Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose home phone and broadband package please!

• 18-01-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

As of next week, the 20GB UPC broadband and home phone will be gone from my apartment.
    I need to find the best rate for a new phoneline and broadband. I spend a lot of time online in the evenings and at the weekends, and I play FIFA on xbox live a good bit, so I need broadband that can handle this.

Anybody got any suggestions?
    I was looking at the €42 a month package from Eircom for the phone and broadband, but this is only 8GB broadband. But the next one up is the 24GB package and that is €75 a month.

Anybody got any suggestions on the best package to suit me? Or even tips on terrible providers to stay away from?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom speed will depend on line length and quality, and the 24Mbps (not GB) will only be available in some areas. If you currently have an active line, you can check it out. If the line is not active, it will need to be activated before eircom will even tell you if you can get broadband or not. They won't give you any detail on an inactive line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

jor el wrote: »
    eircom speed will depend on line length and quality, and the 24Mbps (not GB) will only be available in some areas. If you currently have an active line, you can check it out. If the line is not active, it will need to be activated before eircom will even tell you if you can get broadband or not. They won't give you any detail on an inactive line.

I have no idea why I typed GB and not MB :o

Think I will just go for this http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/ngb/14/?view=Standard&GWPage=BBFixed and see how I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd give Vodafone a go.

I'd recommend them anyway, I abhor Eircon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

I would also recommend Vodafone over Eircom but am also biased by fact i despise Eircom. Am actually cancelling my contract tomorrow morning. Sick of logging complaints only to be ignored and the general dissinterest of the tech support people i have spoken to. That i hasten to add is MY personal opinion and experience of the company. Depends on where you live at the end of the day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

efb wrote: »
    I'd give Vodafone a go.

I'd recommend them anyway, I abhor Eircon

We had vodafone here and couldnt wait to get rid of it, if you have any problems with your line you'll be be forever trying to get it sorted and this is going on several problems we've had with our line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

I also wouldnt look at vodafonie again, very poor service and very poor customer service.

I have had Eircom for the past year and it has never dropped once!!

But as usual with these things it depends how much you have been burnt by which ever company you hate!!

Advertisement