Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaining Income from a website.

Options
  • 18-01-2011 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I did some research but it kept leading me onto crappy websites about 'Get more traffic to your website today!'...etc

I dont care about that stuff right now..

Basically just wondering how it works. I know, the more traffic you have the more money you earn obviously, but when traffic does come, I presume you gain a few cent because that traffic has seen your website and seen the Ads on it. Therefore the 'Ads' you have on your site pay you per view/click from your website to theirs?

Yeh, any help with this would be great as I'm looking on setting up a tourism page for my area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Joebits wrote: »
    I did some research but it kept leading me onto crappy websites about 'Get more traffic to your website today!'...etc

I dont care about that stuff right now..

Basically just wondering how it works. I know, the more traffic you have the more money you earn obviously, but when traffic does come, I presume you gain a few cent because that traffic has seen your website and seen the Ads on it. Therefore the 'Ads' you have on your site pay you per view/click from your website to theirs?

Yeh, any help with this would be great as I'm looking on setting up a tourism page for my area.

That's pretty much it, yep. With Google AdSense for example you get a cut of the payment made for each click - Google gets the rest obviously. You really do need significant traffic to the site to make any money this way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It depends on how you are earning money from the site

More traffic *might* mean more money, but it's not a given.

For example, a blog post that makes the frontpage of Digg (or gets tweeted by a popular user) may get a sudden surge in traffic, but that might not lead to any clicks or sales (depending on your revenue model)

Have a read of http://www.problogger.net - he's mainly talking about blogging and making money from it etc., but the same theories could apply to just about any type of website (and content)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Joebits wrote: »
    the more traffic you have the more money you earn
    That, in a few words, is the key. You have to have the traffic. Choosing the right niche and category also helps. The other aspect to keep an eye on is the competition in the category. If you are trying to get advertising revenue from a low competition (low price) category then the volume of traffic matters even more. If you are lucky, you may be able to get a good domain name for your site that will allow you to place highly in searches for your region/area. The category killer domains (the town/city/area name in .com for example) are probably long gone.

It isn't an easy business and there are loads of websites and directories out there run by people who thought they were going to compete. The average lifetime of some of them is around 18 months, perhaps slightly longer with Adsense. Unless you really know what you are doing and are capable of generating content that people want to read or use, then it is highly unlikely that you will actually make a living from such a site. But good luck with it anyway.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

it is very important to make your website readable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Naasty

I read this blog a few days ago about a single mother trying to earn her income online.
    She would randomlly type in a keyword like 'baby seats' and look through the sites 1#-10# for a simple ugly premade template.
    They would also have to be using google adsense,then she would track their adsense code and find out all the sites the person had.

Sometimes she would hit the jackpot say the person had 30 niche sites. She would target all their sites that had poor SEO & Design. Make her own and rank higher.

Thought it was hilarious,shame I didn't save the address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement