Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jump the battery?

• 18-01-2011 2:19pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My bike’s battery is flat after a long period of none use, so I need to jump it. I was told you should not jump a bike from a car is this correct? Or don;t have the engine running at least..
    I have one of those battery booster packs, would that be ok to use?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

If you jump from the car you could sent to many amp's in to the bike i would think that is why people say dont use a car as a car would use a lot more amps then a bike i would use your boster pack or if you have a battery charger put it on trickle charge for a few days if you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's fine to use the car, just leave the car idling when you're jumping the bike, don't start or rev the car when the bike is connected.

You only need it on for a few seconds to start her up, then bring her for a spin and she should charge herself.

You could also try push starting it
    Ignition of , Clutch in put it in to 2nd or 3rd gear push the bike as fast as you can get a friend to help if you cant do it by your self.
    Once you reach about 5 to 10 MPH, quickly release the clutch. Apply throttle to maintain control and pull in the clutch.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    It's fine to use the car, just leave the car idling when you're jumping the bike, don't start or rev the car when the bike is connected.

You only need it on for a few seconds to start her up, then bring her for a spin and she should charge herself.

A good car battery would have a enough power to start a bike battery with out the car idling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

You could also try push starting it
    Ignition of , Clutch in put it in to 2nd or 3rd gear push the bike as fast as you can get a friend to help if you cant do it by your self.
    Once you reach about 5 to 10 MPH, quickly release the clutch. Apply throttle to maintain control and pull in the clutch.

+ make sure the kill switch is set to run! Nearly knackered myself before trying to start it and realised I'd left it to off :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Simona1986 wrote: »
    + make sure the kill switch is set to run! Nearly knackered myself before trying to start it and realised I'd left it to off :(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

3573231408_4580431c5b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

We've all done it... even know a garage that stripped a "non runner" chinese scooter to later notice a kill switch under the horn switch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Zascar wrote: »
    My bike’s battery is flat after a long period of none use, so I need to jump it. I was told you should not jump a bike from a car is this correct? Or don;t have the engine running at least..
    I have one of those battery booster packs, would that be ok to use?
    Thanks

Use the booster pack, have done this in the past with mine with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Car at idle will be fine.

Don't use a jeep or van, you will toast the starter relay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement