know for definite, but have had loads of scans since and all seems fine. I think my odds were 1 in 3,000, which is well above the age average - I'm almost 37.

• Advertisement

Hi Amberjack,

Thank you for explaining in detail what they are doing. I wish the lady could have told me that on the phone when I asked. It feels like you are satisfied with the scan and so should I as I shouldn't be in the high risk group. I'm just gonna go for this one and forget about the other one.
    Thanks a lot to everyone who replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Sabria,

They are very thorough with the scan/bloods and I found them very nice and helpful. When the nurse is taking your blood, she goes through the whole procedure and also has a chart with the average risk per age group. My findings came back with the risk of a 15 year old, which I was very happy about.
    The bonus is that you get a really detailed look at your little one jumping around, which is great.
    Its really nothing to worry about. I choose to do it, because of my age and also family history. It was 250.00, but money well spent in my opinion, for peace of mind. If there had have been a chance of DS, I would have been able to prepare myself for it and read up on it.
    Relax and make the most of getting a good detailed look at babs.
    Amberjack :)

Advertisement