Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"My phone number" says "Unknown"

• 18-01-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Settings -> About Phone -> Status -> My phone number = Unknown

No big deal, but the icons in text messaging show up as gray boxes and perhaps more things I don't know about?

I sent O2 support this link http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/4375-solved-my-phone-number-is-unknown/ but they seem confused by it. Does anybody know the magic phrase which will forward my request to somebody who can fix it?
    Please note that the mobile network in the US can differ considerably to that in Ireland and there are many products and services available there that we do not support here. We are unable to send settings to your phone to update how your number shows under settings. This can not be completed by our technicians either.

The only OTA settings we have available are for internet and mms and are available directly on www.o2.ie.
    Stephen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What o2 mean is that Android supports both CDMA and GSM networks in some of its settings, so the phone number is displayed as unknown because you are using a GSM network whereas on a CDMA network the phone number will be retrievable.

*please not that the above is just an example, it may not be true but just an example in differences, on my Galaxy S my number is "unknown" also but thats not to say others on GSM networks cant retrieve their number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Mine has a number I have never used as I ported my own number. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 steve9000

Thanks all. I'll just have to be happy with a grey box icon in text messaging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

The number is saved on the SIM card. It can be updated remotely by the carrier by sending a specially formatted SMS message. It can also be updated by the phone itself, but Android doesn't support this. If you have a friend with an iPhone or if you have an old Sony Ericsson phone, pop the SIM card into that phone and edit the phone number to show whatever you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

11 year post, I would imagine they got it sorted by now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement