Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous Non-White Irish People?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NorthernBuzz

Nodin wrote: »
    A few years back, the bould Peter made a few remarks about the 'coloureds' on the Irish team...meant in less than a complimentary manner..evidently somebody remembered. Would have been funnier if they said he had a civil partnership with Nigel Dodds though.

To be fair to Peter Robinson (which is rare!) complaints were made at the time 'he' made those remarks about the Irish football team and it was subsequently found that the paper in question falsely attributed the 'coloureds' remark to him so he didn't actually make those comments in all fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Jason Sherlock

Dr. Bhangee an Indian doctor who got elected as a TD in Clare with the labour party

Liz Bonnin

Alan Shatter (He's a Jew)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The guitar duo Rodrigo Y Gabriela are from Mexico but made a name for themselves after they emigrated to Dublin and befriended Damien Rice.
    Were busking round temple bar before they got big I believe

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    That was a Gary Moore song wasn't it?

Written by Gary Moore yes, but performed by Gary Moore and Phil Lynott together.

I also happens to be the name of Gary Moore's compilation album
    "Out in the Fields: The Very Best of Gary Moore"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Were busking round temple bar before they got big I believe
    Yes. I think Damien Rice saw them busking and asked them to support him on one of his tours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

enda1 wrote: »
    Yeah Setanta is down under but calling him not white. Hmmm. He's more sallow skinned really, no?

Jason Sherlock, to continue the GAA trend.

He's about as white as you are arab...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Has their ever been a black presenter on RTE outta curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Red from Shawshank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

R_H_C_P wrote: »

Lisa Bonin, Kevin Sharkey, Baz whatisface with the sexy sister...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Constantin Gurdiyev was born in Russia but is pretty Irish considering he spends his entire time bitchin about the economy and the govt. I am too lazy to read the entire thread so don't know if Leo Varadkar has been mentioned yet. He is Irish with an indian parent (can't remember which).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

WindSock wrote: »
    Red from Shawshank.

"maybe because im irish" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Stinicker wrote: »
    Jason Sherlock

Dr. Bhangee an Indian doctor who got elected as a TD in Clare with the labour party

Liz Bonnin

Still white though?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

If the title was famous red-haired Irish people would you reply the same?
    No, i wouldnt reply the same. I'd say why would the colour of someones hair matter?

Simples really.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Immigration is a relatively recent development here so not too surprising.

BS

The volume increased but there has always been immigration into Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

John Rocha.. not Irish born but I believe he is now an Irish citizen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Mike Tyson's biological fathers surname was Kirkpatrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

prinz wrote: »
    Paul McGrath? Dr. Mosajee Bhamjee?

Based in Our Lady's hospital in Ennis? Same guy?

Had a mate that used to take LSD and magic mushrooms before appointments with this guy. Just to fcuk with his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Shaquille of the O'Neill clan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

WindSock wrote: »
    Red from Shawshank.

He was originally white. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Apanachi wrote: »
    Laura Izibor

Originally born in Africa but we'll claim her because of her accent!

• Advertisement

ascanbe wrote: »
    Shaquille of the O'Neill clan.

O'Shea Jackson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Tiger Woods

Quazzie wrote: »
    He was originally white. ;)

Morgan Freeman was white alright - did you see that old footage of him in that insurance ad on TV?

Kasabian wrote: »
    Tiger Woods

Don't know if theres Irish in Tiger woods.....Probably been Tiger Woods in some Irish though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Morgan Freeman was white alright - did you see that old footage of him in that insurance ad on TV?

Who mentioned Morgan Freeman? :confused:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Who mentioned Morgan Freeman? :confused:

Me quite obviously. Look there. In my post.

You even quoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

You do know that Judaism is a religion, not a skin colour or race, right?

Course you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Zig and Zag

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Think Ray Shah moved to England as a child or moved over here around the same age - he defo sounds Dublin-ish anyhew. His ma is Irish.

As for the O Halpins, their mam is Fijian, and native Fijians have darker skin than a lot of Africans.

It's kinda funny that a lot of other nationalities would see Ireland as being very white still (particularly the kind of Americans who think we all live in thatch cottages eating potatoes) even though we've had quite a mix of famous faces over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

R_H_C_P wrote: »

About a minute in, don't remember her on anything else though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Are there any genuinely non-white famous Irish?

Everyone mentioned so far is either English with Irish heritage or half-white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

ye Jimi Hendrix was Afrish American

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Terry Phelan

HE'S IN DA RA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

The Irish are the blacks of Europe and Dubs are the blacks of Ireland and north Dubs are the blacks of Dublin, so say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud.

no their not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Jason Sherlock, to continue the GAA trend.
    A great bunch of lads.

storm2811 wrote: »
    Still white though?confused.gif
    You do know that Judaism is a religion, not a skin colour or race, right?

Course you do.

The Jewish people are their own race, obviously it is also a religion but there is a clear race of Jews in the world. My guess is that Shatter is an Ashkenazi, note his tight hair and tanned complexion. He is not ethnically not Irish thats for sure, and his lack of Aryan features indicate this.

