Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private lessons or small club

• 18-01-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone , I'm searching for a martial art to take up for the new year and I'm not too keen on training in large groups. I'm looking for a club\Dojo\teacher that either gives private lessons or teaches small groups. I'm drawn more towards Kung Fu , Kenpo & Ninjitsu as opposed to MMA or any sport orientated styles ( no offense to these styles ). If anybody could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭MBateson

I've never heard of anyone giving private lessons but you're better off in a club (IMO), you get to spar against different people which will add to your experience of dealing with opponents of different height\size\ability etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Seanachai wrote: »
    Hey everyone , I'm searching for a martial art to take up for the new year and I'm not too keen on training in large groups. I'm looking for a club\Dojo\teacher that either gives private lessons or teaches small groups. I'm drawn more towards Kung Fu , Kenpo & Ninjitsu as opposed to MMA or any sport orientated styles ( no offense to these styles ). If anybody could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

As far as I know, Ninjitsu guys tend to keep small classes so maybe that will suit you? As for private lessons, there are many instructors out there that do them. If you have a copy of Irish Fighter there are club listings with instructors that do privates. Available in Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Cheers , I'll grab a copy of that magazine and check out the ads so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Postgrad09

I used to train in kenpo karate with these guys http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37377582331&ref=mf
    and always found it to be good fun, the classes are quite small and I'm sure the instructors would give you private lessons but your better off joining the classes as its much better craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭paul moran

Hello Seanachai,

Depending on where you are based, since we created a Teenagers club and shipped tall under 17's into it we have pretty small sized adults classes in Deansgrange, Dublin. We teach Shaolin Kung Fu and you are welcome to come along anytime to take a look at what we do and for a free trail week anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hello Seanachai,

We have a number of clubs in Dublin, where we teach small number of adults at a time. What we offer is training in South East Asian Arts i.e Silat, Kali etc.. Adult Classes are design to be fun and individually challenging. We offer short intros courses so you get a feel of the art, before fully committing. If you like more info please feel free to send me a message or you can call. Good luck with your search.

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Bujinkan(Ninjutsu) classes across Ireland. They can be small or large depending on the club and you can get as much personal attention as depends on how much effort you put in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

HI Seanachai,

we are training in WingTsun kung fu ( self defence oriented ). The school is open 4 days a week, we usually are between 5 and 12, and private classes are provided as well. You are welcome for a trial class where an induction to the basics of the system will be provided so you will see if it matches your expectations.

For more informations you can contact at wingtsundublin@gmail.com.

Bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

hi seanchi ,

i am a member of a kenpo club that has its own full time dojo and does private lessons . the club itself trains on a mon , tue , wed ,thur and sun morning . with private classes run most days for private and self defence classes . the head in structor is mr jimmy poland and is responsible for many europeen and world chapions throught out the years .

he has many black belts with 9 active at the moment the teaching style of each individual are similar and you could actually have the bennifit of each of them . hav a look at the links below

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001521206900

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Jimmys-Kenpo-Academy/116577448939

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_175458342493060

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Thanks everybody. I've got some good leads to go on now. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Seanachai wrote: »
    Hey everyone , I'm searching for a martial art to take up for the new year and I'm not too keen on training in large groups.

Here's a club that has very small classes. Generally no more than 6 students train at any one time.

Cheers,

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irlankara

I have been doing Karate for a few years in a small club and find it great.

There is a list of Karate Clubs on www.irelandkaratenews.com if you are interested. Different styles are represented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 RogueFaye

HI Seanachai,

we are training in WingTsun kung fu ( self defence oriented ). The school is open 4 days a week, we usually are between 5 and 12, and private classes are provided as well. You are welcome for a trial class where an induction to the basics of the system will be provided so you will see if it matches your expectations.

For more informations you can contact at wingtsundublin@gmail.com.

Bye

Massimo, Where about is your club locate? Which lineage?
    Got a wooden dummy? what levels are most people on? Like Chi sao , Gor sao level?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mugger

Be careful you dont get ur pants pulled down on the private lessons ive heard of some mad money be charged,if you spend any more than 40euro an hour ur been robbed IMO,dont get fooled on what belts they are either it doesnt mean they are good teachers

Advertisement