Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire Meteor 1GB monthly data allowance

Options
  • 18-01-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I intend to buy a HTC Desire through Meteor on a monthly price plan that includes 1GB data allowance.

I have never had a Bill pay phone, and I was wondering has anyone been burned at the end of the month with a huge bill thanks to over use of the internet on their phone?

If you go over the 1GB allowance how much do Meteor charge after that?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

what kind of net usage are you planning using it for?

i have a desire which is used fairly extensively every day and i use about 400mb per month (3 mail accounts, several apps synching, a decent amount of browsing). if you're constantly on youtube, streaming radio etc then i'd be a little weary of the limit

data is charged at 69c per day for 50mb after the 1gb is used

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

welp.png

Question answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Hi
    You can also download a free app called 3g watchdog. This will tell you how much data you have used so far and warns you if you get near your limit which you set on it. I have been using it all the time and its great. Only use about half my 1gb/month too.
    Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

Thanks thats really useful. I was planning on listening to FM radio on the train morning and evening. Wouldnt really be into watching youtube on it as I can do that on my laptop.
    Normal browsing on google , email , skype , meteor web texts - these are the apps I use daily

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

srsly78
    blue_star_2.gif

Adverts | Friends

Holy **** that screenshot cannot be real

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Thanks thats really useful. I was planning on listening to FM radio on the train morning and evening. Wouldnt really be into watching youtube on it as I can do that on my laptop.
    Normal browsing on google , email , skype , meteor web texts - these are the apps I use daily

FM radio won't affect your data usage at all, but if you use streaming radio from an app then that will come from data.

tbh, for battery preservation as much as anything, I normally have 3g turned off. It can be turned on in a couple of seconds if you want to check email/browse/use data app. Also, turn on wifi at hmoe rather than 3g, assuming you have a wifi connection at home. That, in conjuntion with 3g watchdog means that the adta amount is well controlled. I usually use about 600mb or so per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

probably just an error at some stage :D

i hit my limit at one stage (broadband at home ran out so i was tethering my phone to my pc for internet for around 20 days), rang them up, asked for the 250Mb addon halfway through the month and got it (got 125Mb of it, but at 2.50 instead of 5 euro also i think it was)
    either way i had the broadband back up by then..

personally i wont go through even half of it either. any major downloading i do, i have the wifi at home which i use for market updates etc (much faster also) so if you have wifi anywhere for major updates you are fine for sure..
    fm radio? i assume thats through the actual radio and not through the internet?
    either way i wouldnt think radio would be heavy on usage if you arent listening to it more than half an hour or an hour per day..
    also the phone is an mp3 player also so get yourself some tunes and stick them on it either and you are sorted..

the watchdog is pretty accurate also and you can check usage online so its easy monitor how you are doing.

i considered 3, but apparently reception is dodgy as hell (whats the use in a phone with no reception :P) i dont know though. maybe they are a better deal for you.
    think its 5 euro per month cheaper, and also a 2Gb data allowance as well as free texts to all networks? not sure..

either way im with meteor and no complaints. as i said. decent. when i went up in usage, rang them up and they sorted me out straight away. cant complain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Holy **** that screenshot cannot be real

It is real. In the end they capped the bill at e60 data charges tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Even with heavy use of wifi both at home and at work, I still find many months going over 1GB with normal use so I tend to think a minimum cap should be 2GB.

3G watchdog is fantastic though if you are restricted to 1GB as it will help keep you in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

My old HTC Tattoo did this to me

picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=4997

I've got 3G Watchdog now so I should notice if it happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

srsly78 wrote: »
    It is real. In the end they capped the bill at e60 data charges tho.

What caused it? Downloading movies while roaming or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

groom wrote: »
    What caused it? Downloading movies while roaming or something?

the old data charges i imagine, it is from June 2010 by the looks if it

2c per kb = ~€20 per mb

19202/20 = 960.1mb

the new charges help a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Try the MyAccount app from Meteor. Gives you your account data on the phone. I am nearly always up around the 1gb limit and my bills were 4000+ euros per month, however Meteor billing is frequently inaccurate and a few calls to customer services sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

use wifi at home and work but even when on holiday for a few weeks in the country never once got near the 1gb limit, even using the phone as a hotspot for the laptop. everyone's usage is different though. my bill is 30/month with meteor, free meteor texts & calls, webtexts for other networks & 200 mins and texts, 1gb. only time i ever go over that is if i call the uk or a premium number etc

id start out with the first month with 1gb, keep an eye on your usage so you dont go over and see how you get on with it. you can always go up to the next plan if you find its not enough whereas changing down may incur penalties

Advertisement