Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapid Broadband Router

• 18-01-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here who may have used Rapid Broadband (West Cork) know if they, or I can forward ports in the router for online gaming?
    I was talking to a guy on the Playstation forum who advised that they don't allow access, just wondering if anyone has tried or done this themselves as it's getting pretty frustrating getting kicked all the time.
    Anyone providing any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you don't have access to the router, then you can't do it. Only the ISP can give you that access, and some don't allow it.

Is there even a router in place though?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

jor el wrote: »
    If you don't have access to the router, then you can't do it. Only the ISP can give you that access, and some don't allow it.

Is there even a router in place though?
    Well it's a wireless broadband so theres a receiver on the roof and then that hooks into a tiny semicircular box with 3 slots, 1 for data in, 1 for data out and 1 for power cable. I presume that is the router. That then is wired to to a lynksys thing that is like the hub i think for the wi-fi.
    So I don't actually know whether there is a router or not. Can they configure it from the office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I presume that is the router.

More than likely not.
    That then is wired to to a lynksys thing that is like the hub i think for the wi-fi.

That would be the router. If this was customised by the ISP, then they may have it password protected, and may not give you this. You'd have to ask them about that.

Even if you do have access to the router, they can also traffic shape from their end anyway, so it still might not do anything for you to forward ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Update...........reply from support guy...
    Hi,
    this is Voytek from Rapid Broadband Support

All ports are opened for xxx.xxx.x.xx- IP address of Your Sony PS. What could be affecting online gaming is wireless signal strenght on Sony PS fro Linksys wireless access point. Please make sure that it is 50% at least. If not - there might be need to hardwire it. Also please make sure that no other device (laptop) is using broadband connection at the same time. With good peer-to-peer program it will be using up all broadband speed knocking off itself (and Sony PS off course) - not possible to open up a webpage on same Laptop even.
    If nothing else using broadband and Sony PS still loosing connection - please try direct cable connection (instead of wireless). For cable network interface on Sony PS use following IP configuration:
    The configuration he is referring to is what he gave me to set up my NAT so thats already done.

Advertisement