Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting house exterior

• 18-01-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Any advice here is greatly appreciated.
    I bought a bungalow last year and I want to paint the exterior and front walls. It has been neglected paint-wise for years so the paint is flakey and very flakey in some places. I'm wondering if I should power wash off all of this and start again? If so, do I need to get every single bit of the paint off (including where it is not flaking)? Also, will I need to apply multiple coats?
    I'm confident enough to do it myself once the weather improves in Spring but feel free to add any tips you like.
    Thanks for your help....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah, power wash it down completley. You dont need to remove any paint thats not flaking. All loose or paint thats not snug and tight to the building needs to come off. Apply a sealer or stabilizer over the top of affected areas. Then apply two coats of quality exterior paint. Dulux Weathershield is worth the extra few bob. As in all paint jobs, the work is in the prep, dont apply paint before prep is finished to a high standard. May be worth your while buying a roll of sandpaper and a wire brush to remove all loose/flaky paint

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

Thanks Phil.
    I looked into the Dulux stuff. I'll price it in a few places. Do you know if the spray on stuff is worth getting? I know there is probably hidden work involved like covering windows, doors etc and I would still need to brush certain areas. But would it save a lot of time?

To tell you the truth I have never used the spray stuff. We us the standard stuff a lot and its great. If you want to spray, airless is the way to go. Prob with spraying exterior is penatrating the render or pebbledash. With roller it takes a little longer but its easier to control.

Phil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ask yourself a question here..................................

Why dont you see all professional painters up on ladders or scaffold platforms using spray systems when painting house exteriors???

They dont,as theres a very good reason why the painters all paint masonary and house exteriors with a masonary brush,deep pile roller and a good auld fashioned ladder or scaffold platform.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Yeah, power wash it down completley. You dont need to remove any paint thats not flaking. All loose or paint thats not snug and tight to the building needs to come off. Apply a sealer or stabilizer over the top of affected areas. Then apply two coats of quality exterior paint. Dulux Weathershield is worth the extra few bob. As in all paint jobs, the work is in the prep, dont apply paint before prep is finished to a high standard. May be worth your while buying a roll of sandpaper and a wire brush to remove all loose/flaky paint

Phil.

100% agree with this. Had similar story to op 2 yr ago and followed this and now looks great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Maybe get urself a good quality scrapper aswell OP..
    One of the wallpaper striping type.
    They are around a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

Thanks to all.
    I'll get a scraper, supplies and hire a power washer once the weather picks up.
    Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Phil.
    Hi,
    Like the other member here I need to paint also but I would like to fine plaster first. Can it be applied over dash or must I remove the dash first. Only some of the paint has come off the window sills, when I'll paint it, it will look bad, what can I do and how can I prevent it from coming off next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I usd the spray before its very messy unless you are on the ground spraying straight infront of you at the perfest height otherwise its a waste of space. Ill never use it again its the brush a long brush roller from now on.

Hi,
    Like the other member here I need to paint also but I would like to fine plaster first. Can it be applied over dash or must I remove the dash first. Only some of the paint has come off the window sills, when I'll paint it, it will look bad, what can I do and how can I prevent it from coming off next time.

Sorry starlight. What exactly are you asking? Is the problem on the cills or the walls. Pebbledash is it, or maybe both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Hi cardwizzard,
    Sorry I didnt explain properly. My house has pebbledash on it and we want to give it a smooth finish, fine plaster it. Must we remove the dash first.

My other query is that some of the paint has come off the window cills, should I try to remove it all.

Advertisement