Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to apply as a mature student?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I recently graduated from NUIG and I'm thinking of reapplying there to do something else.

I'm looking at the CAO online application form but I'm a bit confused as to whether it's necessary to tick the mature student box.

I should certainly have the points to get into the course I'm applying for so can I ignore the mature student box and apply as a regular applicant?
    It's just that a mature student application seems a bit more lengthy and comes with a lot of restrictions so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 clewis

Yup, I'm doing a second undergraduate degree in UCC, and I applied using my leaving Cert points via the CAO. No need at all to apply via the mature system, (I wouldn't even have been able to as I wasn't old enough at the time to apply as a mature student).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

clewis, if your 23 or over on the 1st January of this year then you need to go through the mature student process.
    If you don't get a place as a mature student then your application will go back through the system and you will be assessed on your points the same as non mature students!
    I know the CAO form can be really difficult to understand at times, I had to ask loads of questions on here too! There's a sticky at the top of the page that Larianne posted that I found really helpful!
    Good luck with your application! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

No you don't, but applying with both mature and points would increase your chances especially with the increase in demand for college places recently and like *lees* said if the mature application fails you have the backup plan of going through the points system. The personal statement required for mature application can take a bit of work but is worth it and there is plenty of help on hand here. I wasn't aware there were any restrictions when I was applying as a mature but obviously your doing a different course so you are in a better position to make that call as to whether to go both route or not.

Advertisement