Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moody licence

• 18-01-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Has Any one ever got insured, or heard of anyone getting insured using a fake lisence?
    Do insurance companies check them? If so how ?.
    This is just a question, I have a full lisence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Uh-huh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

sweetswing wrote: »
    Has Any one ever got insured, or heard of anyone getting insured using a fake lisence?

If someone was insured with a fake license, then their insurance would be void, and if they had an accident they would be liable for all costs.

They can also be charged with fraud.

I'm sure they would also be charged for driving without a valid license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Insurance companies don't investigate anything until you make a claim. And then when you have an accident and attempt to make a claim, you would be convicted for driving without insurance (you are not covered if you are driving illegally), driving without a valid driving license, and fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Correct, they dont actually check when setting up the policy.
    Doesnt really make sense to me, I mean it could be easily done and would stop a lot (Or atleast a few) un-insured drivers driving on our roads.

Does anyone know if its the same in the UK or other EU countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'd imagine once the insurance company asks for your driver number and you give them a non-existent one they'll cop on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

JustLen wrote: »
    Correct, they dont actually check when setting up the policy.
    Doesnt really make sense to me, I mean it could be easily done and would stop a lot (Or atleast a few) un-insured drivers driving on our roads.

I'd imagine it makes perfect sense to the ins cos. It saves them a lot of work, and they get to keep the premia of drivers who don't claim.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine it makes perfect sense to the ins cos. It saves them a lot of work, and they get to keep the premia of drivers who don't claim.

I know that much, but surely after the countless number of times this situation has arose surely it should be made law for the companies to do so.
    I wouldnt imagine it would entail "a lot" of work if they simply requested a license number and checked it.

It doesnt make sense from the average Joe that pays over the odds for an Insurace policy due to un-insured drivers is my point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Same here in the Netherlands, the choice on the form was Dutch or EU Rijsbewijs (Driving License) I have an Irish one so ticked box 2, didnt need to send a copy or anything like that.

However I cant see someone being bothered to purchase insurance if they dont even have a license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Here in England I never had to show proof until this year when they asked for photocopies of both parts of the licence. My first time with that company but my wife is insured by them and was not asked. Different broker though and she drives a Ka, mines an S1 Exige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

Do insurance companies ask to see the lisence, a copy of the lisence, or ask for lisence number??

• Advertisement

However I cant see someone being bothered to purchase insurance if they dont even have a license.

I know of at least one person who has done this.
    Thinking being if you have a valid disk up on the windscreen along with a certificate of insurance in the glovebox, and your not a young driver and dont give the garda a poor attitude or a reason to investigate further (poor driving, excesive speed)
    Than you will never be asked to produce your license at a checkpoint etc

Therefore as long as you dont crash/ have to make a claim you will never get caught, well its not likely atleast.

Im pretty sure a lot of this goes on and thats my point, it could be easily prevented?

Do insurance companies ask to see the lisence, a copy of the lisence, or ask for lisence number??

No.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No.

The first year I was insured on my own policy I'd to send in a copy of my licence.
    Think it was with Quinn. (2006)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Stheno wrote: »
    The first year I was insured on my own policy I'd to send in a copy of my licence.
    Think it was with Quinn. (2006)

+1 the first time i got insured on different yoks on different companies i had to send in my licence so they could copy it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Depends on the insurance company. Most of them can't as they don't have access to the driver records so they cannot check if a licence is genuine.

They would still have to pay any 3rd party claims but they would sue the policyholder for the amount paid out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just don't spell it 'lisence' on the fake! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes. Renewed mine today, and had to produce mine and my husband's licences, log book and certificate of no claims. This was done in the broker's office though. Online, they only ask for proof of NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Brokers are feckers for wanting all that extra info. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quinn historically asked certain categories of drivers and not others it appears from who I know was asked and who I know wasn't - I never was. Never even asked to see it when a claim was made, in fact.

123 and FBD fleet didn't ask this year either but Allianz Fleet used to require a scan/fax of the front every year. The variance between insurers is huge and it seems Irish firms are more lax...

Advertisement