It depends on how vague you want to be with white of course, I am a firm believer of the single drop rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Ruth Negga?

She was in Love/Hate and the last series of Misfits. Ethiopian father and Irish mother according to wiki......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Olunkunle “Kunle” Elukanlo :p
    The Nigerian crook?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Ruth Negga?

She was in Love/Hate and the last series of Misfits. Ethiopian father and Irish mother according to wiki......
    She's tiny, but **** she's hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Coaly's Hole.

He has to be irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Immigration is a relatively recent development here so not too surprising.

Leo Varadkar half Asian.

Half asian-half paddy and all b**lox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Eddie Murphy.

Well, this video says so:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

The Jewish people are their own race, obviously it is also a religion but there is a clear race of Jews in the world. My guess is that Shatter is an Ashkenazi, note his tight hair and tanned complexion. He is not ethnically not Irish thats for sure, and his lack of Aryan features indicate this.

It depends on how vague you want to be with white of course, I am a firm believer of the single drop rule.

No, do you have any idea what you are talking about? 'Aryan' features? Do you even know what the word aryan means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

definitely not white:

Definitely Not White.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Terry Phelan

• Advertisement

No, do you have any idea what you are talking about? 'Aryan' features? Do you even know what the word aryan means?

Yes, I do, the word Aryan can have several meanings depending on the context and view point.

Aryan features, blue eyes, fair skin both of which Mr. Shatter lacks in his media pictures, (maybe they are photshopped?) I have never met him but he is a respectable politician with more credibility than most of the crooks in the Dail. The thread was about Famous non White people and I just reference Alan Shatter along with a few more people.

Aryan can mean Indo European or as it is used most commonly in popular culture as a theory that was common in the last century especially with Nazi ideology. The more PC inclined may refer to the Aryan race as Caucasian or "White".

Aryan can also mean to do with the Iranian people, and some historians seem to suggest that Europeans may have originated in Iran which has some of the oldest civilisations on Earth so it would make sense, and may also fit in with the theory that the three main global races evolved from Monkeys in Africa and spread globally.

The Aryan race may have originated in Iran and Caucasus before migrating Westwards into Europe, the Mongolid Asian race then migrated eastwards across the steppe into Mongolia and China before spreading throughout the Far east with various interracial admixtures between Mongolid and Caucasian giving the different Asian races, similarly interaction between the races at meeting points in the Middle East gave the distinctly Arabian group of people. Mongolids also spread into Siberia and across into Alaska and Canada where the natural environment caused them to adapt to their environments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Theres a guy down here called peter and he plays a mean game of scrabble, people travel from all over the world to play him.
    wobzilla1 wrote: »
    He's probably good because he uses all the difficult letters on ghetto words like shizzle
    That really was exceptionally racist. Well played sir, bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If the title was famous red-haired Irish people would you reply the same?
    I would, and will here.
    What does skin colour have to do with anything?
    Is anyone going to give an honest answer to this question?

Jews are not a race.
    Judaism is a religion.
    I could be a Jew in the morning if I wanted to. So could you.

Semitics on the other hand are.
    The thing is, Semitics are not exclusively Jewish. Semite is actually a language group of the people of South Western Asia and North Africa.
    I'm an anti-Semite for pointing that out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Yes, I do, the word Aryan can have several meanings depending on the context and view point.

Aryan features, blue eyes, fair skin both of which Mr. Shatter lacks in his media pictures, (maybe they are photshopped?) I have never met him but he is a respectable politician with more credibility than most of the crooks in the Dail. The thread was about Famous non White people and I just reference Alan Shatter along with a few more people.

Aryan can mean Indo European or as it is used most commonly in popular culture as a theory that was common in the last century especially with Nazi ideology. The more PC inclined may refer to the Aryan race as Caucasian or "White".

Aryan can also mean to do with the Iranian people, and some historians seem to suggest that Europeans may have originated in Iran which has some of the oldest civilisations on Earth so it would make sense, and may also fit in with the theory that the three main global races evolved from Monkeys in Africa and spread globally.

The Aryan race may have originated in Iran and Caucasus before migrating Westwards into Europe, the Mongolid Asian race then migrated eastwards across the steppe into Mongolia and China before spreading throughout the Far east with various interracial admixtures between Mongolid and Caucasian giving the different Asian races, similarly interaction between the races at meeting points in the Middle East gave the distinctly Arabian group of people. Mongolids also spread into Siberia and across into Alaska and Canada where the natural environment caused them to adapt to their environments.

The more 'wishing to communicate in common parlance' inclined, may also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Terry wrote: »
    Semitics on the other hand are.
    The thing is, Semitics are not exclusively Jewish. Semite is actually a language group of the people of South Western Asia and North Africa.
    I'm an anti-Semite for pointing that out though.

Just to clarify, semetics aren't a race. They speak one of the semetic languages...aramaic, hebrew, arabic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement