Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

planes or jets in kilkenny

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed the amount of airplanes over kilkenny the last few days, especially this morning?

Only since 8.30 am this morning (it's now 11.50am) I must have seen at least 15 of them... all with contrails being left behind.

They are mostly in the mornings I have noticed... think it's a bit odd with the amount of them!

At one point, I seen 3 of them all pass each other at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's no higher number of jets than usual, this is a very common part of the world to see transatlantic jets, it's only unusual that you can see them because of the clear weather. The weather is also the reason why there's long lasting contrails which are simply particles of water vapour left after the jet engine ionises them and makes them kind of condensate like a cloud..

I did see someone in a light aircraft over Kilkenny this morning at around half ten. High wing single engine job, white, looked like a Cessna 172 or similar. Really looked to be flying illegally low over a built up area as well but you can't really tell from the ground so it's one word against another.

Contrails are a big consipracy theory thing and this has been flogged to death both in the flying in ireland online forum and in the aviation forum on this website. Simple matter is they are civilian or military aircraft going about their business. Case closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭*melanie*

Thanks for the info... I guess I just never noticed before.
    I was NOT edging that there is some conspiracy, so not really sure why you brought that up.
    Contrails are NOT a conspiracy either, they are just vapour.
    Chemtrails are a conspiracy, I did NOT mention them once in my post.

Have a good day.

Yea sorry, I appreciate you're not a conspiracy theorist, I am just used to fielding questions from nut-jobs who think the government is spraying us with mind control chemicals from aeroplanes etc.... people who won't take no for an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yea sorry, I appreciate you're not a conspiracy theorist, I am just used to fielding questions from nut-jobs who think the government is spraying us with mind control chemicals from aeroplanes etc.... people who won't take no for an answer.
    No need to apologise....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ha Ha lol. some people believe anything. Any time a look up in the sky I see loads of planes only when its clear not cloudy:rolleyes:

Come on *melanie* you can't be series?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Definately clearer condition than normal. I flicked scan on the car radio up at the old dublin road and ricked up BBC 2 FM! That's never happened before.

But just for Melenie, it is a special chemical that turns rational logical people into drooling zombies who believe everything Fianna Fail tells them. Happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Pritty cool link here OP for air traffic.

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

Perhaps its the clear weather we've been having? Contrails are more visible?
    ;)
    That's cool, but you can see its limitations if you zoom out a good but - it seems to only show some of the traffic. For example, looking at it now there isn't a single plane over the Atlantic, and the planes that are there are in clumps over the big airports.

Wow, thanks Monty. I feel so.... used. Apology withdrawn.

Interestingly, in 1952 there were a lot of people in the village of Lynmouth in the UK complaining about large numbers of low flying aircraft, chemtrails, the whole works.... They were dismissed as being a show of nutters.

Then it started raining, a tropical storm blew up and half the village washed away, a good few people were Killed.

Apparently it was the RAF undertaking cloud seeding experiments which caused it, though that's not proven, it's believed by an awful lot of people and there's evidence to suggest it's true.

But over Kilkenny, we're right under a pretty busy bit of airspace. I look up at aeroplanes a lot, believe you me, and I have done so for many years and there's no increase in numbers. It's right about normal.

Yeah it is busy. I was driving between Gorwan and Boris this morning and I could see a good queue of planes lined up heading east but veering left above mount Leinster as if to approach Dublin. I reckon there was five or six in a row. The sky is so clear at the moment.

Christ, are you all thick stupid, or just can't read?
    Which is it? Both?

Notice in my post in the other thread, I said...
    ''This is NOT normal!
    Chemtrails - Contrails, I don't bloody know, but something is definitely going on. No doubt about it.''

And I am right in this.

AGAIN - because It seems you can't read, I am NOT saying it is a conspiracy, but it is more air traffic, and I want to know WHY.

• Advertisement

I am a licenced private pilot and I am telling you it is normal.

Perhaps someone else more qualified than myself (a commercial or military pilot maybe? or an air traffic controller?) might refute my claim of normality, but until such time as one of them bothers their arse taking the time to explain that the only reason you are seeing more air traffic is because the sky is clear, you'll have to take my word for it. Though judging by your posts above you'll probably choose not to.

And to answer your other questions, no I am not 'thick stupid' and yes I can read.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Is it insulting to be called 'thick stupid'?
    I presume there was insult intended but something got lost in translation... behave.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

*melanie* wrote: »
    AGAIN - because It seems you can't read, I am NOT saying it is a conspiracy, but it is more air traffic, and I want to know WHY.

I'm actually curious as to why you want this information?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'm actually curious as to why you want this information?
    Just paranoid, probably on too much drugs:pac:

Same crap everywhere, moon landings, 911, chem-trails:rolleyes:

Melanie, there's a saying; "If you think you're right, you're right. If you think you're wrong, you're right."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

May as well post this this here. Did anybody see something really weird in the sky at about 7:30am Tuesday or Wednesday morning. My father says he saw a multi-coloured fast flashing object float and then just disappear, looked fairly big too. Didn't look like any light aircraft, or plane/helicopter heading to Waterford airport, doesn't sound like it either. Although it well could of been he's just not familiar with aircraft light set ups.
    He saw it around the Knockmoylan/Mullinavat area heading to work. :pac::confused:

Could have been chinese lanterns or maybe the international space station.

Plug wrote: »
    Could have been chinese lanterns or maybe the international space station.

