Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underwater Advice

• 18-01-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi

Have a plan to buy an underwater camera for snorkelling on summer family holiday. I've tried to do some research but boy! there are so many out there. Basically, I am looking for something with half decent battery life (some of the reviews were so negative regarding recharging etc), nothing toooooo technical for probably one of the most technically illiterate people on the planet!!

Any advice would be super, thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Talk to Paddy (PCPhoto) on here. He has done this before although I think it was an underwatr housing for his camera rather than an actual waterproof camera that he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭colly3

Thanks for that Ballyman, I looked at the housing option too, but overall, they look bulky and I have a Canon 450d which is not an option, due to all the extra bulk and the added fear of a leak!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Olympus do point and shoot waterproof cameras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I have a Canon D10 underwater camera that I use for kayaking and that I have taken diving to 10 meters (the max. rated depth). It's a superb camera, I took these on its first outing:

http://www.chrisdidthis.com/?p=306

The stills are great, and it takes repectable looking 640 * 480 video at 30fps, and the battery life is excellent (it comes with a Li-Ion battery)- I'm getting hundreds of shots over the course of a few weeks in cold conditions. It's been battered around, lain upon, frozen and heated and is still going.

My only complaint is a lack of RAW mode, but it's a P&S. 10/10 from me :)

Thanks for that SP, the photos are certainly impressive, even if I like the mountain one most!!

I have a bit of time to chose thankfully so I'm wasting soooooo much time looking at different makes / models. I'm far from expert on this subject but I'm enjoying the research!!

Just one question.... do you not find the D10 quite bulky? It appears to be a lot bigger than most models and doesn't appear to be pocket size?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

colly - if you want I'll give you a loan of a compact with underwater housing.

the quality of your images depends on the level of comfort you have while swimming/diving.

Foto_Joe does some excellent underwater work using a Canon G10 and housing.

I have a fujifilm (cant remember the model number), Canon g10 and Canon 5D ...and underwater housings for each of them.

Battery life is fine on all three - lets face it ..snorkeling you will only do for an hour or two ,..or 3 .... most batteries will last that on a single charge.

its advised that a fresh set of batteries are used every time you dive/snorkle, its common sense really....and when using a camera underwater(without flash) - do a white balance..... and use an external strobe instead of on board flash.

Where are you planning on doing the family holiday? if the water is clear there might be no need for a strobe....but a wet filter might be needed if you cant custom whitebalance.

Hi PC, my god that's a really decent offer, thank you. But.... isn't there always a but!! I would be afraid of my life I'd lose it, damage it, drown with it!!

I have never had any luck lending things.... nothing I've ever loaned anyone has come back!! So I go by the "never a lender or a borrower be" philosophy, even though I'm gobsmacked at your offer!! I really would like to buy a camera because I know it will be used in the future, I'm a bit of a sad sack that can see an opportunity for a photo at the drop of a hat in the oddest of circumstances. My biggest concern was forking out a lot of money for one that became a major disappointment.

Just as an aside, do you find the quality of the pics when using housings good? I have this idea that if you're using a perspex housing, the pics are somehow going to be a bit poor?

Not going til July so time is on my side!!

Thanks again PC, you're a gem!

Advertisement