Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICF House Build. This thread should hopefully cover anyone building an ICF house

• 18-01-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Some questions, that maybe a contractor, or someone who already has this installed, may be able to help

On an ICF house:
    • In relation to KRen Plaster, which I intend to plaster most of the outside of the house.....This is a yellow coloured plaster but I have been advised that it discolours and turns a green colour after a few years, and is more suited to a warmer climate - Is this correct?
    • Would you recommend building blockwork on the outside and then plastering with KRen? or just plaster directly onto the ICF?
    • Part of the house is intended to be stonework - can the stonework be tied directly to the ICF?
    • Would you also put insulated plasterboard on the inside of the external walls, or just plaster directly onto the ICF
    • What heating system would you use? i.e. heat recovery system? Do you also need some other form of heating to supplement this system? Are radiators necessary at all?
    • Is there any point/advantage in building the garage using ICF? or would it be best recommended just to build this normally with a cavity wall and insulation?
    • How much does a heat recovery system actually cost for a 2900 sq foot house, and what is the running cost for this annually on electricity? Is there any maintenance required on these, or is the only ongoing cost just the electricity?
    • Anyone got any recommendations in relation to solar panels?
    • If underfloor heating is installed... how does this actually run? - would it need to be done via oil burner, or would the heat recovery system be able to do something on this....
    • Where does the heat recovery system generally sit, is it big and is it noisey? - I'm intending on using all of the attic space, so dont want a large system plonked in the corner somewhere
    • Have you had any problems with an ICF house build that would be avoided with a normal build?
    Really only want to spend money that I know I will get back over the next ten years on avoiding cost of oil, assuming the cost of oil stays the same etc....... - dont want to spend an extra hundred thousand on energy saving stuff, when you will be waiting 30 years to recover the additional spend!

Thanks

Advertisement