Was expecting someone to say Chinese lanterns. Dunno, at 7:30am? and multicoloured? Doubt it somehow, ISS isn't multicoloured or flashing either. It was most likely a light aircraft with very bright nav/strobe lights I'm just curious if anybody else saw it.

If I had to guess I'd say it's the S-61 SAR chopper out of Waterford, it's the size of a bus and has lights and strobes galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

As Kilkenny flyer said you are over a flight patch between North America, Canada and Europe, Traffic hasn’t suddenly increased, it’s the same every day, the only reason you can see the aircraft is due to clear skies. Can’t be put any more simpler:)

• Advertisement

If I had to guess I'd say it's the S-61 SAR chopper out of Waterford, it's the size of a bus and has lights and strobes galore.
    Jesus I think that landed at the army barracks a few months back. Im near Nolan park and it woke me up. This was about 12. Friends of mine heard it over the other side of town too. Series thing!

[IMG][/img]168419_1842757833425_1374987225_32126644_6097122_n.jpg
    Ok, so is this a normal amount? Maybe so - new to me.
    This was this morning.

That's only the part I captured on my camera...at the same time, there were more surrounding - a lot more.
    I got other pictures too.

Saw them about 10 this morning. Im around nolan park. its normal when its not cloudy.

Was thinking thats the most likely suspect too. He should of recognized it though seeing as it trains around his workplace every week. Eh he probably just was too tired :rolleyes:

Plug wrote: »
    Jesus I think that landed at the army barracks a few months back. Im near Nolan park and it woke me up. This was about 12. Friends of mine heard it over the other side of town too. Series thing!

Yea it's an absolute monster, it's only when you see it up close you realise how big it actually is. Some noise off it as well. It's about 40 years old!

It's about 40 years old!

God save Ireland:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

To the OP.
    There's a peak of traffic over here at times, making sure people arrive at their destinations at a reasonable local time, or letting them depart their home airport at a civilised hour, whichever it happens to be.
    There was an increase in military traffic over the past decade with the war in Iraq/Afghanistan, but this was quite obvious when it ramped up in the early years.
    Fwiw, a year ago I saw a near-miss above Callan and I've never seen a commercial/large military jet take such an avoiding maneouvre as I saw that morning. One of the pilots was asleep at the wheel.
    I've been checking the airproxy board every so often, in the hope one of the aircraft was UK registered, so might throw some light on it, but nada so far.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I am a licenced private pilot and I am telling you it is normal.

Perhaps someone else more qualified than myself (a commercial or military pilot maybe? or an air traffic controller?) might refute my claim of normality, but until such time as one of them bothers their arse taking the time to explain that the only reason you are seeing more air traffic is because the sky is clear, you'll have to take my word for it. Though judging by your posts above you'll probably choose not to.

And to answer your other questions, no I am not 'thick stupid' and yes I can read.

As Kilkenny flyer said you are over a flight patch between North America, Canada and Europe, Traffic hasn’t suddenly increased, it’s the same every day, the only reason you can see the aircraft is due to clear skies. Can’t be put any more simpler

Well thats where your both wrong..there is another reason why you may see more contrails on one day than the next regardless of how clear the sky is. The majority of contrails you are seeing are traffic between Europe and North Amaerica. The occur in two waves..Eastbound from America pass over in the mornings from about 0400 to 0800 and the afternoon they all head back to the states from bout 1100 to 1500. Obviously you will have the odd one going opposite directions at different times. These aircraft follow the North Atlantic Track system. Air Traffic control Radar coverage from Ireland extends only to about 200 nautical miles west of the west coast. From here to about 200nm east of the east coast of america ATC cannot see aircraft on radar so they have ensure they are seperated from each other a different way. This is normally done by applying vertical separation. each aircraft 1000 feet above or below another or time separtation, aircraft at the same level must pass a defined point 200 miles west when leaving radar coverage 10 minutes apart and maintaining the same speed. 10 mins flying time imeans they will be about 100 miles apart at all times until the get inside radar coverage on the far side where separtion an be reduced right down to 5 miles as the Air traffic controller can see them on his screen. When these aircraft leave radar coverage they cross the Atlantic on Tracks. Picture it as a 5 lane motorway between here and North America. Once an Aircraft is in a lane..it stays in that lane all the way to the far side. This motorway in the sky is not fixed and can be moved from one day to the next to take advantage of the wind. It is decided each day where it will lie by ATC authuritys on ech side of the Atlantic after looking at current and forcast winds. The Gulfstream is a funnel of wind that hits our shores from a south easterly direction this gives us our mild but wet climate. The ATC people see how far north or south on the atlantic this is occuring and take advantage of it. They put the tracks in the gulfstream in the morning so the aircraft flying from the states have a tailwind which pushes them over the ocean quickly resulting in less fuel cunsumption and avoid it in the afternoon so that aircraft going back to the states do not have a headwind which would slow them down and use alot more fuel. So sometimes when you see lots of contrails over kilkenny it means the tracks are just off the west coast of ireland. On another clear day with not a plane to be seen the tracks may be furthur north taking aircraft over Scotland.

Another reason is..sometimes aircraft are making contrails so you will see them easy and on another clear day they are not making contrails because the temp of the air there in is not conducive to making trails

Waffle over!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Fwiw, a year ago I saw a near-miss above Callan and I've never seen a commercial/large military jet take such an avoiding maneouvre as I saw that morning. One of the pilots was asleep at the wheel.
    I've been checking the airproxy board every so often, in the hope one of the aircraft was UK registered, so might throw some light on it, but nada so far.

Tell me more about this..eh.."near miss" you think you saw!!

Advertisement