Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous Non-White Irish People?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just to clarify, semetics aren't a race. They speak one of the semetic languages...aramaic, hebrew, arabic.
    Which I actually mentioned in my post.
    Read it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Terry wrote: »
    Jews are not a race.
    Judaism is a religion.
    I could be a Jew in the morning if I wanted to. So could you.

Semitics on the other hand are.

The thing is, Semitics are not exclusively Jewish. Semite is actually a language group of the people of South Western Asia and North Africa.
    I'm an anti-Semite for pointing that out though.

I hate to nit pick. But, that is why I wrote what I wrote.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

On a serious note, why should the colour of someones skin matter?
    Well, it would in a competition to see who could generate the most vitamin k in a low light environment,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Semites is not a race. There are many races that come under the "semite" label. People who speak the semitic languages. Arabic, hebrew and a couple more not very widely spoken languages.
    The semites are basically the people who live in what is now the middle east. That is most semites are the Arabs. Be it muslims, christians or jews.

What's most ironic is that most of the 'powerful' jews. That is the one's we see in the news, media and all are Ashkenazi Jews. Who are from around south Germany. They're white europeans just like any other europeans. They're just about as Semitic as Adolf Hitler!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Jewish people are their own race, obviously it is also a religion but there is a clear race of Jews in the world. My guess is that Shatter is an Ashkenazi, note his tight hair and tanned complexion. He is not ethnically not Irish thats for sure, and his lack of Aryan features indicate this.

It depends on how vague you want to be with white of course, I am a firm believer of the single drop rule.
    How far back does your single drop rule go?? Because after 4 or 5 generations, it's nonsense tbh.

Aryan can also mean to do with the Iranian people, and some historians seem to suggest that Europeans may have originated in Iran which has some of the oldest civilisations on Earth so it would make sense, and may also fit in with the theory that the three main global races evolved from Monkeys in Africa and spread globally.
    Monkeys? Let's not get too technical...

The whole 'Aryan race' bull**** has been totally debunked as pure invention by the way. It has no basis in science whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Yes, I do, the word Aryan can have several meanings depending on the context and view point.

Aryan features, blue eyes, fair skin both of which Mr. Shatter lacks in his media pictures, (maybe they are photshopped?) I have never met him but he is a respectable politician with more credibility than most of the crooks in the Dail. The thread was about Famous non White people and I just reference Alan Shatter along with a few more people.

Aryan can mean Indo European or as it is used most commonly in popular culture as a theory that was common in the last century especially with Nazi ideology. The more PC inclined may refer to the Aryan race as Caucasian or "White".

Aryan can also mean to do with the Iranian people, and some historians seem to suggest that Europeans may have originated in Iran which has some of the oldest civilisations on Earth so it would make sense, and may also fit in with the theory that the three main global races evolved from Monkeys in Africa and spread globally.

The Aryan race may have originated in Iran and Caucasus before migrating Westwards into Europe, the Mongolid Asian race then migrated eastwards across the steppe into Mongolia and China before spreading throughout the Far east with various interracial admixtures between Mongolid and Caucasian giving the different Asian races, similarly interaction between the races at meeting points in the Middle East gave the distinctly Arabian group of people. Mongolids also spread into Siberia and across into Alaska and Canada where the natural environment caused them to adapt to their environments.

Look just to be frank, Ashkenazi Jews are not a race, if for whatever reason you want to believe they are then fair enough but there is no proof to suggest you are right.

http://media.tribune.ie/site_media/photologue/photos/2009/Aug/29/cache/ALAN_SHATTER007952_display.jpg

Look at his features, he has brown eyes, big nose, big lower, lip smaller, upper lip, dark hair and slightly tanned complexion. There is evidence that he is probably not ethnically Irish but to say he isn't white is a bit off.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭panthera

monkeys??:confused::confused:

I hate to nit pick. But, that is why I wrote what I wrote.:pac::pac:
    I worded it wrong. I suppose that makes me an anti-semite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭panthera

damn beaten to it!!!

• Advertisement

panthera wrote: »

If you want to go further back, its amoeba...

Yeah. I was wondering about that too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism

Praise God.

Jew know, I'm not sure. Arab, we all make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

+1 to Phil Babb also. :pac:

I dunno what's with the Pacman.

I only thanked his post because i thought he was refering to Phil Babb.

I like how this has turned from a thread about non-white irish people to a debate about Jews...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Homer Simpson

Look just to be frank, Ashkenazi Jews are not a race, if for whatever reason you want to believe they are then fair enough but there is no proof to suggest you are right.

http://media.tribune.ie/site_media/photologue/photos/2009/Aug/29/cache/ALAN_SHATTER007952_display.jpg

Look at his features, he has brown eyes, big nose, big lower, lip smaller, upper lip, dark hair and slightly tanned complexion. There is evidence that he is probably not ethnically Irish but to say he isn't white is a bit off.

She's an Asnkenazi Jew and at first look she doesn't look like what you'ld imagine a "jewish" person might look like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Monkeys? Let's not get too technical...

The whole 'Aryan race' bull**** has been totally debunked as pure invention by the way. It has no basis in science whatsoever.
    damn beaten to it!!!
    If you want to go further back, its amoeba...

Praise God.

Just got deja-vu reading these posts, it's happening quite a lot lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I would, and will here.
    What does skin colour have to do with anything?
    Is anyone going to give an honest answer to this question?

Jews are not a race.
    Judaism is a religion.
    I could be a Jew in the morning if I wanted to. So could you.

Semitics on the other hand are.
    The thing is, Semitics are not exclusively Jewish. Semite is actually a language group of the people of South Western Asia and North Africa.
    I'm an anti-Semite for pointing that out though.

Yep! You are correct, old boy. Semitism was actually a term coined by a German philosopher to categorise the languages of the Arabian Peninsula. Can't remember his name but I think the guy took the term "semitic" from Shaim (one of Noah's sons????).

There is a sizeable body of Jews in Ethiopia who are as black as the ace of spades. Likewise in Yemen and in Iran. They are however treated as 2nd class citizens by the Ashkenazi Jew of the Levant. Judaism is indeed not a race but a religion (and it would appear that within that religion it becomes a mindset).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Blackie Conners

Praise God.
    Yeah, everybody knows that monkeys are a totally different branch of the animal kingdom. We're related to apes.

paulosham wrote: »
    Blackie Conners

He's Jewish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

He's Jewish?

Well he has money without ever working and doesn't have a home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I remember hearing maybe n a film or interview or something, but anyway it was a New Yorker saying he was Catholic/Atheist or something but a Jew! Not Jewish mind as this was the religion to him, but a Jew as in of the race or the people.

Made sense to me when it was stated.

And regarding the skin colour question response from Terry and someone else...

Why does there need to be an ulterior motive? What's wrong with the question at hand?
    I really don't imagine such uproar if the question was, who's the hottest blond in Ireland, or who's the ugliest black haired guy, or the fattest famous woman etc. etc. What is it about skin colour that riles you all so much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Originally born in Africa but we'll claim her because of her accent!

Laura Izibor was born in Dublin and her ma is Irish. Same as Samantha Mumba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Originally born in Africa but we'll claim her because of her accent!

Originally? Was she reborn somewhere else?

According to wiki she was born in Dublin. To an Irish mother.

Advertisement