Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a receipt?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I'd had an issue regarding a bill with Eircom over the past few months. Finally they realised that I didn't owe as much as they said and we agreed together to pay what I knew I owed them.I've posted off the amount with a covering levering asking for a receipt. Am I entitled to get this? Frankly I don't trust the company anymore and want something other than a bank statement for proof of payment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A bank statement will be more than enough proof of payment. Once payment is received, it should appear on your bill as a credit. If the bill was wrong, and eircom recognised this, then you should have insisted they correct the bill and issue you with a new one, then paid that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

assuming its a cheque payable to eircom, then the stub is your receipt (proof of payment).
    the bill is your invoice and statement of account in one (as jor el stated) and that should reflect your current balance.
    it will also be updated once payment is received

a shop receipt is a combination of invoice and proof of payment (bill cleared on receipt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The surrendered cheque is in itself a receipt. It's not usual for utilities to issue receipts for cheque or electronic transfer payments, as they are not necessary. How did you pay?

subway wrote: »
    assuming its a cheque payable to eircom, then the stub is your receipt (proof of payment).

A stub from a cheque book is proof of nothing. It is a memorandum to yourself only. It does not prove that a cheque was paid over at all/ Likewise a Bank Staemet only proves a cheque for a value was paid out; it does not prove to whom payment was made. The cancelled or surrendered chque is the proof of payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

A stub from a cheque book is proof of nothing. It is a memorandum to yourself only. It does not prove that a cheque was paid over at all/ Likewise a Bank Staemet only proves a cheque for a value was paid out; it does not prove to whom payment was made. The cancelled or surrendered chque is the proof of payment.
    you're correct, mixing my terms, the stub is just your personal note.
    its the physical cheque itself that is the receipt.

i have never had the misfortune of owning a chequebook ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Should have mentioned that I payed by cheque which will appear on my bank statement ok. However as one poster alluded to above it only gives the cheque number therefore it would not be possible, without delving further into it, to readily show who the cheque was payable to.So I'm guessing Eircom don't HAVE to issue a receipt? Is that correct?Thanks for the replies.

Correct. If there is a dispute you can get a copy of the front & back of the cheque from your bank and it will show who cashed it, where and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Grand job. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Also, your next bill/statement will show the amount that they received during the month. This is as close to being a receipt as makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Once the cheque hits your accountm ring Eircon customer service and request a statement showing a 0 balance; chances are Eircon will just issue you a credit for the difference between the requested sum and the agreed payment (long and bitter experience of dealing with Eircon, unfortunately).

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote: »
    Once the cheque hits your accountm ring Eircon customer service and request a statement showing a 0 balance; chances are Eircon will just issue you a credit for the difference between the requested sum and the agreed payment (long and bitter experience of dealing with Eircon, unfortunately).

To be honest that is just too OTT!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

@Srameen. Unfortunately it isn't OTT when it comes to Eircom. They continued billing us for 12 months after we left them for an amount nearing e600 which they had agreed 8 times on the phone was a zero balance. They passed it on to a debt collection agency.

The debt collector sent us a letter, we rang him to explain the situation, and he got back on to Eircom. He then sent us a letter from his office confirming that there was no amount owed after he checked what we had said with Eircom.

Advertisement